Powder-coating rear bumper. Pros/cons?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
So, I'm having Proffitt's build me up a bumper and just assuming it will not be Powder coated. (I should probably talk to him about it, huh?) It'll be ready end of Sept/beg of Oct. - and I'm doin' some homework.

Any-hoo....Should I have them PC'd? or not? If so, where do you guys recommend?

Here's my thought....

My "2badfjs sliders" are just spray bombed and when I scratch'em up, I shoot some paint and they look almost good as new...I kinda like that.

What are your thoughts?

CardinalFJ60

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
rattle can

If you are going for that "show" look then powdercoat. If you are treating the bumper as a skid plate then forget it. As you drop off that ledge that you thought you'd clear and hear that metal on rock sound, maybe even have to give it a little gas to get those rear wheels in contact with the ground, you'll be glad you didn't spent the extra money on the paint. I'm happy with that 20 foot look. Ok 50ft...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
K

kgasdad

if you do decide to go with the powder coat I would use Premium powdercoating right off I-25 at the longmont exit (hwy 119 i think). They do a great job. powder coating is really only as good as the prep work. Premium powder coat sandblasts, then phosphate washes every part that coat and i think thet even warranty the finish (well maybe not on a bumper on a cruiser). any way hope that helps.

Just my 2 cents. My ARB front and my Stout rear bumpers on my Taco were powder coated. They held up very well considering the abuse that I heaped upon them. I touched them up with paint every so often to fix the scapes. The sliders, however, were spray painted periodically.

Matt

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I would powder coat it.

My bumpers are powder-coated, and show NO damage - and I have not been kind to my rig. There's no WAY I can keep up with the carnage on my rock sliders - they're rattle-canned.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I vote powder-coat as well!!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i'll add to the quality powder coat...i've banged and cut on my arb and you can barely tell.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Nicht. You'll hate having fun on trails if you do. I vote for Hammerite Black, don't even spray it on. ROLL it on, no kidding! I painted my wife's sliders in it, it looks TERRIFIC and touches up with a roller, no overspray, no waste, easy.

I even painted the Chili's grille with the stuff. My new fav.