• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Need new rotors

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
REALLY wishing now I had gotten in of the deal Marlin had on rotors...

Took the Cruiser to Brakes Plus this am to have the rotors turned. I noticed the "tech" buckling up and I asked the guy behind the counter "He isn't planning to take the Cruiser for a test drive is he?"..."Yep" the guy says :eek: - If you've seen the pics you know why this would NOT have been a good idea. Anyway, they checked the rotors and they cannot be turned. Basically they are already at min spec (had a feeling as my ruler check measured they out at 30mm) but I was hoping they could at least turn the bad one but no dice.

So the 80 is parked in the garage again until I can get new front rotors.

Now for the tech part:

Is it better to order these from CDan and pay to have them shipped or go to say Burt and buy them locally? What else do I need to pick up to complete the job, keeping in mind that just 4-5 months ago the front axle was rebuilt...Hoping to pick up what I need so I can get this done this weekend along with bleeding the brakes.

TIA

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think you can get them for the same price at Stevenson west. Burt always seems to be higher to me. I always call Burt and Stevenson when I am getting stuff local to see who has the best RS price. On small stuff, I just go to GO Toyota.

Dan charges extra on shipping these due to the weight.

Were you buy them is a personal decision based on who you want to give back to. Stevenson gives us a lot and I try and spilt between Dan and them. Dan does a lot for the 80's section on Mud.

There are a few gaskets and seals and you should do the 100 series pads switch over at that time as the 80 and 100 series pads wear differently.

Don't forget to "break in" your brakes. You can do a google search or look at the link in the FAQ.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ken,

GREAT point re: Stevenson. Why that didn't even dawn on me is my bad. If the 100 series pads aren't too expensive then I'll probably go the whole nine yards then...Just hate to have spent $$ on brand new 80 series pads and see that go to waste :(

Thanks for the reminder on the 80 series FAQ :) - No matter how many times I refer other people to it I always seem to forget to go their first myself :hill:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Jerry and Joe at Burt. With the RS discount It should be the same as Stevinson or C-dan.

They both know cruisers pretty well.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Jerry and Joe at Burt. With the RS discount It should be the same as Stevinson or C-dan.

They both know cruisers pretty well.

Hmm, everytime I call and ask for the RS discount. Stevenson is always cheaper. I think it was $8 a rotor compared to Burt. Maybe they give you a better deal because your a frequent customer.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
If you call Stevenson they can leave the parts at the receptionist so you can pick them up wednesday at the meeting.

If you switch to 100 series pads, you need to do it with a new Rotor. They will last longer and you could always sell your 80 pads.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hmm, everytime I call and ask for the RS discount. Stevenson is always cheaper. I think it was $8 a rotor compared to Burt. Maybe they give you a better deal because your a frequent customer.

The two times I've asked for the RS discount at Burt I got asked to provide a membership card...Last I checked my name still isn't on the roster and I haven't tried since (haven't tried name dropping yet though).

I think I'll give Stevenson a shot - great to know about having the items left with the receptionist for pickup :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Don't forget aftermarket.. I think Christo sells the DBA rotors, slotted & not drilled. Not that I want to introduce another can of worms to this thing, but those will probably be my next rotors, FWIW. Prices may actually be comparable too.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Good point Tim...If this were the LX I wouldn't be near as "on the fence" about slotted rotors, 100 series pads, etc. But, being that it is the 80 and who knows when the wife will get a wild hair to sell it/trade it in, I'm thinking it is better to keep it as close to stock and not have to explain to the new owner all the changes I've made that they need to keep in mind. I'm probably overthinking this as usual :)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Went with OEM Toyota rotors (along with various other necessities for the job) from Stevenson...will pick them up Wednesday night at the meeting (thanks to Ken for the suggestion)

I'm not of their roster but Maurice was nice enough to still extend the RS discount to me anyway :thumb: