• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Newbie - A couple questions

Hey guys,
I just bought a 1990 4runner v6 5 speed and have big plans of SAS and 35's. I found a '85 front axle and I can get tires for pretty cheap as well.
I'm pretty good with a welder and a grinder ad have access to a plasma and a tubing bender
This is the list I have so far of what I'm going to need for the swap:
Axle
leaf springs (any reccomendations)
spring perches
front d-shaft (any reccomedations?)
shocks
shock mounts
brake lines
5.29 gears (is this too low for 35's?)
steering parts (need a little help here on the specifics)

What else am I going to need?
What are the big hangups on this type of build?
any other advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Welcome Joe! If you haven't already, I would suggest poking around Off Road Solution's web site.. I think they even have a solid axle swap kit they sell that breaks it all down, and they're clearly one of the most proficient Runner shops in the area, if not the best? hth.. again, welcome! :cheers:

Thanks
I already saw the same kit from Front Range 4x4 - and I think I could make the kit for less than $200 myself and have materials left over for upper shock mounts, etc.
I'm all for buying a good product but I want to try to save as much money as posssible. I don't mind spending an afternoon to make my own spring hangers.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Been there, done that (couple of times)

Axle- Get longfields for that 1985 axle you have. You might consider an FZJ80 high pinion diff with either an ARB or elocker, your choice. The axle housing will require fairly easy mods for the elocker, the ARB/hi pinion will slip right in. Figure $1300 for a geared/ARB diff. Stronger than the 4-cylinder, but if money is a concern lots of guys wheel the 4-cyl. with no issues other than maybe driveline vibes.

leaf springs (any reccomendations) All-pro are inexpensive but run higher lift than advertised and settle over time. You keeping the rear coil? If so, go with 3" front lift MAX. Minimum too, because of the limited uptravel of an IFS frame. If leafs all four corners, no holds barred. I used Alcan springs and VERY HIGHLY recommend them. Pricey though. Marlin springs are identical to All-Pro, same qualifications apply. I run stock length in the front and get GREAT droop, axle ~3" forward from stock with very good approach angle and firewall clearing. Rears, I run 9" longer than stock to get them to flex decently. I run 3" lift front (4" with the hanger), 6" rear and wish for 7" rear. I therefore reinstalled my 1" blocks. Ick. Oh well.

spring perches- I prefer (and Mike at ORS prefers) the Front Range Off Road Fab units. They provide the minimum of drop, allowing you to match the '85 factory geometry as close as possible. All-Pro hangers are good (though more drop, not so good) but require additional bracing, lest the frame crack in a year or two.

If you go with leafs in the rear, Jerry at Burt Parts knows which spring hangers to sell you. The right one goes left, the left one goes right. Nice units and not too expensive.

front d-shaft (any reccomedations?) Englewood Driveshaft. Better than the rest by far. Request (more like require) genuine Toyota U-joints however. Good shop.

shocks - personal preference. Avoid RS5000 series, harsh ride. RS99000 are good and 9-way adjustable, 99012s offer max travel.

shock mounts- $12 Ford towers are unbeatable. Don't spend $200 here or I will laugh at you.

brake lines- whatever, commodity item.

5.29 gears (is this too low for 35's?)- no, not with a 3.slow motor. Not by any means. Even with 33s, 3.slow and a 4Runner. I too had a 1990, I know of which I speak. I run a 3.4 in the '87, and it is a tad too low, but not bothersome by any means and it tows great.

steering parts (need a little help here on the specifics)- All-pro hi-steer, Marlin, whatever you can get a good deal on. Marlin and Allpro (IIRC) steering arms are now machined out of billet rather than cast, mo-betta.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks
I already saw the same kit from Front Range 4x4 - and I think I could make the kit for less than $200 myself and have materials left over for upper shock mounts, etc.
I'm all for buying a good product but I want to try to save as much money as posssible. I don't mind spending an afternoon to make my own spring hangers.

Buy the hangers without the cross bar from Brian at Front Range, $50. You can't make them for that. You need the shackle tubes too, though, don't forget. And the mongo washers to keep them from ripping out of the frame. DO NOT weld shackle hangers from beneath the frame, it does NOT work with steering geometry.

Hey guys - would a front axle from a FJ 40 work? - I found a dirt cheap deal on one

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Anything can be made to work... but this one, not so much.

You should be able to find a '79-'85 axle for around 200 bones these days. Hard to beat that. Or you could spend almost double that at Yota Yard. :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Buy Olegs 85 rolling chassis, use what you need sell the rest and break even!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Joe, now that you have an axle housing from Ben, you only need shafts and knucks, and spindles. Those can be had at Yota Yard or elsewhere if they will part out the axles. They may not...

Use your IFS hubs (and buy some '85 Aisin locking hubs), and Sky Mfg. wide axle kit, and FJ60 rotors, and your existing calipers. Better than spacers.

That Sky wide axle kit is pretty cool - any reccomendations for where to buy FJ60 rotors?
maybe I'll put up the money and get the birfield eliminater kit too. (since I have to buy shafts anyway)
There's a place in town that I can get the spindles and knuckles for a fair price
Thanks again for all the help - If i ever go on a trail run with you guys I'll bring everyone a beer!

isotel

Stay Away from the Birf Eliminator kit! Longfield's are the only way to go, may as well spend the extra $150 or so and get the best!

I would suggest buying a SAS Kit, Marlin/allpro/Trailgear all have them, They come with everything you need, NO way can you put together a kit (including your time sourcing/fabing everything) for the price of a complete kit..

id just use a Minitruck Axle, keep it simple, Aussie locker for a cheep one, ARB if you have the Coin!

Sounds like a great plan, Put up some photos when you start hacking off the IFS!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Stay Away from the Birf Eliminator kit! Longfield's are the only way to go, may as well spend the extra $150 or so and get the best!!
+1, maybe +10. The BE kits are, how do the French say? Junque.

I would suggest buying a SAS Kit, Marlin/allpro/Trailgear all have them, They come with everything you need, NO way can you put together a kit (including your time sourcing/fabing everything) for the price of a complete kit..
Au contraire. They come with things you really do not want, such as shock hoops and drop hangers with too much drop, etc. You are locked in to whatever is in the kit. You most definitely can put one together for cheaper, I did. Twice now.

id just use a Minitruck Axle, keep it simple, Aussie locker for a cheep one, ARB if you have the Coin!
I wouldn't use anything but a selectable locker in the front. You don't absolutely need a locker in the front right now. You'll hate a front autolocker in a mini.

Sounds like a great plan, Put up some photos when you start hacking off the IFS!
:thumb:

looks like I'm probably getting the front end (minus shafts, knuckles and spindles) from Ben this weekend. I'll be getting the Wide axle kit and 5.29 gears for sure - possibly a locker in back if I can find a good deal.
I'll definitely post some pics - I have to include the "pile-O-IFS $hit" pic!
it'll probably be a month or so before I do the swap.