Oz Tent

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
With another puppy on the way our RTT days are likely over. I plan to pull and sell the tent on the 80 and convert to a ground tent.

Does anyone have experience with Oz Tent? The RV series look pretty cool. Im also tired of having to close up and pack the tent anytime we want to move camp.

Open to other thoughts on ground tent options that fit the bill. We have a few backpacking tents. Im looking for something robust where weight is not a concern. The benefit of being able to swap it between vehicles quickly is also a plus.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I have always wanted to try one of those style tents. They look robust.

We ditched our rooftop tent a few years ago and went to a Gazelle tent. There are lots of options now for the “hub” style tents. You can get them insulated as well.

It’s about 3-5 minutes from packed away to deployed with the rain fly. We have the T4.

IMG_2389.jpegIMG_2382.jpeg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I had one. It sets up fast and is great. The problem is carrying it due to the length. I so0ld it and bought a Jet tent and was much happier with it. It can fit in the back of the cruiser

https://adventure-ready.com/store/jet-tent-f-25/ I don't know anything about this site I linked. Family tents use to have them but they don't anymore. It is also made by Oz tents

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have a copy of one.. same basic deal just not brand name Oz Tent.. it does set up pretty quick unless the fabric gets tangled up in the fabric a bit too much, and it puts away fairly fast also. Only real beef is it's just huge- like 6' long tube about 1' in diameter, so it has to go on the roof and get strapped down, which isn't always ideal.

IMG_0585.jpg

edit: I've actually got a second one, NIB... was gonna bring it to the Expo this year. It has a little awning that can be rolled up, or extended and set up with poles, or even attached to your vehicle awning. I usually don't go to the trouble though, and just leave that part rolled up. like this:
IMG_8935.jpg

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
I am running a Nissan 10’x10’ tent that I really like. Leave in place, back up and connect it. Also gives me access to my rear tailgate for cooking, hygiene etc. leave it open, use just the mosquito net or close it up. Packed up 28”x 15” circumference, ~ 25 lbs. setting up by myself not to bad. With 2 maybe 4-6 min.
Backing in to connect, sometimes take me a few times to line up.IMG_6620.jpegIMG_6833.jpegIMG_6266.jpegIMG_6268.jpeg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@fyffer SOR sold a tent like that once upon a time too, I think it specifically fit Cruisers.

@KC Masterpiece Karen and I went from a 2P backpacking tent to a big 4P last year. We looked at a lot of stuff: Oz, Luxe teepees, Springbar, Seek Outside, Gazelle, Kodiak, etc. Ultimately most were more than we wanted to spend and were big and heavy when packed. We ended up with an REI Base Camp 4. It was on sale at the time for $300. The only negative compared to some of the others is a lower headroom. The rainfly is much more aerodynamic so it’s great in the wind and rain. The two vestibules are big. The ventilation windows allow cross flow at ground level, chest height (sitting up) or at the peak, or any combination of those. It’s pretty light (just over backpacking weight) and packs small. We have zero regrets. Plenty of room for 2-3 people and a couple dogs plus gear.

976BB0C7-0294-4224-B73A-D7705FCCCF9D.jpeg

6A5E6621-4C6E-435E-B55D-A59A0F15416E.jpeg

Those are the best photos I have.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
We have a 6 man turbo tent that's been pretty great for us. I looked at their reviews on Amazon and they are either glowing, or funny negative reviews like "We got a foot of heavy wet snow on it and it bent a pole and we are mad" haha ok.

My understanding is its similar in design to some of the OZ Tents. We've had it now for 5 years and have used it about 10-20 nights a year. It has good standing room and ventilation and the material is plenty durable. Camping in a lot of wind up in Wyoming it has done OK but the standing room is a double edge sword in that it has a higher wind profile.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I've been using a ShiftPod Mini the last year and absolutely love it. It sets up in under a minute, it's super quiet and dark on the inside, very stable in the wind and doesn't make loud flapping noises, and it's well insulated. It looks like they are 15% off right now and they are in stock which is rare. Even at full price of $799 I think it's a great deal compared with the OzTent or a roof top tent.

Works great with solar - this is an EcoFlow 100w flexible panel that charges an EcoFlow River Pro on the inside to run lights, charge devices, and lots more.

AP1GczOTyHY69lOcF7MZRNKhrMnT92zd74rlSprNTAQ1NVjHHkUV9NQjGsw4JUhGb7AHuVzxsMd6y0x7DVjHKk6v8wwCecuqA4yrGIbWI4WX5zqwBHyKNMUiKzW9ACbzHg_QYN6KV5I6RtBHu60Cn7WlwuC7MQ=w2209-h1242-s-no-gm

Warning - people might think you are a space alien though

AP1GczOcZ9DuoAwxSwoG4sZTDSXl5HDleKbxbAqRdCKAjSyEKt3ashOo7XvftJ8fYwy9vMrz82YPHb0ZvZUVhDYoH1Do147TQtbBQvhMudKKT3dvUca25_Kn6UWaJtxFv3beb6GEoJYAQijx11YeDtJxErsbbg=w698-h1242-s-no-gm

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think if I were to go back to a ground tent for car camping I’d start my search with a Springbar or similar from the hunting world. I’ve never had good luck with the large family sized tents from all the backpacker tent companies. They build them too light and the big tents don’t handle wind very well. We had a 6 person Sierra Designs family tent and it was the reason we got the pop-up camper. Plus these canvas style walls tents generally will accept a stove jack if you wanted heat.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Those tents look nice. Too nice for my woofers. We went all around Europe with the RTT and the pups sleeping in the bed of the truck. This is at the camp ground at Mont-Saint-Michel. They have their own cheap ground tent too.
1A46C45B-B81F-49DB-B83A-DDEEA0468061_1_201_a.jpeg

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Done the RTT, RV-5 and now the Turbo Tent. I liked the Oz Tent but was a bit big when packed up and had to ride on top of the RR. I like the pack size, ease of set-up and room of the Turbo Tent and will be using it at CM next week if you'd like to see one.

IMG_6703.png
IMG_6706.png
IMG_6705.png
IMG_6704.png