Programming two-way radio

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
It was recommended that I get a radio, specifically a Baofeng BF-F8HP and a programming cable. They recently arrived and I was wondering if anyone had any guidance on how to program them specifically for the channels you guys are using during group events? Referencing the post for the upcoming Yankee Hill run:

gmrs channel 20
cb channel 4

I'm very familiar with marine radios and etiquette however not at all with these radios. I'd appreciate any advice and thank you!

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
Thanks @mikedrom - CHIRP looks more appealing than the app the programming cable wants me to download. Am I to understand that the radios won't be able to communicate with the group (on channel 20) out of the box? I ask because in the article you linked it states:

You can simply say "let's use channel 16," for example, and anyone on an FCC-approved GMRS radio should be able to talk to you.

Is that not the case with these radios? If not then I imagine I would need to program channel 20 to be 462.6750 as per the chart you linked.

Thanks again for the links and I'll go ahead and look into getting a license.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
These radios are not programmed out of the box.

Which segues into a disclaimer that should be mentioned since the club I'm sure does not want to condone illegal behavior. It's not technically legal to use that radio on GMRS and FRS. You can use them legally for ham.

So, that said, there are key parameters that a radio needs for use on GMRS. One is frequency but as well as bandwidth, power and privacy tones.

The chart over at Radio Reference has the FRS and GMRS bandwidths:

FWIW, there is a chart compiled with FCC-approved GMRS and FRS radios. I also just uploaded a chart that shows the various tone codes if anyone wants to pre-select them.

Last edited:

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
It's not technically legal to use that radio on GMRS and FRS. You can use them legally for ham.
Oh hope I didn't open Pandora's box. 😬 So what all radios do you guys use for runs and whatnot?

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver - you’re totally right about the BF not being an approved GMRS radio… I honestly forgot about the specifications GMRS radios need to meet.

That being said, these radios CAN communicate right out of the box simply by keying in the desired frequency (called VFO mode), but as Dave mentioned, it’s not technically legal for GMRS use.

I take the 5th when I’m asked if I use my ham radios (including the F8HP) for GMRS…

…but I do have midland GMRS handhelds!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We use the default FRS channels + ham radio (for those who are licensed). Our default ham channel is 146.460 on 2 meter but we have other common frequencies if there is chatter on that one.

This is the FRS radio that many of us have:
https://midlandusa.com/collections/x-talker/products/t71vp3
You can get them from Amazon too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Oh hope I didn't open Pandora's box. 😬 So what all radios do you guys use for runs and whatnot?
Most people use one of the Midland GMRS radios for an off-the-shelf solution. Most true GMRS legal radios (at least still made new) won't need any programming. Those GXT1000 are popular and a perfectly fine option.

To call it a Pandora's Box is probably a diplomatic way to put it and better discussed around a campfire.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I just looked at the Yankee Hill post. It says we'll be using "GMRS channel 20" which isn't really correct. We'll be using FRS channel 20 for communications. The handful of people in the club with GMRS licenses can communicate with the FRS users on the same channel.

It also says "CB channel 4" which is unlikely to actually happen since so few people in the club are running CB radios anymore.

@DomOfTheDead: you may want to correct this for future runs.

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
Most people use one of the Midland GMRS radios for an off-the-shelf solution. True GMRS legal radios won't need any programming.

To call it a Pandora's Box is probably a diplomatic way to put it and better done around a campfire.
Welp not sure why I was recommended these then. I'll go ahead and purchase a couple GMRS radios however likely won't be here by the 13th. Thank you.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I just looked at the Yankee Hill post. It says we'll be using "GMRS channel 20" which isn't really correct. We'll be using FRS channel 20 for communications. The handful of people in the club with GMRS licenses can communicate with the FRS users on the same channel.

It also says "CB channel 4" which is unlikely to actually happen since so few people in the club are running CB radios anymore.

@DomOfTheDead: you may want to correct this for future runs.
Noted and will fix that. CB channel 4 was just a inside joke

RDub

If you have Amazon Prime (I know, many hate Amazon) this is a great deal:

Limited-time deal: Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Radio Handheld 5W Long Range Two Way Radio for Adults, GMRS Repeater Capable, with NOAA Scanning & Receiving, Display SYNC, for Off Road Overlanding Family Use, 1 Pack https://a.co/d/fGInjMG

RDub

Well that’s hilarious. Missed your post by a second. You’re already setup and with the same radio. Nice.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
Well that’s hilarious. Missed your post by a second. You’re already setup and with the same radio. Nice.
I made sure they were the ones marked "for adults".