Pie cuts to bend square tubing?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy-

I am going to give this a shot. I want to use some square tubing to make my fenders for my trailer. Will cutting a bunch of slits in the steel net a curve? I used this technique with wood before and I am thinking steel wouldn't be that hard?

What about heating the tubing up with a torch, would that be faster? Cleaner?

Thanks!

Drew

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Relief cuts would be better than bending. The tube will crush if you try to bend it. Another trick I have heard of is fill the tube with sand before bending it. The sand is supposed to support the tube and keep it from crushing.

Howdy-

I am going to give this a shot. I want to use some square tubing to make my fenders for my trailer. Will cutting a bunch of slits in the steel net a curve? I used this technique with wood before and I am thinking steel wouldn't be that hard?

What about heating the tubing up with a torch, would that be faster? Cleaner?

Thanks!

Drew

Beater

Hard Core 4+
root's right, section it, but not multiple cuts. and you will need to heat it. if you don't have a rosebud torch, you can use mine if you are victor. or bring it by
j

IanB

You can get dies for bending square tubing.

I cut it on a bandsaw and weld it, but that's me. You can always grind the welds smooth and hit them with a flapper disk for a "one piece" look.