Rainbow Falls

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Did some exploring yesterday with a new map, and stumbled upon Rainbow Falls OHV area. There is also a route called Missouri Gulch and further back, Illinois Gulch.

It's off Hwy 67 south of Deckers. Looks like there are a bunch of routes to take, and plenty of places to camp. You can take the trails all the way through to Rampart Range Road.

We wheeled maybe a mile in, and then turned around. All the other vehicle we saw were ATVs. The Forest Service signs showed that full-size 4x4s, ATVs and motorcycles are all allowed.

Anyone know about this area? Here is a weak map from Google Maps.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
Last year I was coming back from Florissant and decided to come through that area when I hit a roadblock on 67 (being rebuilt from the flooding and it was closed but only on weekends :confused:).

I didn't like the mixed use. Lots of ATVs going top speed around blind corners .... almost got a couple hood ornaments. Trails very all very mild FS roads with huge banked turns from the ATV traffic.

Not a place I would spend much time (I actively avoid known ATV areas .... I will refrain from going into the :rant: I feel coming on)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
(I actively avoid known ATV areas .... I will refrain from going into the :rant: I feel coming on)

I agree with the idea, but realistically, you'll have to avoid just about any trail your vehicle is allowed on too. I think they are going to be even more bothersome on every trail as gas keeps getting more expensive and more people trade in their vehicles for atv's...

isotel

Rainbow falls is insane with Dirtbikes and Quads.. I have no desire to go back there during the summer months.. We camped up there a month ago and i had a 2 stroke wizzing by my tent every 20 seconds all morning.

this area is a clear case of over use by OHV's , (Although if i had a bike i would do some exploring up there, just maybe on a friday afternoon, never on the weekend!)

There is a couple of fun roads in that area, i know of a set of ledges that are fun to play on!.. i think its 344, or 348 on this map (there is a bypass)
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/north_divide_rainbow_falls.pdf

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Rainbow falls is insane with Dirtbikes and Quads.. I have no desire to go back there during the summer months.. We camped up there a month ago and i had a 2 stroke wizzing by my tent every 20 seconds all morning.

Good to know. That was my chief concern about camping around there, especially with small kids.

There is a couple of fun roads in that area, i know of a set of ledges that are fun to play on!.. i think its 344, or 348 on this map (there is a bypass)

Nice map! We went in on 350 to the end, hoping to see the lake, but had to turn around at a locked gate just before the lake. :mad: We wheeled in for a while on 350A, which was pretty narrow.

So would you include 344 and 348 in the "overused by ATV" category, or are these separate roads?

I wonder what these would be like in an FJ40 on a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I was down there once in my RR. A kid on a quad came flying into an intersection on me. Now, I had the truck open, roof/windows, heard it coming, and kept my 10mph speed on my road, saying to the wife "well this should be interesting". Of course, no helmet and no gear, which made it easier to see his eyes get as big donuts, and his skin go completely white!

He was able to stop, but I bet you he doesn't go that fast anymore!

isotel

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I agree with the idea, but realistically, you'll have to avoid just about any trail your vehicle is allowed on too. I think they are going to be even more bothersome on every trail as gas keeps getting more expensive and more people trade in their vehicles for atv's...

It is the heavy use areas I try to avoid. Coming across a couple of 4x4 ATVs on a trail is fine.
I dislike the areas where 2x4 Quad guys come flying up the trail like their a$$ is on fire..... the closer the proximity to Denver, the worse the problem.

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Been there twice, never again! The quads are crazy reckless, first time almost took out a quad flying around a blind banked curve, second time an asshat on a quad ran into me and banged up my front end. No helmet, no nothing and he slid sideways on the snow/ice trying to stop. Did a fair amount of damage to his ATV too. Right behind him but a little more under control was his buddy with a 7-year-old kid on the back.

Good place to stay away from...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
this area is a clear case of over use by OHV's , (Although if i had a bike i would do some exploring up there, just maybe on a friday afternoon, never on the weekend!)
Just some random thoughts.

I am by no means a quad fan. The typical quad user, IMHO and my observation, is the polar opposite of Stay the Trail and TreadLightly!.

However, you have to realize that while OHVs are becoming more and more popular in the Front Range, and the population explodes on the Front Range, the USFS in their infinite wisdom adopts policies that close trails that are marginal rather than rehabilitate, reroute, or stabilize them, and certainly they are not about to open new trails without a herculean effort on the part of a user group and maybe not even then.

So while the proximate cause of the chaos in a heavy use OHV area is the moronic ATVer flying around the corner, out of control, off the trail as much as on it, the ultimate cause is that in a shrinking pond the fish get pretty dense. Density of use due to USFS policy is the ultimate cause, and lack of enforcement funding lets it go to he!!.

It will happen to 4x4s too. For every anti-ATV rant you (understandably, and justifiably) participate in, know that there are just as many anti-4x4 rants from the Quiet Use Coalition.

We're all in this together, as Red Green is wont to say.