• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Newbie with Restoration Questions

Hey all,

I wanted to introduce myself by asking a few questions about restoring a BJ44 that I imported from NZ.

I want to do a frame off restoration and build the truck for expedition. To begin with, where is the best place to drop off the body, frame and other parts to be stripped and painted. I talked to the guys at TLC in california and they wanted $20k to strip, PC and then paint the body. Insane!

My second question is what method of stripping is the best at removing all rust and contaminates before sealing? I want to make sure I do this only once and only have to touch up crunches along the trip (if need be).

Lastly, what great ideas do any of you have for building up a truck for long distance travel?

Thanks!

Kraig

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
A1 stripping in golden had been recommended here before.

You might check with Proffitts cruisers as well for resto builds

bskey

:photo: Can we see some pics of your rig? :thumb:

Pics of the BJ44

Here is one

Attachments

• Mine FrontSmall.jpg
    Mine FrontSmall.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Mine Rear.jpg
    Mine Rear.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 190

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wow - congrats! She's a beauty! What are the specs on that rig?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Rocky Mountain Cruisers in Englewood restores cruisers. Might give them a call.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Rocky Mountain Cruisers in Englewood restores cruisers. Might give them a call.

x2 for Ron at RMC...Great guy and does really nice work :thumb:

Another option, would be to consider Terry over at CIM Autobody...I plan to have him restore my FJ40 hardtop after seeing his work...Looky here:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4289

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=46016&postcount=171

Have to ask though...That rig looks to be in remarkably great shape. Any particular reason you want to a body off restoration over just driving it and enjoying it?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
x2 on that - you just got a beautiful truck, why dive right in to a restoration? You're going to drive it to the meeting next week before it goes under the knife right? :D

Answers...

A1: Specs-
1981 JDM BJ44 inported from NZ.
2B engine with stock H41 low geared transmission.
207kms (~120k mi)
7 inch longer wheel base and 14 inch longer bed than a 40.

A2:
I'm looking to resore bcause there is a bit of surface rust starting to come through. I want to nip it in the bud and rust proof the crap out of the thing.
My plan is to get the body and frame sealed, tubo the engine and then build it back up just enough to drive it. I will then slowly do the expedition build (adding an internal cage with hooks for hammocks, storage, heat exchanger, water tank, etc.) and then drive it to Argentina.

Also, I want to build custom storage in the wheel wells behind the rear wheels. I was thinking about getting steel from cool cruisers or heritage and welding it in during the restore. Thought it would be a great place to store valuables.

Thanks for the kind words on the truck. I'm not sure I can bring it down yet but will very soon!

Kraig

wesintl

RS Moderator
Sweet rig. I dunno why toyota put a 2b in there instead of the 3b

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
2b vs 3b.

Sweet rig. I dunno why toyota put a 2b in there instead of the 3b

They did a bunch of unique stuff on these rigs since they were designed for the JDM market. Actually, I really like the 2B because it has a higher compression and lower displacement than the 3B. The only drawback is the lack of the oil nipples that come in the 3b for cooling the underside of the pistons. Actually the HP and tourque ratings are the same for the 2B and the 3B-I (around 93 hp)

With a turbo I should be able to get some really nice mileage and power out of her.

Kraig