New Project

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
What is your plan for the front brake lever? Something on the lines of this....

Attachments

• VO city levers.jpg
    VO city levers.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 203

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What is your plan for the front brake lever? Something on the lines of this....
Front brake? Well, be sure to paint those pink then. :)

Yes, I ran a front brake on the fixed gear so do as I say not as I do. But then again fixies are guaranteed widow makers and no level of coolness makes them worth it IMVHO.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The paint job turned out very nice.

I think the pedal threads are 1/2-20 rather than the ususal 9/16-20. They aren't easy to find. There def' are some cheap ones available locally for kids bikes. If you're itching to ride it, I'd throw some cheap ones on it while you search for the perfect pedals.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The paint job turned out very nice.

I think the pedal threads are 1/2-20 rather than the ususal 9/16-20. They aren't easy to find. There def' are some cheap ones available locally for kids bikes. If you're itching to ride it, I'd throw some cheap ones on it while you search for the perfect pedals.

YEP!!

I got some coming. more eeeebbbaaayyyy.

Attachments

• pedals.JPG
    pedals.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 203

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Not sure on the brake lever yet.. the magura motorcycle ones I guess they ran seem aweful huge. I was thinking of trying a brake lever I have already (avid cheapie for my mechanical disks) to see what kind of mechanical advantage I need to make it feel right.

I think the front brake was a necessary item... The front hubs the Schwinns had were pretty flimsey, hell I think the axle was 1/4 all thread. Anyways, I went looking for front hubs and saw that quite a few folks upgraded to the front drums so I researched that. The one that is on there was cheap, is supposed to work, and hasn't changed much since the 70's.. so it is kinda period correct.

I think I am gonna try to actually ride it on trails too.

We have a fixie that we use to go to and fro downtown mainly.. we ran that without a front brake for a grand total of 1/2 day before putting a front brake back on it. I like to at least kinda be able to stop and that thing was hard to ride just using the pedals to slow down. I know this thing has a coaster brake which is pretty different, but still I don't mind the extra braking power.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
here's what it looked like before.. kinda neat, I thought I'd lost these pictures

seat post was hammered down into the seat tub and stuck, Bottom Bracket was seized, head set was seized.

Getting the seat tube out was a pain. Also had to weld up some spots near the top of the seat tube where somebody had taken a hack saw to it.

Attachments

• frontright.JPG
    frontright.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 196
  • frotnleft.JPG
    frotnleft.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 206
  • back left.JPG
    back left.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 189
  • chainring.JPG
    chainring.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 204
  • rearwheel.JPG
    rearwheel.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 197

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I think it needs the chain guard.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
sweet!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think it needs the chain guard.
And the rack. He would be the hardest tourer of them all. I see your carbon 29'er and frame bags and raise you a one speed klunker and bungie'd on mil surplus canvas bags.

I am curious how it rides without the springer fork now. Did you reuse the original blades or is that a replacement fork?

wesintl

RS Moderator
nice...

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 193

rover67

Rising Sun Member
That's pretty funny Wes.. :)

I liked the rack honestly, it was pretty cool, but it was all bent up and pretty thin. I don't think it woulda lasted on there. I agree it'd be sweet to tour with it, but holy hell it has a big gear on it. We should get a group together and build a few more then attempt the colorado trail on them :lmao:

The front fork is the one that came on it. the chrome bits were just there for show, it wasn't a springer fork. I am sure it'll ride like a buck board...

I have to wait on pedals and a stem though.. I am not sure I have time to get to community cycles to dig through their boxes today, but maybe early next week or if they are open this weekend.