Other things to do while I'm broke...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I figure since I ran out of t-case oil for about 5 miles coming back from Kane Creek I'd better pull the t-case and check it out. I've also noticed that when I'm in 4high and let off the gas I get a pretty nasty noise from my t-case, so I'd like to check that out too - any suggestions on what it might be?

I'm hoping that once I get it put back together it won't leak anymore, that would be swell...

Also wondering if, since the birfs are out anyway, I should swap to the shorter fine spline birfs and Aisin hubs. Have no idea what that would cost, but have been thinking about it. Opinions? Is now a good time or should I lick my wounds and get it back together as quickly as possible? With winter coming I would like to have a 4x4 and I don't really like throwing a ton of money at it, I have other things I'd like to get...

And then I could always go with the minitruck knuckles that are supposedly stronger I think...here's where the slippery slope begins...

wesintl

RS Moderator
a $50 course 3rd member and put it back together. Be done and upgrade when time and $ permits

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I agree, if it ain't broke... keep going till you break it! :D

Then upgrade. You'll be happier with the money spent elsewhere for now.

Drew

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'm with Wes and Drew...

My problem is that I keep waiting until the 40 is perfect before getting her out of the garage which is an absolute shame to a vehicle that should be driven :( - Don't fall into that trap...

I need to get my parking brake fixed (for some reason it will grab in reverse after being set which makes backing out of the garage a PITA), find the stereo fuse that blew, do something with the carb, and just drive the dang thing!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
zero downtime. If you want to play with the axles, go buy a housing and build it on the side. Once you have it all purdy, take a few hours and swap it in.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, that's where I'm kinda leaning. I'll fix what's broke now, which should be sufficient because now I know my limits and I'll keep it off of trails that I shouldn't be on, and then be pro-active in acquiring parts slowly over time to get what I really want later on down the road. I'd better write down what I want though or else it might change on me :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Okay, that's where I'm kinda leaning. I'll fix what's broke now, which should be sufficient because now I know my limits and I'll keep it off of trails that I shouldn't be on, and then be pro-active in acquiring parts slowly over time to get what I really want later on down the road. I'd better write down what I want though or else it might change on me :eek:

Matt,
Your 40 is more than capable enough for most normal trails in Moab! What happened to you sounds like more of a fluke than being out of your league! No matter how set up your rig is, things happen! You can throw all kinds of money into a rig and still break in the parking lot! Factors that you need to look at and are hardest to abide by are your budget and whether or not the vehicle is your only transportation. In other words pushing your skill level and vehicle performance beyond comfort zone can and often does push the happy wallet factor. That of course leads to the second part of how long can you be without the vehicle after something happens and before you can repair the weak link that failed. But you also learn more skilz which is easier on the hardware/wallet. I agree with others that you should throw in a replacement chunk (cheap) for now. Your rig, as set up now, is pretty tough and broken pinions on a SUS/2F/31" tired truck just are not the norm! Decide where you want to end up then spend your hard earned $'s on upgrades that correspond to that blue print! You can relax as you're in Rising Sun and we always watch each others backs but wheeling is not a cheap hobby either! Wat-chu want doood? ;) :thumb::thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yep. I think I just need to simmer down a little bit, get some money in the bank, be smart about my finances and let my dreams relax for a little while. I'm lucky to even have the truck by now (wasn't expecting to get it until after I graduated anyway, but then we found a good one about 3 years before expected), and I've had a lot of fun with it so far, learned a lot, and as long as I'm smart it will do everything I want and definitely be all I need for quite a while. It's just easy to be envious when you're so small you know? ;)

wesintl

RS Moderator
It's just easy to be envious when you're so small you know? ;)

Envious are the built 40's wondering how your little 31's make it look so easy. :bowdown:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
...then be pro-active in acquiring parts slowly over time...

You've earned your nickname Radar...Put it to good use :D

x2 on what Wes says as well :thumb:

FJBen

If I ever get off my butt...I'll have some fine spline axles (mini-truck) that I'm going to sell. I have 30 spline longs to go in...someday...soon hopefully. :D

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Envious are the built 40's wondering how your little 31's make it look so easy. :bowdown:

We saw that on Poughkeepsie, didn't we? :thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I was thinking about that...but then I was also thinking about minimum requirements for trails at Moab, like the overnight run and Elephant Hill, which I am hoping to do soon...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If I'm leading E-Hill, you're welcome to join me on 31s. Experienced driver makes a huge difference.