• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

options on 74 40

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Hi everyone,

I finally went to go and try and bring that 74 4j40 home last night. Spent many hours in the cold rain but didn't bring the truck home.

Mostly because they hadn't gotten everything ready to go like they said they were going to so I spent a ton of time digging parts out of nooks & crannys.

but the reason I ended up not moving the 40 was this.

It has an offy intake, with header & holley carb on it (from years ago, supposedly the source of the 20-25 miles per gallon). I got it started pretty easily after it charged for a while, but it would die out again really quickly if I didn't keep the rpms up. Then I noticed that there was gas pouring out of the carb and onto the header. I didn't want to try driving it & end up with a fire, so I left it.
I can always rent a tow dolly and get it home that way, but I wouldn't mind getting it running as quickly/cheaply as possible. I plan on doing a lot with it, but I wouldn't mind getting to drive it some for a little while before it goes completely under the knife...

So what would you guys do?
1. rebuild the holley carb (not a great idea I figure, but a carb rebuild kit would be cheap & it would give me a chance to try that on a carb I don't care too much about if I screw up).
2. buy a new holley carb since that is how it is currently set up
3. but a new or used oem carb. (preferably one that just needs to be bolted on so that I can roll quickly, rather than works, but needs a rebuild).

Thanks for any advice.

Best,
Abe

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I would go back to stock. Find and OEM intake and carb, buy a cheap header and be done. :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I rather like Holley carbs, myself. And more efficient intake manifolds. Did a Holley on a Dodge van and it was MUCH improved, and did an Offy intake on a Chevy LUV, likewise improved. From what I've seen of the F motors, it wouldn't take much to make an improvement in intake efficiency, but that is IMHO.

I'd rebuild it, you are out next to nothing. It sounds like the typical sort of disorder caused by bad gas, varnished float needles, partially plugged pilot jets, that sort of thing. Very easy to rectify, if a little time consuming.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I like Holleys too but it the case of Cruisers a rebuilt stock carb is vastly superior to a Holley!

I rather like Holley carbs, myself. And more efficient intake manifolds. Did a Holley on a Dodge van and it was MUCH improved, and did an Offy intake on a Chevy LUV, likewise improved. From what I've seen of the F motors, it wouldn't take much to make an improvement in intake efficiency, but that is IMHO.

I'd rebuild it, you are out next to nothing. It sounds like the typical sort of disorder caused by bad gas, varnished float needles, partially plugged pilot jets, that sort of thing. Very easy to rectify, if a little time consuming.

wesintl

RS Moderator
right now i'd rebuild it but I wouldn't hope that will get you home either. I would trailer it til you can get it going right.

Down the road i'd look into getting the parts for a stock carb...

JMHO

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I've got an F intake you can have cheap. :D

Attachments

• Intake Manifold 1.JPG
    Intake Manifold 1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 836

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Abe, could you tell where exactly the fuel was coming from? Maybe it is a cracked/split fuel line leading/attached to the carb that could be sniped and reattached to fix the leak :dunno:

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Abe, could you tell where exactly the fuel was coming from? Maybe it is a cracked/split fuel line leading/attached to the carb that could be sniped and reattached to fix the leak :dunno:

That is a good idea! By the time we got to starting it, it was dark & we had a poor flashlight. So, i couldn't say for certain. But the spot where the fuel was dripping (at least the only spot that I could see) was almost directly under the place where the soft fuel line was attached to the carb. I have some extra hoses & such at my house. I will bring those with me on Sunday just in case. that would be super cool if that is all it is!

thanks for the ideas!

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
So, looking at them from the outside, the Offy intake looks almost identical to the F intake Sharkbait posted above.

So what is the real difference between them??? I always do like original Toyota OEM, just because they build such good products. But, if the offy runs well, what would be the benefits of switching back?

Also, for the time being (to save money for other stuff) I am thinking of trying to just rebuild the Holley that is on it & move on to other stuff. Then I could try to buy an OEM carb for it down the road...