• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

official - fishing with the rising sun: Metberry Gulch Saturday July12/13th

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Ok,

here we go, the first official "fishing with rising sun" trip!

We are going to start off with an easy one. There are not many 4wd/fishing combos out there, so we are going to get in what we can this season. I would like to get in at least 1 per month.

This trip we will visit the South Platte, south of Deckers, and north of Eleven Mile Canyon in the Hayman Burn Area. Metberry Gulch.

Directions/reference material http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=209

We will be leaving EARLY Saturday morning, meeting to caravan from the outlet shops at castle rock. I would like to leave there NO LATER than 7:15, 7:00am would be preferred. Anyone not making the departure should plan to meet at the river. We will take up as much space to reserve for late comers.

Tentative schedule: arrive, fish, lunch, fish, dinner, fish sleep repeat. leave around 2pm Sunday for home.

The road dead-ends in a parking/camping area at the river. It does see a lot of traffic during the day, but we should be ok to sleep there, as this is not a popular night run. Optional, is we could backpack across the river, and camp on FS land.

The river is pasture style in this area, with some pooling. Terrestrials, caddis variants, and of course nymphs will be needed. Beginners are welcome, as I am sure that we will have enough vets to teach.

I practice catch and release, would encourage all to do so, with the exception of brook trout, which are like xj's and wranglers, there are so damn many of them, who will miss a few anyway...

Please respond with who's in and if you are camping or not

See ya out there!

j

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
John, what would it cost to get a decent set of gear? I'd like to learn.

Beater

Hard Core 4+

That is loaded question. There are rod reel combos to be had for 50.00. Line/backing is usually included in the starter kits. wallyworld, kmart and other places sell pre-packed deals like this. Flies and accessories will run you another 50.00

you don't need waders in the summer, if you don't mind getting the boys a little cold/wet once and a while.

You can also borrow, but the problem there is, if you break a pole, you are usually replacing a few hundred dollars. My cheap rod is around 150.00 fwiw.

Riverbum.com is the best source for western flies, at a very reasonable costing. I or others can provide you with a list of flies to get, in what sizes to start with. Most people spend too much time listening to "guides" and buy way too many flies. Walmart also carries jackson-cardnial flies, which are decent flies for factory tied ones.

You will need clippers for line(nail clippers will work), a few leaders/tippet (monofilament) and that's really it.

Best supply shop near you is "discount fishing tackle" on s santa fe, near belleview. I have a vest you (or someone else) can have for a six-pack.

j

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I've never been flyfishing, but would really like to learn. Would it be appropriate for me to come if I picked up some gear?

absolutely. I just don't have enough to loan out to everyone.

I can see if my best fishing buddy (former pro guide) can assist. my normal guide rate will apply. buy/cook me dinner or feed me beverages... his fee was 450/day back in the day

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to try to make it. Never caught anything yet on my fly rod, so I count myself a beginner...

Beater

Hard Core 4+
bumpity... come awn, wheeling, fishing, camping and beverages in camp... how can you NOT be into this?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

Matt, I just went through the whole deal of buying a beginner set up. I went to Sports mans warehouse and bought everything I needed and more for $270.

The rod combo was $69.99 good deal I compared them.
Fly box with different flies 24 of them $ 21.99 Also good most flies are .89 or so

Net can be had for $15-75 make sure you get a "catch and release net"

Small holder for your stuff, I spend $35 but the range is $15-200

You can get a vest, same deal about $30-200

You will need extra leaders $5-20 depending on what you get.

Then you have the little add ons, clips to hold your stuff so you don't loose it in the river if you drop it $4. Line straightener (can't remember the name) $5-20 Line clipper/eye opener for your flies and lines $4-10

There is a bunch more stuff you can buy if you want to but in all honesty you can buy the rod/reel combo pack, a combo fly pack and leaders and be on your way for under a $100.

My other advice is find somebody who actually fly fishes in the store. I went to other places and nobody really knew much more that I did. DO NOT GO TO A REAL fly fishinf store yet, they do not have the inexpensive stuff and some press you to get the things you don't really need. I went there to ask and learn, then I went to Sports mans and found my guy.

Give me a call if you want more info, my fingers are sore :blah::blah::blah::D

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
PS John I will try to be there, I want to learn so bad but need to see where I am with my back. It feels great but...............

Beater

Hard Core 4+
you can ride with me if that will lesson the stress. I will be camping though, and that may not be good on the back.

j

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, I can drive my GMC there and back with not to many problems. How much "wheeling" is there? I remember driving or 4wheeling around deckers in a stock 4runner. If my GMC can make it I should be good, if not well...........we'll see.

LMK what you think.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, I can drive my GMC there and back with not to many problems. How much "wheeling" is there? I remember driving or 4wheeling around deckers in a stock 4runner. If my GMC can make it I should be good, if not well...........we'll see.

LMK what you think.

the last bit is the only wheeling from what I understand. There are some REALLY good write ups on the trail on colorado4x4.org . the trail is a lot like slaughterhouse from what I know, only milder. There is a rock slab at the end, and you could always park and ride the last few hundred meters with someone else, or hitch with someone from the parking lot at castle rock.

PLEASE get a wading stick, or branch to have with you for stabilization for your back for the water.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to try to make it. Never caught anything yet on my fly rod, so I count myself a beginner...

I'm not going to end up making it, summer schedule is just too tight...:(

Beater

Hard Core 4+
bump for a head count please..

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I am still on the fence, wife does not think it is a good idea, a little to soon.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok - need confirmation of count by wednesday, as my son is leaving for a training camp on Sunday. We will make this a day trip if we don't get many more people. Seriously folks, you won't believe how beautiful the burn area has become...

j

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok - so official count is me and one other? ARE WE CALLING THIS OFF?