PTO winch install question

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I posted this question on MUD too, but haven't yet received a real response.

I got a deal on an OEM PTO winch for my 40 and I had read (on MUD) that it could be installed if using a Man-a-fre 6 into 1 header, which is what i have. Now that I have the winch on hand to look at parts and how it installs, I really see no way that the winch drive shaft can fit with the header in place. My header and exhaust run up above the skid plate right where the PTO drive and dive shaft should be.

Does anyone in the club have this set-up and could explain how the exhaust should be routed? I do not want to go back to a stock exhaust manifold and running the exhaust pipe below the skid plate seems like a bad idea. I'm willing to replace the exhaust after the header, but not the header itself unless there's no other way.

Thanks! :beer: :thumb:

arthog

Hard Core 4+
I allways thought you could NOT run a PTO with ANY header. I think you will have to install the PTO and see where or if the exhaust will work. good luck with that.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Martin,

I'm pretty sure my 40 has the Man-a-Fre headers on it that your welcome to come look over and see how stuff is routed. Or if you want I could snap some pics next week. I was going to drive the 40 to the meeting on Wednesday but silly me decided now would be a good time to put on my new rear and front blinkers :doh:...As usual things are taking way longer than planned due to PPO "modifications" :(

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I allways thought you could NOT run a PTO with ANY header. I think you will have to install the PTO and see where or if the exhaust will work. good luck with that.

Apparently it has been done with this header but requires some grinding of the flange. Mine just has some funky routing of the exhaust beyond that point that will definately cause some issues, but I need to replace those sections anyway.

Martin,

I'm pretty sure my 40 has the Man-a-Fre headers on it that your welcome to come look over and see how stuff is routed. Or if you want I could snap some pics next week. I was going to drive the 40 to the meeting on Wednesday but silly me decided now would be a good time to put on my new rear and front blinkers :doh:...As usual things are taking way longer than planned due to PPO "modifications" :(

Jeff, if you have the Man-a-fre 6 into one, I would be curious to see where your flange is located in relation to the frame rail, oil pan and clutch cover from underneath. Thanks. I hope you can get your repairs finished soon.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Martin- I have the 6 into one headers as well, I could snap some pics if it would help you?

Drew

Drew, thanks, that would be great. If you can get a picture underneath of where the header flange and pipe exhaust pipe come together, that would be helpful. I'm trying to see where the flange is in relation to the frame rail. mine looks like it may have been re-welded.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Martin,

Here are the pics I took tonight before reading what you were wanting to see. I just started up front and worked my way back. Let me know if you need a better pic. I'm not sure if these are the Man-a-Fre headers or not...The PPO seemed to like buying stuff from Man-a-Fre but I could not find a receipt in the book I have showing he purchased the headers from Man-a-Fre...

Looking at the pics it appears I have something resting on the exhaust that probably shouldn't be :eek: - Not sure what that is, maybe my e-brake cable.

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).jpg
    1 (Medium).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 2 (Medium).jpg
    2 (Medium).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 3 (Medium).jpg
    3 (Medium).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 4 (Medium).jpg
    4 (Medium).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 5 (Medium).jpg
    5 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 249

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
More pics...

Attachments

• 6 (Medium).jpg
    6 (Medium).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 7 (Medium).jpg
    7 (Medium).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 8 (Medium).jpg
    8 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 235

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for taking the pics and posting them Jeff. Looks like you have something other than the Man-a-fre headers, maybe the SOR 6 into 2. ??

Wow, it's clean under there!! :eek::D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for taking the pics and posting them Jeff. Looks like you have something other than the Man-a-fre headers, maybe the SOR 6 into 2. ??

Wow, it's clean under there!! :eek::D

Could be :confused:...Sorry they aren't what you are looking to see and had a feeling they were not the Man-a-Fre 6:1 headers after looking at the pics but I'm header illiterate :D

As for being clean...Well, when you keep is off the road it is easy to keep it clean :(. That will hopefully change in a couple weeks :thumb: