Random Pictures Thread

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
What comes to mind first when you see this picture? A friend was wearing the shirt at my birthday lunch yesterday.

My friend Dom Stoesser from Namibia stayed with me a couple days prior to Cruise Moab 2002, then accompanied me to the event. During our time together, I learned a lot about Namibia. Dom had a safari business there, taking tourists out in his Land Cruisers (he a couple HZJ75s and an HZJ62 IIRC). Yes, they have sand in Namibia, it's called the Kalahari Desert. They also have the Skeleton Coast, and they have lots of jungle, but it is different jungle than say, Kenya.

He told me that most of the farmers drove Land Cruisers and Hiluxes, and that the ones that had Land Rovers would put Land Cruiser axles and transmissions in them to make them stronger and last longer.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I don't think so, Al.
FerrariNo.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Agreed. That had to be robotic. I can not imaging a human doing those swirls with such precision. Plus the complex geometry, that took some serious programming. Talk about process control!
I don't think a robot is doing that. That's to much for a robotic arm to get around.
A good friend of mine that builds KOH buggies and many many other 4x4's puts down welds like that daily.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I don't think a robot is doing that. That's to much for a robotic arm to get around.
A good friend of mine that builds KOH buggies and many many other 4x4's puts down welds like that daily.

Not too much at all. I have spent quite a bit of time with customers who use robots for that kind of stuff. Very common in aerospace. And I don't believe for one second that a human could put welds down like that by hand, maybe for a stretch but not that many inches, especially all those angles.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Not too much at all. I have spent quite a bit of time with customers who use robots for that kind of stuff. Very common in aerospace. And I don't believe for one second that a human could put welds down like that by hand, maybe for a stretch but not that many inches, especially all those angles.
A professional welder that is versed in the art of tig welding can easily lay down dimes like that.
Ether way. I still think a person did it. Not a robot.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There are absolutely TIG artists who are just that good. Jody Collier of Welding Tips and Tricks is that good.

This one I think was done by Frank Wadelton, a.k.a. Frank The Welder, who is pretty famous in bike frame circles.

tig_ti_image.jpg

These are all done by hand. Not by those guys, though.

tig_image1.jpg

tig_image2.jpg

tig_image3.jpg

tig_image4.jpg

tig_image5.jpg

tig_image6.jpg

The guy who welded one of my old frames, a Rhygin, laid down some darn decent dabs. His name is Christian Jones.

tig_stainless_image.JPG

There's a couple of people within this very club over the years that are everyday darn good, like Terry, Isaac, John Henley. I wouldn't argue against any of them personally anyway. And how could I forget Adam Prosise? He's awesome. Or the guy before him at REEB (who welded mine) and Generic Cycles, Chris Sulfrian.

Last edited: