Naughty or nice?!

Overlander

Trail Ready
What is the displacement on this one? It doesn't say. This one seems perfect for me...

Overlander

Trail Ready
It seems CRF 250... nice bike. Guy is in WY and he's got other buyers already lined up... pity - real nice.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
250 4 stroke will be underpowered IMHO

Overlander

Trail Ready
"250 4 stroke will be underpowered IMHO"

Maybe by the end of summer, but not at first... :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I mean if you plan to go anywhere above say 9k feet it's gonna feel slow.. and up near 11-12k feet it'll feel real slow. ridable sure, but it'll just be way less forgiving when yo ustart to get in trouble and need some more go.

BUT if you are just gonna putt around the front range with yer jeans on, sure its probably fine. that being said I've ridden my wifes CRF230f all over and above 11k it's doable but you gotta be on your game if it's techy at all otherwise you just spin the tire in the churny bits and loose forward momentum. One a fire road anything is fine but get into the tech and a real bike will be nice.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My first dirt bike was a KTM 250, same 4 stroke Subzali has. super light and fun on easy stuff, but when things got hard I was bad at it- my RPM's were either too low and I'd stall, or too high and I'd flip over backwards, almost impossible to start again on a steep climb. Once I rode Marco's 525 for a day, I sold the 250 and bought one a 525. It's so much easier to be able to get lazy on gears, lower RPM's, the fact that I almost can't stall even when it's all loose and full of roots and what not. The extra 30-40 pounds to me totally worth it... I feel much safer on the bigger bike and can do way more on it. but I also think the CRF's are a little more tolerant of doing low end grunts than KTM's, as the CRF 230's I've ridden (Barry's, Al's) didn't seem to have as much of the same vulnerability as the KTM did.

Last edited:

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I prefer riding without a rekluse. Once you really start to figure out clutch modulation, it really is much easier to control than a rekluse. Plus you loose a lot of braking ability for downhill.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
My first dirt bike was a KTM 250, same 4 stroke Subzali has...

ahem...*had*

:bawl:

Still haven't replaced it yet :bawl:

Was a great bike for learning on, but yeah especially at high elevations got tired of the lack of power.

Overlander

Trail Ready
What about 2010 Husaberg FE390 - EF injected. Nice bike, in my budget and very close to me. From what I've read a boutique bike company started by Swedish employees after their factory moved to Italy. I believe KTM owns them.

Seems like it would be good for mild trails and fire roads that I want to ride on.

Wonder about reliability and parts availability. Anybody know anything about these?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I don't know much about the four stroke 'Bergs but my buddy has a 2012 Husaberg TE300 (two-stroke). Its basically a KTM 300 XC-W. That said, I would not hesitate to own a blue KTM, be it Husaberg or Husqvarna. I dont know who made the 390 engine, but if its a KTM I think it could be a good one.
As far as parts go, I would buy as new as you can afford. Reason being is that many of the chassis and suspension parts will most likely have a KTM part number equivalent, the engine may not.

Overlander

Trail Ready
After months of looking I finally bought a 2013 KTM 500XC-W - a really well maintained bike from an advrider.com forum member in Scottsdale, AZ and had it shipped here. I love it already. Still completing my gear - the weather sucks now, so I just get to ride it around my back yard for few rounds here and there. Going to register with DMV - the bike has no blinkers or mirrors... wonder if they'll fail me for that?

Overlander

Trail Ready
Here is the bike in my garage....

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_193440105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210407_193440105_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 167

rover67

Rising Sun Member
if you have a street title you'll just walk in and get a plate. if not you'll have to get the sheriff to look at it and certify it for street. not hard but you'll need a mirror and probably a horn and tires depending on whether or not yours are DOT legal

in Colorado you need a horn, DOT tires, Headlight, Brake and Tail light, and a rear reflector. no requirement for blinkers.

I did my TE 300 a few months ago and it was simple.

Overlander

Trail Ready
>>>if you have a street title you'll just walk in and get a plate.<<<
I have an out of state Title... AZ - so I'm guessing they will make me go through the Sheriff certification. Last time I had to do that with a snow mobile I had to go to Golden to get through that process there.... hope not, it kills half a day.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Oh yes, you may be right on that one. Forgot you got it out of state....

Anyhow, if its a street title you may be able to do a VIN verification at the DMV. The one in Lafayette does VIN verifications.

also FYI you can make reservations at the DMV that's the way to go.

Overlander

Trail Ready
>>>... if its a street title you may be able to do a VIN verification at the DMV. The one in Lafayette does VIN verifications.<<<
Yes, my DMV office also does VIN verifications, unless it's rainy or even heavy overcast .... and then there is no talking them into it, no matter how close you park - I know, I've experience that frustration first hand. Hope I can get it done in one trip.