Programing a rig with a MAC?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
How inconvenient is it to program with a desk top? I have an old PC at home and my work one of course.
I program the handheld here at work with a desktop, but the mobile in the truck is a pain. Either you have to drag it inside and rig up a bench supply or drag the computer outside to the truck. A laptop would be really handy for programming the mobile.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Do they make really long connection cords? :hill:

Seriously though, say you could get within 100' of your computer and run a long cable out to the rig? I'm thinking I could get a rig in my LX within 25-30' of my desktop by running a cable out the window :dunno:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Why don't we all load our programming software to the club laptop. Then we can easily create common programming speadsheets. That way when ever we are in the field we could easily jump into any of our friends vehicles if need be and quickly pull up what we need and communicate! Those without laptops can still easily upload programming while at CM or at club meetings.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
We don't need that kind of creative thinking around here!

That sounds great to me :bowdown:

How would that work with different brand rigs?

That is the part about loading software! Someone still needs to do the software purchase the first time. I now have SW for the Yaesu VX-7r HT and the FT8800r. I think someone has SW for the 7800 in the club? If we all loaded up the club LT with the software and as a club we make the perfect database to upload we would all benefit greatly! The cool thing was everyone would have basically the same stored memory so our licensed wives or any of our licensed selfs could go easily use anyone else's in the clubs machines easily ad very quickly without losing any user settings!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+