• Hey Guest, the Expo is TODAY!
    ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

real time help needed-brake bleed

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys...took the day off to remedy my brakes. Put on the new-used caliper (thanks Oleg!) and the new pads on both rears. Hooked up the handy little vacuum bottle from Harbor Freight that Romer suggested. No fluid at the rear at first, the dead caliper leaked all night, but after using the pump and also pumping the pedal, I got good fluid...for about 2 minutes, then it was mostly air with a little fluid mixed in. Went through 1 big bottle of brake fluid, alternating the pump and using the pedal, even started the truck and pumped the pedal. Still mostly air at the right rear tire. Is it supposed to take this long to fill the system with fluid, and go through 1 1/2 big bottles and still get mostly air? I don't see any leaks anywhere in the system. Let me know what you think, and if you can drop by SE Denver. :) I am calling you right now, Romer! Thanks.

Timm:confused:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Make sure all the other valves are tight. If the system was empty it make take quite a bit. I remember using about a big bottle one time redoing my fronts and upgrading to rdb.

Try bleeding that left rear one til you get some fluid then do the rest of them in order and then go back to the left rear.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
cool, I will try that. My compressor is also not very big, so the vacuum is not as strong as needed, but it is still sucking fluid and air.....

T

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
That's why I said buy 3 quarts. :D If you still have the same problem after the second quart post up or call me. I will be out and about doing errands

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
These may all be obvious, but I'll say them anyway:

Make sure you don't run out of fluid in the reservoir. If you do, you'll suck air into the system again.

You have someone pumping your brake pedal up and down, and you're working the wrench? Tell them to go slo-o-owly down, and slowly back up. Don't jam it up and down at full speed.

Tighten the bleeder valve when your helper has the brake pedal at the floor. Rhythm should be:

You: Down!
Helper: OK, the brake pedal's down to the floor. I'm holding it...
You: (tighten the bleeder valve). OK, up!
Helper: OK, the brake pedal's up.
You: (opening the bleeder valve). OK, back down...

Yes, you may well use a whole bottle. And it's likely that you'll need to bleed all four wheels.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
cool, I will try that. My compressor is also not very big, so the vacuum is not as strong as needed, but it is still sucking fluid and air.....

T

Compressor?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a wife, and she costs me way more than $149.99. And I imagine that the Bleeder Kit never says, "Are we done yet?"

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
yup, and my compressor just could not do the job. I am alone and was hoping it would help...I used a handy-dandy hockey stick to pump the pedal while I was at the back left wheel, and good strong fluid and some air came out. I pumped until I saw no more air, then tightened the bleeder. I did this on all 4 wheels plus the BV, and it is decent, but not perfect. I will go buy some more fluid, if you can stop by Ken that would be great, I will call you now. If not, maybe we can take a few minutes this weekend when I am helping with the raffle rig to bleed the brakes???

Thanks guys...

t