New old 9r

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
This isn't true, I like my 2012 Float 29 32mm a whole lot. I've liked all my Fox forks so far, which is why I keep buying them.

The way you described all that makes it clear to me that I have no idea what I'm doing. If the o-ring on the stantion is near the crown at the end of my ride I consider the day a success. Clueless.

Im just going off observations... I ride quite a bit and at the end of the day, Rock Shox forks are not the ones with complaints.... Now Reverbs on the other hand....

Im not trying to say Fox forks are the worst things ever made, but in the last two years, they seem to have gone downhill to what they were 3-5 years ago.

I raced two seasons of enduro on a new Pike, along with tons of big mountain riding, Keystone, Winter park, 35+ miles rides, Crested Butte, Durango, etc. and didn't need to touch the Pike out of the box other than air pressure. I just sold it feeling as good as it did out of the box.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Finally, might be able to make some progress but I'm still missing headset spacers
Almost moved my park Prs double stand into the office lol

You guys talked me into the pike...

d3d46895b34a5fad6af7118061f82533.jpg

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yeah... i have a feeling you're gonna love that thing....

I dig the color scheme

wesintl

RS Moderator
Feels good so far
7fee3075236a6043e009ae965cd2e066.jpg
b97567cdbea13d04e7e8e35c49e323ec.jpg

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Nice! Looks fun!

You probably got it in perfect timing....

True Temper (Usa made bicycle tubing) is closing their doors. No more bike specific tubing after Jan 1st. 2017. :(

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thats super cool, it looks great and probably rides great too! I like seeing it in front of the other bike..

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I like seeing it in front of the other bike..
That is super cool. Wes has the ultimate old/new! Anyone else upgrading their fleet?

The REEB displaced a bike in my quiver, the Rhygin will probably see permanent grocery-getter trailer duty now.

IMG_4207_mid.jpg

IMG_4205_mid.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm going tomorrow. First ride of the year for me. Rockin' my 16 year old bike.
The bikes back then were good, in some cases very good. The only real improvement in my mind is disc brakes. Everything else is either about the same or just marginal improvement, not the game changer that discs are. Drivetrains are different, in some ways better, some maybe not. Suspension is better but some people still run rigid forks and hard tails, so obviously that's not an absolute necessity.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The bikes back then were good, in some cases very good. The only real improvement in my mind is disc brakes. Everything else is either about the same or just marginal improvement, not the game changer that discs are.

I bet the frames are a lot lighter than mine. But maybe not, I don't pay that close attention. Mine's an aluminum frame, which Wes cannot stand :p:

If they aren't then that may just settle the case for me to upgrade my frame with disc brakes, new fork, new drivetrain, and be done with it. It's got a lot of friggin' chilis on this site:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-hardtail/gary-fisher/2000-kaitai/prd_353800_96crx.aspx

:thumb:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm no fan of aluminum frames, either. :) Full suspension is OK, almost mandatory, but aluminum hard tails, yuck.

As far as upgrading, well, I dunno. Can the frame even accept disc brakes? It would have tabs or maybe posts for them on the left side rear chain stay or seat stay. If not there's really no practical way to use them. It was hit-or-miss during the period from 1998 to about 2001. By about 2002 most bikes could accept them and certainly high end bikes would.

And, FWIW, if you're considering new forks you should be shopping ASAP. Anything decent is going fast in 26". You'll still be able to get them for a couple more years but they are disappearing fast in product lineups. OTOH it's not impossible to use a 27.5" fork and make a hybrid 650b/26.

But by the time you drop the kind of money you're considering you might as well put it towards a new bike. It's difficult to justify throwing money at it, even though things should be less throw away.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Dave, I'm guessing you never had any cracking issue with the ryhgin?

Matt, Where you riding? we can get together for some after work riding...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dave, I'm guessing you never had any cracking issue with the ryhgin?

Matt, Where you riding? we can get together for some after work riding...
Actually mine did crack. I was lucky that when it happened even though Rhygin had disappeared Columbus sent me a replacement top tube and James Bleakley from Black Sheep here in Ft Collins was also working with Metax at the time. So he repaired the frame for me.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Nice! Looks fun!

You probably got it in perfect timing....

True Temper (Usa made bicycle tubing) is closing their doors. No more bike specific tubing after Jan 1st. 2017. :(

Yeah, now i need a 27.5 although i'll probably opt for a gravel bike as it's on the list.

I know chris has used tange, columbus, reynolds, etc in the past. i'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Do you know what Standard is going to move to?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I know chris has used tange, columbus, reynolds, etc in the past. i'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Do you know what Standard is going to move to?
I asked Gunnar and they are working on it. They are already using 853 for some stuff. Also James Henry has said they are looking for someone else to keep making True Temper spec tubing, so it may not be the end of US-made bike tubes.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Now it's a signature model. I was also able to ride Terry's #6 salsa
c064592361d1f9461cb1b161ace9d3c3.jpg

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Rad, I wish I could have made it... Ive been to all of the other vintage mountain bike rides with Pro's.

Did you check out the museum at all?? I helped make the displays.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Museum rocks, displays are super nice and show off the bikes well. The breezer, potts, ritchey, Cunningham, etc. I'd date myself but I remeember putting together some of those bikes new they have around the shop :|
8003ee2b9743c04971606e0e1591b6f9.jpg

289dda904d98ded3426e67a317f13777.jpg

0c8a2f9d8ee0878c01e936053831934e.jpg

Last edited: