Need help adjusting TPS/timing 22RE

I'm not able to set my timing properly and I'm pretty sure it's due to misadjusted TPS because when I jumper the connections, I have no change in timing or idle.

I've read the write ups and watched some videos but still can't figure it out. I can't really even determine where the fealer gauges go. I figure this should be a relatively easy adjustment if you know what you're doing. Can anyone help me out? I can drive to you with maybe a 12 pack in hand. The closer to Golden the better. I have a timing gun.

Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd love to help you but I'm not close enough (Ft. Collins). Maybe we can work through it on the forum.

The TPS (throttle position sensor) location doesn't move the ignition timing in diagnostic. You set that and the timing at different steps.

When you jumper the diagnostic plug between E1 and TE1 the timing goes to the base. It should be steady and put the dot on the crank pulley at the 5 degrees BTDC on the oil pump tab. If it's doing that you know the ECU is being put in the right mode and the distributor is inserted right. Once the distributor is set you're set.

The timings marked are 12, 8, 5 and zero. After you tighten the distributor hold down you rev the engine and you should see the dot float towards 12 degrees BTDC and if it does that then you know the ignition is advancing.

To set the TPS position you disconnect the plug from the front and use the feeler gauges on the set screw on the side of it. That's done with a mulitmeter on the terminal pins after removing the connector from it.

There are two screw that hold it on the throttle body and those are in slots. When you put it on you turn it based on a gap and tighten it.

Thanks for the assistance, DaveInDenver. Those were the articles I read before posing and I'm still confused. I need "Adjusting TPS for Dummies" with a bunch of pictures and diagrams or someone to point at my engine bay and say "feeler gauge goes there...tighten that screw...yada yada.."

If no one local is available I'll give it another go otherwise I'm going to have to take it to a shop.

Made some progress over the weekend. Removed the old TPS and half way installed the new.

Pulled radiator hose..

6bfb889c8b7eb6d9c4e15b92915b45dc.jpg

Then removed the temp sensor/thermostat housing to get to the bottom screw on the TPS..

fd64b9f2df09e760679566d664f73c72.jpg

5b683f55ee00a9201be45f10c71582df.jpg

b7dda7fbeaadd4852c10ef773fdf5b49.jpg

Got some Allen head replacements..

3c7e6213fffe3d048ec6868a18a6fe71.jpg

And used this to get to the bottom screw..

2ea3db545781786f2a176def570d8a19.jpg

Gotcha!!

cc583b39414fdeee655e42a0c86d96f9.jpg

https://vimeo.com/197905452

New TPS..

8dacfb7b61e7d71450a0f0b0293a11fd.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to adjust it. Going to pick up some alligator clips after work to connect to TPS from DMM.

I was wondering if you figured out your tps adjustment?

If not send me a PM and I can help you.

Thank you! I actually got it all dialed in yesterday.

I couldn't get the right readings with the DMM on the TPS so I just did it by ear. I got the engine up to normal operating temp then set the idle to ~ 750 RPMs. I jumpered the connections with the engine running, turned the TPS counter clockwise until the idle bumped up then backed it off a hair until the idle dropped. Tightened the TPS screws then set the timing. Checked it again today and it appears to be dead on. I've got my horsepower back. Can't wait to see what my mpgs are now. Hopefully 20+ like I used to get.

Thanks again for the offer though. Glad to get this off my plate and learn a thing or two.