• Hey Guest, the Expo is TODAY!
    ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

obd questions

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I've searched mud and there is ok info on odb II for 80 series. Very little regarding uzj100. Thinking about buying this one www.myscantool.com universal w/usb $150. I'm having a difficult time understanding protocol? As I understand everything is ISO complient. But FSM says protocol is 9141-2 and DLC3 is SAEJ1962. I'm not seeing those numbers on any websites. Can someone please translate into something I might understand. Does anyone have any experiences that might be helpful. I'm throwing a code on cold mornings when below 1/4 tank. Starts, stalls, CE light comes on. Goes off later that day. I understand the computer saves the info and I could take it somewhere, but I'm 100 mi from denver and would rather own the tool.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Farham,

Not sure if this will answer your questions or not but I am also considering getting an OBDII scanner (not that I would know what to do with it :() and came across this thread in MUD:

MUD scanner thread

It talks about the protocol and what not for an 80 so maybe that won't offer any help for you...:dunno:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
First off, what do you want to do with the scanner

1) Read and Clear Codes
2) Reset Mil light
3) Monitor set of performance parameters real time
4) Long term storage of larger set of performance items

I first bought a reader that read the code and told me what it was and allowed me to clear it. After I bought it, I realized I wanted one that would allow me to monitor O2 sensor, Fuel trim, Coolent Temp, Intake temp and a few others.

So I bought a different scanner. You can set this one to read Toyota Monitors and it provides real time status while I am driving of 16 top data points along with the reader/clear capabilities. It allows me to take snapshots for storage and later retreival except this one is limited to 3 or 5 (can't remember). I am reall happy with it.

The next teir allows you to probe deeper into the data points and sensors that the computer can see doing long term storage with many points and providing plots. You can get even more features using a laptop or Pocket PC based setup.

So it depends on what you want to do.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Ken, you still have that 1st one you bought? What was it? what do you currently have? Have you tried it on a 100 series? I don't really think I need all the info that you are interested in but you know how it goes. I believe the one I'm looking at can give me all that anyway. Plugs into the laptop. I can totally geek out and get 1/4mi info and printout graphs of how bad my gas mileage is.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
100 series is no different than an 80 series relative to OBDII.

I have tried it on my two 80's and 99 4runner and 06 4runner.

Each truck will have unique sensor data, this just reads the Toyota Genric ones. I think it is upgradeable, but I don't recall.

My first OBDII went to wes.

OBDII's that can read the code tell you what the code is and clear them are anywhere from $49 to $200 depending on what kind of bells and whistles you want.

OBDII's that can do real time monitoring are from about (Guessing) $180 to $3000 depedning on what you want.

Programs the are used on Laptops and PDAs are about $230 (Guessing) on up depending on what capabilities you want.

Kevin and Christo can chime in and add more info or correct anything I may have misrepresented.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Check out the website. Seems to do a lot of stuff for $150. I'd like to know what the error codes are, reset them, and turn off CEL. The part that makes me nervous is I can't find a phone # or address anywhere on the site. Product is called Proscan and they offer "free" software upgrades. And thanks Ken, I'll bring my FSM and beverage of your choice.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Here is the one I have it seems to be around $220 doing a quick google search. The price on the below web site is real good. It also has the new protocol cars will be transitioning to after 2008? called CAN. This unit will work on any vehicle built after 1996.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/autoxray4000.html

The nice thing about this unit is each manufacturer has a different set of core sensors and this one can accomodate multiple manufacturers, including Toyota.

Here are some that run on PCs/PDAs:
http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Here is a write-up on using a different application:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/mult-OBDII/mult-ODBII.htm

For my needs the Autoxray 4000 was perfect. The autoexray 5000 and 6000 modles add OBD I which is for pre-96 vehicles.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I've got the AutoEnginuity software & hardware and am very happy with it. I bought the PC software and the Palm... I have only ever used it with my palm. I'll have it with me at the meeting tomorrow if you want to check it out.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
FWIW, I am not surprized you couldn't find much in the 100's section on mud:D

I have heard good things about autoenginuity as well. I would make sure whatever setup you get is portable enough you will have it with you when you are away from home and having troubles.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
FWIW, I am not surprized you couldn't find much in the 100's section on mud:D Mostly cup holders and tires and why 80's are better than 100s.

I have heard good things about autoenginuity as well. I would make sure whatever setup you get is portable enough you will have it with you when you are away from home and having troubles.
Didn't really think about the have it with me thing. I don't want to add laptop to the list of crap to always bring with. Just think CM2010 safety inspection, parking brake, fire extinguisher, CB, seatbelts, locker, OBD II,.....

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
My old one is PC based. It was nice for logging and big displays, but you had to lug the notebook all the time. I bought the Autoenginuity one for a Pocket PC and so far happy with it. Still not a Toyota Scan Tool, but works pretty good. Plus it is small to take on trips and quick to boot up and use.

wesintl

RS Moderator