Pesky Rear Diff Bolt

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
So, the bolt in the rear diff of my project 40 wouldn't come out with the 24mm socket OR a pair of vice grips. What do I try next, a hammer & chisel? I can't find my PB Blaster (the wife prolly stole it :rolleyes:). I really don't want to take the cover off, but..... :eek:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The filler or the drain?

edit: on the filler I've had the best luck with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Put the bar on pointed down a little, but sorta parallel with the axle. Then use a small jack to lift the end of the breaker bar while all your weight is pushing on the end of the socket, keeping it on tight. Usually just before a tire lifts off the ground that sucker will pop free...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If you've stripped the bolt then you can do the "weld a new one on" trick. Other than that I'd try the above suggestions, and get some PB Blaster next time you're out and about :D

The filler or the drain?

edit: on the filler I've had the best luck with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Put the bar on pointed down a little, but sorta parallel with the axle. Then use a small jack to lift the end of the breaker bar while all your weight is pushing on the end of the socket, keeping it on tight. Usually just before a tire lifts off the ground that sucker will pop free...

Good tip. This will probably save my filler plug from getting stripped. Thanks! :thumb:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Vise grips rounded mine up nicely. I'll try some heat. I'll get it eventually. :eek:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
pound a slightly smaller socket on and hit it with a hand impact

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Sometimes cutting a slot into it and using a 90 degree big ol' screwdriver can get it too. But tacking a nut onto it usually heats it enough and gives you something to grab onto works great.