• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Pre-New Year's Run - Slaughterhouse - Thurs 12/30/21

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
Wifey and I are looking to get a quick Slaughterhouse run in this week to break in the new lift/suspension on my 4R. We're looking at either Wed or Thurs morning.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anybody else was interested/able to join us.

Thinking of meeting in Bailey around 830ish then heading out from there.

We have 2 Midland FSR radios we can share if needed to help front/back.

Anyhow, please let us know if you're interested and which day so we can put it down in ink.

Thanks,

Erik

edit 12/28: we are going Thursday morning, 12/30

Last edited:

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
I haven't figured that out...Not any snow in the metro area but not sure how it is out by Bailey

yet

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
I was up in conifer the other day, there was minimal snow. But I haven't been up any higher.

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
from what I can tell, maybe a few inches but not sure if I'm reading this right

doesn't look like much in the forecast either

???

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Got a dusting near Bailey Friday afternoon. Mostly gone by Saturday afternoon. Slaughterhouse should be fine - but check when the seasonal closure starts.
We won't be going to Slaughterhouse for the NY Day run, but we have in the distant past!

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
re: seasonal closure, I'll call the US Forest Svs/Pikes Nat'l Forest ranger office (or whatever it's called) tomorrow

got the number from the Funtreks page for Slaughterhouse

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The latest order is posted here:

Slaughterhouse is NFSR 101 and 105 under Park County in Exhibit D. Closed from January 1 through May 15. But, according to the mile marker locations and the map, it only looks like the loop is closed between the cattle guards at the top of each side. The other section past the loop on 101 on the closure map has been closed and gated for 16 years. :mad:

Here is the map, with Slaughterhouse in the upper right:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd969258.pdf

Last edited:

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
Thank you, @MountainGoat, for the MVUM and trail closure list.

We are going to do this Thursday morning, Dec 30. We'll be to the Loaf n Jug in Bailey @ 0830-ish and head out around 0900-ish. We'll take 15min-ish for air down and head out around 0930-ish.

We'll take our time but it definitely won't be a long day on the trail. If wifey decides she wants to give it a go we might hit the trail a 2nd time. We'll see.

Loaf n Jug - 173 Bulldogger Rd, Bailey, CO 80421
Trail head is here if you prefer to meet there: https://goo.gl/maps/6eTNPAHEvVDCQBxF9 ( 39°29'44.8"N 105°31'56.0"W ... 39.495778, -105.532222 )

Please let me know if you're interested and where you want to meet: Loaf n Jug or Trailhead.

Thanks,

Erik

twopullupeddie

New-ish
@ErikM I am interested in joining you on Dec 30th. I’ll be coming out of the Springs.
I’ll DM you my number…
I’ll try to talk the wife into coming too!
Eddie

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
That's awesome! I got your dm.

Hope your wife is able to make it too

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
Sounds good. We'll watch for you at Loaf n Jug.

RedRunner2016

Brand New
I won't be able to get out on Thursday but I am trying to check out Slaughterhouse on Saturday Morning; I'd love to hear what you guys thought of the trail!

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Won't be able to make it. I just got a call that there's a gas leak at my rental house. I'm on my way to meet Xcel energy up in Thornton. Hoping the house isn't going to explode & there won't be too much digging...

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
That sucks @VoodooBlue_Vixen

It's 0715 and we're a bit behind schedule. I thought we'd have left 30min ago but leaving now.

Gas and then I25 south.

We're coming from Firestone so should be there 0845ish, I think

Old Man Greybeard

Rock Stacker
Looking at the clouds hanging over the front range, I wonder how far we'll get today.

We'll find out soon enough.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Ugh. Just waking up... What a fun night of tearing up the front yard of my rental. 😖

Attachments

• 661564441.jpg
    661564441.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 114