Need some info on CM inspection

Ok. so Ive read over the TLCA requirements for participating in a TLCA sanctioned event...but I need some clarification on some items..

First off- they mention testing brakes procedure with a manual tranny...how do they test the brakes on an auto tranny?

Next... they say you have to have an aired up spare tire...My rig doesnt have a tire carrier yet...if I dont get one built in time, can I secure it in the back of my rig or will that be "unsafe" If so.. will I not be able to participate if I cant bring a spare?

Says you need a roll bar for an open vehicle- does the stock one count as a "roll bar"?

Also how do the evaluated items work?

Leaks?

etc

THanks

Eli

(MOUNTAINCRUISER on mud)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
As I worked tech last year, I will try on some of these, and let the important people handle the others:

ebrake must hold in drive

leaks - touchy area.. if it's hitting the gound, that is a problem, as we are on permits in an environmently fragile area. don't forget coolant recovery. valve cover seepage is one thing. dropping 90 weight breadcrumbs wont fly

Factory bar counts

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
ebrake hold in drive at 1200 rpm

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
they say you have to have an aired up spare tire...My rig doesnt have a tire carrier yet...if I dont get one built in time, can I secure it in the back of my rig or will that be "unsafe" If so.. will I not be able to participate if I cant bring a spare?

My advice: bring an aired-up, trail-ready spare tire to Moab. If you choose to leave it in camp, that's your own business.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I don't know the official position, but it is controversial. In the past, no. The thinking is, if you cut a brake line on a rock, you lost your ebrake too. Single point failure.

I have a driveshaft ebrake. Vulnerable to breaking an axle (unlikely), but in 4WD the other axle stops the truck too. Not a single point failure.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
how tough are the inspections? I've got a hi-lift, spare, fire extinguisher, but mines kinda buggied, no e-brake the last three years, its never been an issue(use double low and it doesn't move), also I suppose I need to hook up some type of brake lights, what about turn signals in the rear? Its a trailer only, looking at some of the requirements would be great on street driven vehicles, but mine isn't...

Exactly how strict are we? I'm running out of time to do stuff in the meantime :)

You know, another question and this might not be the right place, but how does it work if I can't show until Thursday afternoon?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Pretty strict. Must be street legal, most of the runs involve some street. Turn signals aren't required though. You need brakelights and an ebrake, or you can't run. BTW there are motorcycle hydraulic switches, or mechanical switches, that should make brakelights easy.

Thursday is no biggie. Be sure to leave enough time for tech inspections, if you get in a bind I should be able to do it for ya.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Ok, wiring harness is still intact for turn signals and stuff, and I have lights(haven't put them on yet) so I'll mount and wire. I will put a line lock in as soon as I figure out which one to get :) I'm planning on leaving Thursday around noon, so without traffic I should be there by 5 on Thursday :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Again, not sure of the official position on line locks. Matt? Anyone else from the CM committee?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I believe the official position is line locks are allowed, but with a back up wheel chock.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Okey doke, so us tech inspectors will look for wheel chocks on board if line locks are in use.
:thumb:

Perchance, does the club have a couple wheel chocks to loan out in the likely event a last minute linelock user shows up without them?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
I have a crack through my windshield in the lower quarter of my driver's side (all I see is hood when looking through the crack anyway) and it goes up to just below halfway on the passenger side. Need opinions. It's not spider cracked all throughout my windshield and has never been a visiblility issue for the past two years of driving.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I have a crack through my windshield in the lower quarter of my driver's side (all I see is hood when looking through the crack anyway) and it goes up to just below halfway on the passenger side. Need opinions. It's not spider cracked all throughout my windshield and has never been a visiblility issue for the past two years of driving.

Justin, The requirement for tech inspection is the truck has to be street legal. You should be fine. Now, if your muffler bearings haven't been replaced in a while, you might be in trouble. ;) :p:

I noticed on that list it said no open exhaust, does that mean that a muffler is required? Mine fell off last weekend, so I just have a pipe coming straight out of my cat right now. It is not excessively loud and it does not smoke.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I noticed on that list it said no open exhaust, does that mean that a muffler is required?
If you look at the requirements above, it says the exhaust must be intact, so yes. That shouldn't be too hard to have fixed before you go?

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Justin, The requirement for tech inspection is the truck has to be street legal. You should be fine. Now, if your muffler bearings haven't been replaced in a while, you might be in trouble. ;) :p:

Cool, Thanks a ton. :D RedChili (my papa) is of the opinion that even he wouldn't pass me in Tech Inspec. If for any reason he is right I don't want to chance it, but that seemed a little far fetched.