• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Need picture or 1988-1989 V6 Radiator help

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I swapped out my dead original radiator a year a go for the WRONG radiator.
I beat the crap out of it with a hammer to get it to fit and it leaks a little.

The main problem is that the cap was on the driver's side and not the middle. Not a problem for the newer body style truck.
I also had to cut the top hose to get it to fit my truck which seems wrong too.

Anyone have a picture of a STOCK 1988 or 1989 4runner V6 radiator?
How about running out and checking something for me? Does the top tube come straight out? Or does it angle to the passenger side?

Anyone have a part number that will fit RIGHT?

I'm liking the look of the turbo truck, 3 core Performance radiator #2320. I think I have the extra 1/4 inch for that 3rd row. It also seems to LOOK more like I remember the original looking like.

Anyone swap a turbo truck's radiator on their early v6 truck?

TIA -Spanky

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've got an extra radiator for my truck, you are welcome to see if it would work. It's identical to my stock Toyota radiator, center filler neck, passenger side top outlet, driver's side bottom outlet, both straight out and maybe about 6" long. It's a Performance, but I have no idea what the part number is at the moment. It's like the stock one in the picture, but it has fittings for an A/T.

Last edited:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Saw a picture on scalded dog's web site. The fan install. I see his top radiator tube sticks straight out too. No bends.

I might go for the 3 core unit. gotta measure what I have in there first.

bskey

I had heard on YotaTech that the 3 core is a direct swap... and a good time to do the electric fan.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Rudeboy, when I did my swap, I simply called Radiator.com and asked for a 1990-1995 V6 radiator. Worked like a champ. Three row. Ask for their 'better' price.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Thanks guys. I ran over to Performance Radiator for lunch and brought home the "1988 4cyl Turbo" radiator. 3 row. It has tranny cooler lines that I won't need, and a bung on the head tank for a sensor that I don't need, but it is a 3 row, with straight pipes, nice looking unit. I bet it fits perfectly in my truck. Plus the guy said it would cool my 454 Big block just fine.

Good shop. Attention to detail was good. Their inventory was correct. Everyone was helpful in making sure I got what I wanted and not what the computer says I want.

I installed the radiator on Friday night. It is an exact fit in my truck with 2 exceptions:
1: Tranny cooler lines for an auto tranny that I don't have.
2: I had to plug the extra hole in the top tank. I think it is a heater core return port on some trucks.

This unit fit my Lincoln Mark VIII fan better and had the little hooks to support the radiator in the body while you put the bolts in.

Last edited: