Prep for Paint

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
What does it take to prep a vehicle for paint? What did the gang do for the raffle vehicle, sand down the finish? What if you are changing paint colors?

TIA

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Chris-

This is kinda like asking what it takes to rebuild an engine.

There is a lot to it. One initial step I see a lot of people missing is wiping the entire vehicle down in wax/degreaser. Otherwise you can still fish-eye your final coat of paint and not know why from wax still being in the base layer.

but for a total repaint there is a TON of work!

The big picture is...

Disassemble
Strip/sand the existing paint.
Repair all needed area's
Smooth everything out.
Clean everything up/dust it all off.
Epoxy coat
Primer coat
sand
Primer coat
sand
Primer coat
sand
Color coat
Color coat
Color sand
Clear coat
clear coat.
reassemble.

That is about it. ;) :D

Drew

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Yeah. So how did the raffle vehicle get stripped? Just sand it down? Can you use power tools or is it by hand? Or is it better to media blast?

Chris-

This is kinda like asking what it takes to rebuild an engine.

There is a lot to it. One initial step I see a lot of people missing is wiping the entire vehicle down in wax/degreaser. Otherwise you can still fish-eye your final coat of paint and not know why from wax still being in the base layer.

but for a total repaint there is a TON of work!

The big picture is...

Disassemble
Strip/sand the existing paint.
Repair all needed area's
Smooth everything out.
Clean everything up/dust it all off.
Epoxy coat
Primer coat
sand
Primer coat
sand
Primer coat
sand
Color coat
Color coat
Color sand
Clear coat
clear coat.
reassemble.

That is about it. ;) :D

Drew

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I media blast everything but that is just me. Every single tiny bit of rust you leave behind WILL come back. If you sand by hand/machine you need to be careful not to burn through the edges. The theory behind sanding instead of stripping to bare metal is that you want a good bond to the metal. A finish that has withstood the elements for 20+ years is an excellent choice. You still need something to bond to that surface and primer creates that bond. Basically primer bonds to everything including primer but paint will only bond to the primer if you get the temp/recoat times correct.