• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Old Chinaman's Gulch Run - Sat. May 17th

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Meet at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village at 9am and leave at 9:30. Air down at the truckstop and be all ready to hit the trail for the day.

Hopefuly you guys will have enough time to re-tune and rest after flexing out in Moab. I'm sure looking forward to it after resting my runner for the winter.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I was going on the same day with FR4x4, why don't we combine? I although I was thinking 9:30 meet, 10:00 to trail since that is probably reality for me :D

I am having serious Moab withdrawal and looking forward to getting out again!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Interested...
But I need to build my steel rock repellants after last time up there! Or else my spidey sense tells me I'll be sorry!

Somewhere between hanging doors at the home place.

Geez, everything is a fab-it-quick ordeal, thought that was finished at CM!!
Oh well, it gets my rear in gear.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I was going on the same day with FR4x4, why don't we combine? I although I was thinking 9:30 meet, 10:00 to trail since that is probably reality for me :D

I am having serious Moab withdrawal and looking forward to getting out again!

Hum, running with them could be fun. How many people are you expecting? I am expecting to have a small group and prefer to start earlier that 10am. Perhaps we start as planned at at 9:30. In my experience we would all end up all meeting on the trail around whale rock and the double slab anyway.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Just a couple of us guys with 80's confirmed. I'm guessing maybe 5 or 6 by the time we are done. I'll give it until next week and see what the commitment looks like. 9:00 am is ok with me.

I just want to run OCG on the 17th, beyond that is gravy to me :hill:

Chris

Hard Core 4+
One step ahead of me as usual Nay. Just noticed RS and FR planning the same run on the same day and was going to suggest we join up with each other.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Ok, let's make it a multi club run. Sounds fun.

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
I am going to be there. This will be my second trip with our 07-FJ. Just finished putting a ToyTec 3" lift, 33" MTZ's, Lucrum winch mount w/ Warn 9.5Ti. on it... looking forward to meeting more of the Rising Sun and other 4X4ers...

Last edited:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I am going to be there. This will be my second trip with our 07-FJ. Just finished putting a ToyTec 3" lift, 33" MTR's, Lucrum winch mount w/ Warn 9.5Ti. on it... looking forward to meeting more of the Rising Sun and other 4X4ers...

Excellent, all we have seen on OCG have been mostly stock Trail Team FJ's. Look forward to meeting you.

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
OCG run May 17th

Hi Scott,

How technical is OCG? If you guys don't mind I mght like to join in. I am in a stock FJC. What is the OCG like technically? I did Cliff Hanger, Poison Spider and Hells Revenge (and Hells Gate) in CM this year.

Have not got my lift kit and 33s yet but will soon.

Ran it last Saturday. No snow. TearemupTim and two of his Jeep buddys (they were at Metbery couple weeks ago with PfatTJ and I) were at OCG as well. Spotters really helped. Never did scrape the side of the sliders, even in the narrow spots but the spring hangers and shock mounts hit. Did the trail w/o the elocker working.

Barring bad weather Friday night plus getting the elocker to work, I'll be there at 9:00 5/17/08.

John
KD0DCU
97 tacoma stick reg cab v6. 33" cookie cutters, lifted, chev rear springs.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Chris,
Your FJ certainly has the technology to get you through. I would say you will be fine based on the experience you listed. It is a technical trail, but the easy lines don't come close to the Gate on Hells (way to go). Your skid plates and sliders will see some action for sure.

Just be careful not to backup while over rocks and positioning yourself in the FJ. Those stock skids are flimsy and will rip right off. I'll tell you how I know later.

John,

Glad you are going to try to make it. Good job on getting through without a locker and not touching your sliders. You obviously have skills. I've only made it through the squeeze few times without touching the bumpers or sliders. It's a personal challenge of mine now. FYI - I don't like to use spotters unless I get into trouble. It all about the driver challenge for me. That's why I like OCG so much. There are hardly any shelf roads and dangerous obstacles.

What HAM channel should we hook up on when driving up in the am?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Howzbout 146.460, the RS channel?
I'm really trying to get at least the rear rock glides in place to protect the Bushwackers for Saturday. Wish me luck.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'm really trying to get at least the rear rock glides in place to protect the Bushwackers for Saturday. Wish me luck.

Good luck - get er done!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

That would be 146.460 Simplex/ no code/low power....right Mr. Chili?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
73 and 88.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sorry I'm a newbie here. Can I assume if I'm in South Park, I would not be able to hear anyone on that freq. if they haven't come over Kenosha Pass or if they are in the Arkansas Valley? Wouldn't using a repeater on the state network (the one on the list with the asterisk) be preferred?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Sorry I'm a newbie here. Can I assume if I'm in South Park, I would not be able to hear anyone on that freq. if they haven't come over Kenosha Pass or if they are in the Arkansas Valley? Wouldn't using a repeater on the state network (the one on the list with the asterisk) be preferred?

Just tune your dual band/dual display radio to 146.460 simp on one band and the Colorado Connection on the other! You do have a dual bander ...don't you? :p: :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
uh oh - UB's turning into a Ham supremacist! :bolt:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You could use the repeater on the way down there, but it's not entirely necessary. Use simplex on the trail.