• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Old Chinaman Gulch Sat. May 1st, 2021

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Meet at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village around 930am. We will air down there since the trailhead is very close. We will rollout by 10am. CB Channel 4 - Ham - 146430

This trail will test your armor and flex. 35's, armor and lockers "recommended". I've torn off a few fender flares here over the years and the winch cable will probably come out at some point. I hear the trail is only gotten more difficult. Bring tools and have your rig prepared.

The club has had lots of exciting and eventful runs here over the years so it will be fun to get back. I will probably be camping in the area for the weekend.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Maybe at the moment.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I drove my 40 through a couple of years ago. I only have 33's and my tires were way undersized for the run. Went with a group of Land Rover club members...beat the crap out of my sliders, and just this weekend discovered I bent a rear spring shackle there as well.

They were all expecting to have to rescue my butt throughout the run, but my 40 worked through everything I threw at her, and drove home....more than two of the Rover members can claim....

The Rover guys mentioned how the trail had gotten significantly harder over the last time they rode it. Cant imagine it has self repaired any. :headbang:

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I did it with 35s, no armor, and was fine. I got a crunch on my exhaust. I did it a few weeks ago. 1990 81

Attachments

• 20210327_112233.jpg
    20210327_112233.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 161

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Are you the guy I chatted with last week in the Evergreen Safeway parking lot? James I think? I was in my 60.
Nope, I'm Angelo and I don't recall being in Evergreen Safeway last week. Maybe you saw Jason @LandBruiser

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Did it last year in the GX470 w/33's. Had to winch a couple spots and the wife was not pleased to be there. The gx is locked front and rear. I will not be taking it on Chinaman again as it has gotten much more difficult over the past couple years.
I may show up for this run however with my 40, it just laughs at this trail..

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good Brad.

Thanks for all the trail updates. Interesting to hear.

It's been a few years since I was there. For that run we all camped out at the trailhead. DouglasVB had his new to him pretty stock pickup with street tires. Good fun. And Travis and his First Responder friend did a EMT trail training course of sorts for us on the trail. That's when I learned if it's an extremity like a crushed arm or leg. Wrap it up, stop the bleeding and drive em out. If it's a chest, heart, breathing or head injury. Call 911 and look for a helicopter landing zone. I'm generalizing since all situations are different. But, you get the point.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Meet at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop in Johnson Village around 930am. We will air down there since the trailhead is very close. We will rollout by 10am. CB Channel 4 - Ham - 146430

This trail will test your armor and flex. 35's, armor and lockers "recommended". I've torn off a few fender flares here over the years and the winch cable will probably come out at some point. I hear the trail is only gotten more difficult. Bring tools and have your rig prepared.

The club has had lots of exciting and eventful runs here over the years so it will be fun to get back. I will probably be camping in the area for the weekend.

Brady and Yoder are confirmed, who else?

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Hmmmm, this should not interest me but it does....
It's a "drivers" trail that requires top notch driving skills. Your a top notch driver so your should drive it with us. Can't say I've ever seen you on this trail Daniel. It must be about the only one in the state you haven't run.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
It's a "drivers" trail that requires top notch driving skills. Your a top notch driver so your should drive it with us. Can't say I've ever seen you on this trail Daniel. It must be about the only one in the state you haven't run.

I’ve seen him on it and he will do just fine.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I may go. Not 100% sure at this time, but I would like to.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm not ready yet.