new 73 FJ40 owner

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally. :)

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3083

Went out to take a look at Oleg's 73 FJ40. If I can find a way to get it home, it is mine. :D Anyone with a trailer I can borrow??

Get ready for tons of 40 questions, as I am a complete newbie. My long-term goal for it would be an occasional driver around town, and mild off-roader. The 80 will be my DD and main offroad vehicle. I was hoping to throw a cheap engine in it quickly, but I guess now would be a good time to get to know the truck and fix/replace all the stuff that is hard to do with the engine in place. Maybe even start by taking it off the frame and try some POR? Let me know what you experts and not-so-experts think. Thanks!!!!!

Timm

:cheers:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Put an engine in it, take the top off, get the headlights working and wheel it. If you want to do a frame-off resto, do it later. Fall in love with it first. Make it drivable and then drive it.

You don't want to end up with a 10-year project that never gets finished. I have a friend who has a '64 Bug convertible that he's been restoring for almost a decade. He's never driven it, and now he just want it out of his garage.

My 2¢, for what it's worth. :)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I can deliver it to you. It won't be today though.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I can deliver it to you. It won't be today though.

very nice offer, thanks! no hurry at all....it is going to sit until I decide what to do, but I am sure Oleg needs it out of his hair...

T

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Second what Farr said...learn to love it before you tear into it...just getting it running will tell you a lot about the mechanicals of how these things operate and you'll gain a lot of knowledge that way so that if you DO do a resto/partial resto someday you'll be better prepared. Plus it sucks having a truck that doesn't run when all you want is for it to run. There's plenty of people around (myself included at this point) that are in that situation.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
after talking to a few more people last night, it sounds like we have a consensus. Luckily, I think I have found a 2F with 4 speed and split case. Of course I would need help putting all that in and figuring out how it works and what to do with the drive shaft. :) Beers and pizza anyone?

Thanks again for all the input.

T

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I will be interested to hear what you find out about your install. I have a 2F mated to the stock 3spd in my '73 FJ40 currently and I want to upgrade to the 4 spd and split transfer. I hope you start a thread for your build.

:thumb:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I'll start a thread and take pics when I get it tucked away at home.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I have a 2F mated to the stock 3spd in my '73 FJ40 currently and I want to upgrade to the 4 spd and split transfer.
I did the 4 speed conversion on my 71 this past summer and detailed the process on this board. I'm sure the thread is buried about 100 pages back, but I'll be putting it up on my web site soon. I kept the 3 speed t-case for the lower gears and the fact that I already had it, plus I got to keep the vacuum 4WD and dash mounted hi-lo actuation.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
might want to move this thread over to Tech...

OK, it is becoming more obvious that I am a complete newbie when it comes to 40's. My original idea to go with a 2F already mounted to a 4 speed and split case is seeming to get more complicated as I see threads talking about driveshafts, parking brakes, gears, and stuff that I plain don't understand yet. Seeing as how my truck had an F engine in it, and all the tranny and tcase and driveshafts etc come with the truck, would it be a better idea to find an F to drop in it now and while I am driving it I can figure out to get the 2F/4 speed in it? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and bug all of you guys to death with my constant questions......whadyathink?

T

wesintl

RS Moderator
moved.. ;)

Anyway. I would still put in a 2f with a 4 speed to split case. In reality this is still pretty much a bolt up application vs a 350 or other swap which is WAY more involved. It's much easier to find this application than some older F's that have miles and need work. These little things your asking about are easily overcome.

The 2f bolts right in. get a parking brake adaptor from man-a-fre or sor.. then get the stubs from the case end of the drive shaft and mate them to the existing end of the driveshaft if you have them of find some 40 shafts to mate. If you use the 60 shafts retube them and get new blank pinion flanges and drill them. This type of 2f upgrade is very easy and may be easier than trying to find your missing items and get it going. Do it the first time and be done.

If you want a 3 speed tranny you can still bolt up an 2f to it.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hi Tim,

You can mount up the original J30 3 speed tranny and 3 speed t-case direct behind either an F or a 2F, total bolt-up. The dimensions of an F block and 2F block are identical for all intents and purposes. The 4 speed conversion isn't hard, but it's not a bolt up, and as you ascertained, if you use the (superior) split case then you're having to deal with e-brake issues as well. Split case equipped cruisers have the e-brake at the rear drum brakes instead of the rear of the t-case. You can get non-USA parts to mount the original e-brake to the rear of the split case if you wish. Alternatively you can use later model rear axle/brakes or do a rear disk conversion with integral e-brake, all adding complexity and $ to the project. Everything has it's pros and cons.

I heartily 3rd Matt's suggestion to just get it running and fall in love with it before embarking on a massive build-up. Drive it as much as you can and modify it incrementally, as your time and budget allows.

Since it doesn't have any engine at all, I'd go with a 2F given the choice, simply because it has a better internal oiling system.

I didn't see in Oleg's post whether there was any exhaust system whatsoever. There is a significant difference between the downpipe mounting flange between F and 2F exhaust manifold applications. The F is a smaller diameter and uses 2 bolts, the 2F is larger diameter and uses a 3 bolt mounting. Also, the 2F downpipe is double walled, the F is single walled. Both are discontinued. Behind the downpipe, the midpipe (2F), mufflers and tailpipes, as well as all mounting hardware are still available from the dealer, at about the same price as having it done custom at a muffler shop. Note that the OEM components will only bolt up in their original mounting locations if you go with the F, due to different routing for the F versus 2F applications.

Any questions about what else is different between F and 2F (including clutch and bellhousing), or 4 speed tranny into a 3 speed cruiser, just ask. Mixing and matching cruiser parts isn't 5 banana, but there are definitely issues to consider and decide on.