Old Chinamans Gulch Dec. 2023

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Dom (with Justin riding along) and my neighbor Nate joined me. Roads to and from were fine. We had say 2-4 inches of snow at the trailhead. There was a group of about 6 built Toyotas at the trailhead as well. We didn't know them. Instagram group Justin said. They went in front of us as we were waiting for Nate. When we caught up with them the two gals in the rear were having difficulty with the initial obstacle. Which indeed was more difficult - plus there was snow. I found it painful watching their driving skills. It was the normal newby things we have seen for years. Bumping and follow thru with throttle control was not in their skill set. It's ok that's how they learn. I kept my mouth shut. They will learn. They had to winch. But, the group was cool and let the 3 of us by after they saw us clear the obstacles on the first try. That took about an hour. Then we were off and made good time the rest of trail and never ran into anyone else again.

The trail certainly has some new obstacles . Several took some work to get through but usually didn't evolve getting out of the rig. I made it up the right line on whales tail with a little work and yes - Justin spotting me. It wasn't easy I tell ya.

Dom had some killer driving skills and was giving it his best without a front locker to assist. But, have to pull cable. Only one of the day. He manages to work his over everything else all day.

Nate's tires were a bit worn and weren't hooking up that well. But with his locker, lift and 37's was able to also work his way over everything.

I was able to take my diagonal line up the double slab. Although not on the first try. The last Shute obstacle took more work from all - but I took the s turn line through it which worked pretty well for me. The decent was tricky and I squeezed a fender flare off. Driver error. Did not swing way wide. Never had to before - dammit.

Great day for sure. It's such a fun driver trail. We will have to do it again when dry. Pics to come later.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Here are my pics

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 113

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome day on trail with tons of fun and challenge. Obstacles were snow covered and extremely slippery. Weather was very cold with slight snow flurries but scenery was fantastic. The Insta group we met at the trailhead were nice folks with some good looking trucks and let us pass in a timely manner. Huge thank you to @JadeRunner for setting this up and to @justin4045 for being my co pilot for the day. Both of our trucks left some green behind, had some minor body damage and I broke an exhaust mount bushing.

First obstacle Insta group
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

Whales tail was tough
DSC_0018.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Good job, man. Conditions look tricky and I’m glad you all made it through and had fun. You lead a good trail Scott. Happy to see that 285 presented no problems too. 👍👍

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Wish you could have made it Steve. Bart would have had a great time.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
We had a very good Greek meal with Natalie at Athena. We then went to an Eastern European market, Royal Gourmet, and bought desert which we had back at her place. Many toasts to Dean rounded out the afternoon and Suz and I made it back home safely, like you. Hope you enjoyed your day enough to want to go back and run the trail again in the spring.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Look like that was a lot of fun. Thanks for the report with the pictures! I wonder how the other groups day went

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Most everything that was planed today didn’t go according to plan. So in other words, I should have just gone wheeling today. 🤦‍♂️

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Most everything that was planed today didn’t go according to plan. So in other words, I should have just gone wheeling today. 🤦‍♂️
Ooft sorry to hear. My plans went great, we froze our feet off ice fishing and caught a few fish. I'm kind of glad I didn't go though as I could see me struggling with those conditions and driving a stick.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Wow sorry to hear about all that. We were wondering how you guys ended up in those conditions. Good job for getting out that and giving it your all. You had a great group with good attitudes.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for all pic's and comment's, i's a fun and an exiting trail, IMO.​

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Oh that's wild, I saw that yesterday... didn't realize it was on this run. here's the vid:

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0cC_8HAOjC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This same spot got both Scott and I. He lost a rear fender flare and I got some dimples on my rear quarter panel.

Most of their group posted pictures and video, although I don't think we made it in anything they posted other than you can see our tracks after we got ahead of them.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
The guy in the jade green 4runner in that Insta group is running our old outboard shock mounts and is an excellent driver. @cot4r3 on IG. Good dude too.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
The guy in the jade green 4runner in that Insta group is running our old outboard shock mounts and is an excellent driver. @cot4r3 on IG. Good dude too.
I made it a point to meet that guys and check out him Runner. Sweet rig.

Yea, that was the rock that got me.

I have some great video's. But they are large and will need to figure out how to post them. I can upload them to yodertech.com and post a link. Just need some more time for that.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I made it a point to meet that guys and check out him Runner. Sweet rig.

Yea, that was the rock that got me.

I have some great video's. But they are large and will need to figure out how to post them. I can upload them to yodertech.com and post a link. Just need some more time for that.
Please do post them somewhere, Scott. I want to see the rock that was grabbing people. Sounds like it was unavoidable and I'm glad Bart didn't meet up with it!