Not bad, nice shout out Trey!

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I agree 80 is 4.10 and 62 is 4.11 and brought that up to @powderpig when he did the swap for me a decade ago using an 80 third member and he mentioned it would cause no issues and I noticed none afterwards. But yeah, on front and rear 4.10 at this point. I have no doubt I made plenty of errors during the talk.

Nice truck and good video and, yes, a solid shout out to Nakman. One thing, 62 gearing is 4.11 vs the 80’s 4.10 and not interchangeable.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Gearing was the only thing that grabbed my attention. If Robbie said it, it must be true! 😎 Hope to see your truck in action sometime.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
4.10 vs 4.11 is so small that you'll never notice.

I've known guys that run a 5.29 in a Toyota axle and 5.38 in a Dana 44 with no issues. So long as your with in a few percentage points you're good.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
4.10 vs 4.11 is so small that you'll never notice.

I've known guys that run a 5.29 in a Toyota axle and 5.38 in a Dana 44 with no issues. So long as your with in a few percentage points you're good.
Yeah, 1/411=0.24%, easily a smaller amount than the difference in tire diameters due to uneven wear.

Yeeep.

The .01 of a rotation difference = 3.6deg, while not OCD friendly it is definitely compatible.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My original comment about incompatibility was directed at the fact that the gear sets won’t interchange from a 60 series to an 80 housing and vice versa. At least I think that’s a fact.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I had the 80 series third member in my 62 housing prior to the axle swap. Not sure if it would have been an early 80 series or not.

Note from the receipt about the gearset per Robbie:

1714516860062.png

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yeeep.

The .01 of a rotation difference = 3.6deg, while not OCD friendly it is definitely compatible.
I'm not sure I understand your arithmetic: 0.24% of 360° is 0.88°.

Anyway, when I broke both the pinion on the rear and the carrier in the front of my HZJ75 at CM2002, I repaired with a reverse high pinion 8" 3rd out of an 80 4:10 in the front while I put an old standard 9.5" 4:11 out of a 40 in the rear, and it was impossible to tell any difference driving like that for years afterward.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My original comment about incompatibility was directed at the fact that the gear sets won’t interchange from a 60 series to an 80 housing and vice versa. At least I think that’s a fact.
Looks like I’m wrong on this so I will just shut up now.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I'm not sure I understand your arithmetic: 0.24% of 360° is 0.88°.

Anyway, when I broke both the pinion on the rear and the carrier in the front of my HZJ75 at CM2002, I repaired with a reverse high pinion 8" 3rd out of an 80 4:10 in the front while I put an old standard 9.5" 4:11 out of a 40 in the rear, and it was impossible to tell any difference driving like that for years afterward.

I know I play a machinist and all, but math really isn't my strong suit. I was just going off of the ratio 4.10 v 4.11 is a .01 per-rotation difference, or 3.6deg. Either way, it appears we were all talking about different things :ROFLMAO: I am low on brain CPU cycles, but .88deg is def a lot less and would be difficult for me to measure at the shop. 3.6deg on the other hand is measurable.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Looks like I’m wrong on this so I will just shut up now.
It’s OK Steve. I’m OCD enough about it that I have put a 4.11 gear set into an 80 series E-Locker because while it’s not MUCH difference, I can’t stand the idea of the small difference binding if I’m driving in 4WD at highway speeds.

I’ve also considered swapping it back to the 4.10, and putting another 4.10 in because I know the 10/41 gear set is stronger. 🤣🤣

Dan

Crash

Rising Sun Member
It’s OK Steve. I’m OCD enough about it that I have put a 4.11 gear set into an 80 series E-Locker because while it’s not MUCH difference, I can’t stand the idea of the small difference binding if I’m driving in 4WD at highway speeds.

I’ve also considered swapping it back to the 4.10, and putting another 4.10 in because I know the 10/41 gear set is stronger. 🤣🤣

Dan
Thanks, Dan. At the risk of making even more obvious my lack of technical knowledge I’ll throw this out there: with the 80 viscous coupling in the t-case I can see a little bit of numerical difference having no consequence on long term gear life. With the 60 t-case not having any viscous softening when operating the front axle a little bind seems inevitable when on hard surfaces. Whatever.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Still the same motor from the original swap? Thats neat. Fun to watch the interview :) nice work

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Yes, sir. Haven't done much with the setup since you helped me do it 15 years ago, as far as the driveline is concerned. They cut out a lot of stuff, probably because I ramble, but during that drive we crossed the 200k mark.

Still the same motor from the original swap? Thats neat. Fun to watch the interview :) nice work

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
great video, and thanks for the kind props!