North & South Supply Trails, Grand Lake CO

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
We couldn't find much in the way of 4-wheeling in the Grand Lake area when we were up there for the 4th of July. Really only had a 1/2 day for 4-wheeling anyway so we just hit the North & South Supply Trails mentioned in Well's guide. The trails are just North and West of Grand Lake. We were alone but the trails were pretty easy. Most of it was suitable for a stock rig, just the upper section of the North Supply Trail was slightly tougher with some bigger rocks...

Not many pics but if you're ever up that way they are fun little trails that you can easily do in a couple hours even with stops to check out the scenery and multiple photo op runs through the creek and to delight the kiddos :thumb:...

One of the first things we saw...Road work signs :confused: :lmao:
100_4666Medium.jpg

100_4618Medium.jpg

Trail signs...fairly well marked as there are a lot of "bail out" points on the North Supply Trail...obviously one sign is mis-marked as a Jeep trail vs a LX450 trail :cool:
100_4654Medium.jpg

100_4659Medium.jpg

Main road, FSR 120 - FSR 120 pretty much gently winds its way up to the trailhead while the North Supply Trail goes straight up
100_4658Medium.jpg

End of the line...North Supply Trailhead - hiking only above this point (behind the LX).
100_4633Medium.jpg

Niece with my youngest :Princess:
100_4623Medium.jpg

Little creek here with some mini waterfalls :)
100_4650Medium.jpg

Some action shots of crossing the creek on the South Supply Trail...Kids loved it - the water was only maybe 8" deep or so...
100_4663Medium.jpg

100_4665Medium.jpg

100_4664Medium.jpg

Beater

Hard Core 4+
one of the first places I ever camped and wheeled in colorado. It's a lot bigger water in spring, I have had it over the hood on 31's.. There's a great meadow to camp in up there, and it'a a lot better than paying 130.00 bucks for some 60 year old hotel room in grand lake...

j

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sweet, never really been to that area. It's now on the to-go list :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Nice pics Jeff, I think I will make that trail my maiden offroad voyage with my 80 in a couple of weeks.

Scott,

I think you'll enjoy it. Let me know if you want to borrow the guide book. It is not hard to find, but the guide book always helps makes things easier.

Once you get onto the trail itself, it goes pretty much straight up the mountain while FS120 winds its way up the mountain so the two intersect several times. If you start getting uncomfortable you can bail out at one of those intersections.

I wanted to drive back down the trail but the neice wasn't wanting to have anything to do with that :rolleyes:. You drive part way back down the trail (to like the 2nd or 3rd crossing of FS120) and hop off and onto FS120 and then down to the South Supply Trail for the water crossing :thumb:

Jeff,

We went on the trail this past Saturday. We started at the southern most point and went 3/4 of the way to the end of the North supply trail. I really enjoyed getting the LC offroad for the first time. The first little bit at the Stillwater section made a newbie like me almost think twice about going up it. It was raining pretty good and I thought...God forbid if I get my wife and kids stuck up here, but all worked out well.

Scott

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Glad you enjoyed it Scott :thumb:

Funny thing about that area, you feel like you are in the middle of no where...That is until your Niece's cell phone starts ringing while you are going through the South Supply Trails' creek crossing :hill: - her mom was calling to see where we were :)