Oh what to wear, what to wear....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
How about a clothing thread (yes that was a pun). I am looking for a jacket I could wear to work- saw one today from leatherup that looked pretty good, had elbow pads, light shoulder pads, but didn't look look like a Michael Jackson groupie, or a "biker". Nntawwt... Just not me.

so what jacket do you have, that is good for around town riding, that you also think looks decent? Links and pictures encouraged. :beer:

Edit: I think it was this one http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...-Level-3-Armored-Motorcycle-Jacket/53292.html

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I've crashed and ridden in leather, various fabric purpose built jackets, and tee shirt and jeans all at more than posted speed limits and have to say leather works well, but if I had the cash I'd get aero-stitch.

check them out:

http://www.aerostich.com/darien-jacket.html

They will even rebuild them after you crash on them.

They are available used for much less if you look.

They work in the rain (not much of a concern here) and aren't heavy like good leather can get. the pads they have are comfy too. you'll own it for ever.

I use that old leather jacket you saw the other day and it has worked well. I have gone down a few times in it and it still doesn't look too bad. I like leather a lot also, but it gets soggy when it rains, and can be friggin hot in the summer. I could never afford or justify the nicer aero stitch stuff.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
This is a very personal choice. HOWEVER, the best shop in town for this, is performance cycle on broadway. Huge selection, and local family owned and worked. I can't say enough good things about them.

I have a fieldsheer ce rated waterproof textile suit (2piece), a firstgesh mesh for low speed stuff in the summer, a alpinestars moto gp leather track suit, and a corrazzo shop coat with ce armour.

Bill has a great over the but expedition/dual sport gear set that is very cool, but I don't have that need. I know he commutes in it, but I don't know how hot it gets. IF you are commuting, its sitting in the sun that kills you, as even non-perforated leather is ok if you are moving.

Fieldsheer and FirstGear make great quality, entry level and higher stuff. Jackets are one thing, unlike helmets, where money doesn't always equal quality. Whatever you do, thing about water. I know it doesn't rain much, but I can tell you, it sucks and blows to be stuck in a downpour from colorado springs to denver. You need all your focus when it's wet, and being dry really does help that.

j

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Tim, I have something similar to that. I wear it for some long distance, but don't care for it really. If it starts to rain it is really really cold. For trail riding I have a Shift plastic moto roost guard. I like the protection. The Jacket feels naked on the trail, like if I fell off I would break a rib. I would get a coat that is more substantial for commuting, and moto-gear for off-road.

Most importantly, buy good boots.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Here is what I like.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 225

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have gear for trail riding- roost guard, elbow pads, knee pads, boots, helmet, pants.. my thought now though is more for commuting, and that quick spin to the store or whatever- what can I toss on that'll be decent enough for what I see in the city.

Looking at this one:

56913_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...reathable-3-Way-Lining-with-Level-/56912.html added benefit appears to be I could ride to a paintball game and not even have to change.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
oh - like farnham said, get good boots. I am a fan of sidi and alpinestars, but for commuting, I don't use dedicated boots. I use a standard low heel full coverage boot for commuting. don't forget rubber soles if you go street wear. I like this, as if it's colder, or I am on the freeway, I can wear the full suit over my dress clothes.

Sidi makes some real nice tourning boots, but unless your willing to haul all your street gear separate boots can be a pain. If you buy separate touring/street boots, only get waterproof ones. ask me how I know.

Since we are close to the same size, you're more than welcome to borrow my textile suit to see how you like it. Aerostitch stuff is good for adv.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY OVER THE NET - this gear is heavy, binding and terribly uncomfortable if you guess wrong. try and buy local man..

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY OVER THE NET - this gear is heavy, binding and terribly uncomfortable if you guess wrong. try and buy local man..

have to agree here, I almost bought MX boots over the net until I went to try some on at a shop...holy cats it took me about 14 different pair before I found a pair that is actually comfortable! I buy jerseys, gloves and pants (for MX) over the net and thats it. The rest you have to try on first.

Performance on Broadway and Evans has a decent selection of stuff to try, at least get a feel for something.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I have the Olympia X Moto jacket/pants as well as the Revit Cayenne Pro Jacket/pants. I like the Revit set for short trips/commuting in cool/wet weather because it fits me better and is lighter/more comfortable. I like the X Moto set for long multi-day trips.

I have an Alpinestar jacket that is completely black/plain except for a small A-star on the left chest. It was very hard to get and all the sport bike dorks wonder what the hell I was thinking not getting something loud and obnoxious. I absolutely love all my Alpinestar gear. All my street gear is AS and my MX boots too.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Nak, think dualsport. That would mean textile not leather.

I absolutely LOVE FirstGear Kilimanjaro stuff. The overpants breathe well, and have a removable rain liner that WORKS. The jacket has a fleece liner that makes the unit good from 30* to 80+. For hot weather or off road, I have a GREAT MSR Gore-Tex enduro jacket that folds up and fits in my backpack. Been caught in the rain in the woods too many times to not ride with it handy - you can go from sweating and 85* to hypothermia in ten minutes. BTDT. No fun. The jacket makes the difference, and makes dirt riding in the rain a hoot.

For boots, the very best and most comfortable boot I own is a pair of Sidi Discovery boots. For one thing, few dirt boots are water resistant. Most let ALL the water in as if they were mesh or something. Never happened in the old days, go figger. They are my favorite boot - they are adapted from trials boots and don't *quite* offer the same protection as maybe Alpinestars top of the line MX boots (I have a pair of those too) but... all around, they rock for dualsport use. If I could only have one pair of boots, from dirt to street, these would be it.

For pure street a mesh jacket would make commutes good in summer and traffic jams. But the Kili has lots of venting and if I can keep moving JUST A LITTLE, it's good. Dang Buell puts out a lot of engine heat though... but the overpants actually help with that and also breathe well.

<edit> Oh, and for footwear, yeah, don't buy over the web unless you know the product. You need to walk around in it for a half hour in the shop. However, I have bought great stuff (including a pair of retro leather jackets from Scorpion) from NewEnough.com at some incredible prices. I would do it again. Just read the reviews and talk to the people about sizing.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
+1 on the cordura & FG/Sidi. The only thing I don't like about Sidi boots is the squeeking. I've been looking for a good deal on the new Adventure boots.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
If they could put the sole of the Discovery including the toe kick on the Adventure as well as the third cam buckle and get rid of that huge patch of velcro I think the Adventure would be just about perfect. I hate velcro. That's the one thing I don't like about the Cayenne. Too much velcro. My right sleeve is starting to wear from it. :mad:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
What's your deductible for emergency room visits? I bet it's more than those boots.