Need an E-Locker GURU please

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
OK, bought the truck and new the lockers were not working. Now I need to get them to work. I called Inchworm and got some real good info from them, check the motor and the wiring. Pretty basic but here is one of the problems. He suggested that I check the wiring by connecting a knwn good motor to the wiring harness. Well as I do not have one that works I can not do that.

Does anybody know of or have a working motor I could use to test my wiring? I can pick it up and bring it back or whatever makes it easier for the person.

If somebody knows these things inside and out I would be more than willing to work ut a deal or something. I need HELP, I want to go on the snow run but would really like for my lockers to be working.

Call me at any of these numbers 303-829-0703 720-981-0306 or during work 303-971-1145

Thanks in advance for any help.:eek:

Ric

what locker are you talking about, is it a toyota e-locker ? if so, i have an Actuator sitting in the garage, you could use it to test and see if its the actuator or not.
Ric

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
I'm in IA this weekend, family emergency. My notes are at haome, but if you can wait till Mon or Tues I can show you how to trouble shoot the wireing/ECU with a multimeter.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Ric said:
what locker are you talking about, is it a toyota e-locker ? if so, i have an Actuator sitting in the garage, you could use it to test and see if its the actuator or not.
Ric

Yes, it is the Toyota one. It is one that came from a 2001 4Runner. If I could borrow that I could check my system. That would be great. I am going to the party today, I will be there around noon or so, not sure if we can meet up or maybe do it later.

Call me when you can 303-829-0703 or 720-981-0306

Thanks

Bighead

Trail Ready
RockRunner said:
Yes, it is the Toyota one. It is one that came from a 2001 4Runner.
The E-locker was not a factory option for 2001 4Runner's. Typo?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Not sure on the 01 part, going of the info on the work order. Either way it is the same as a 00 tacoma one.

Here is an update, I pulled the whole thing apart, it wasn't working anyway. Cleaned up the motor and the surrounding area and go tit to spin up. Now the motor would work but only if the gears were removed. In the bottom of the gear housing are three contacts, one was way corroded, mounted on a small circuit type board. After looking it over I decided to take it out and found a loose wire, suprise suprise. I fabricated another contact to fit on the board and connected the wire. All works now, the accuater that is, put it back in the truck and nothing.

Now the PO had it installed by Off Road Solutions' who wired the whole thing very nicely, very tight, but very nicely. They used Hella relays instead of the ECU and now the fun starts................tracking down electrical problems. First I am going to get some relays to see if they are bad, was told by the PO that they thought they were, who knows. If they indeed are that witl be an easy fix but if not I am in for a pain.

I am still trying to get this all fixed before the snow run but we will see how things go as I have to go out of town for a week. I also still need to remove the front accuater of the FJ 80 high pinion locker, any experts on this one??? LMK I can use all the help I can get.

After wiring my front and rear elockers with the inchworm kit I discovered the resistors were getting way to hot from the motors being slightly too weak to actuate fully. The combination of cold weather and old motors led me to ditch the relays and resistors in favor of a couple of three position momentary switches. I got the swithches at Radio Shack for about $4 apeice if I remember correctly. Been running this way for about 3 years with no problems. Nice thing with the e-lockers is in a pinch you can crawl underneath and operate them manualy by removing the motor.

So what did you need to know about the front locker?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
oddcarma said:
After wiring my front and rear elockers with the inchworm kit I discovered the resistors were getting way to hot from the motors being slightly too weak to actuate fully. The combination of cold weather and old motors led me to ditch the relays and resistors in favor of a couple of three position momentary switches. I got the swithches at Radio Shack for about $4 apeice if I remember correctly. Been running this way for about 3 years with no problems. Nice thing with the e-lockers is in a pinch you can crawl underneath and operate them manualy by removing the motor.

So what did you need to know about the front locker?

I am blowing fuses left and right. I want to ditch the whole electrical part of it and start new. I do not know what Off Road Solutions did and where they got stuff from so...............

I would rather do what you did, I was trying to figure out how to do it but am not 100% sure. As I said, electrical is not my forte

Could you call me if you get this tonight? 720-981-0309 or maybe tomorrow, I am working on it now, at work 303-971-1145.

Thanks Tom.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
That will work fine, I appreciate any time and help you can give me.

Thanks Tom.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Locker update They're FIXED!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help. I spend all of last night and tonight redoing most of the wiring that was done before. Not only the wiring but also rebuilding the motors. Seems each motor had lost the outer contact and there for would pop the fuse. I can now firmly say that I know these lockers intemately. The rear is still being a little touchy bit it is coming around, I think lack of use but will soon change:D

Now if I can get a lift and some tires by Jan 7 I'll be all good:)

Thanks again for the help, I'll but the beer next time :cheers:

Bighead

Trail Ready
RockRunner said:
I can now firmly say that I know these lockers intemately.
I guess that's one good thing that came out of your ordeal. Glad to hear you got them fixed. :cheers:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, got them working just in time.