My 80 Failed emissions this week

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
While that’s sage advice, it doesn’t find root cause. A good function/running 1fz should be around half of those limits. The above was not adequate to get me to pass.

After properly diagnosing my erg valve, glitchy tps, and weak cats, I fast passed at 485k miles. 😉

Oh and putting some 265 highway tires on at 50psi.
I’m convinced that last part is a key contributor to passing. It makes perfect sense as the less load on the system, the less compensation the ECU is going to trigger, the better exhaust numbers you’re going to have.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
WHoo hoo - new gas cap, tires at 35psi, clean air filter and two cans of HEET (red) in Decono - and I passed. THx all. 'till next time... ;)

Well done. I am vindicated! :)

For anyone asking, "Why Dacono?" it is because you have 25 minutes at highway speed to get there, its just off the exit, and usually short lines, so the cats stay hot. Plus you can oogle Earthromers.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm shocked the CO dropped that much and the CO2 is unchanged. Strange stuff this emissions testing.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm shocked the CO dropped that much and the CO2 is unchanged. Strange stuff this emissions testing.

Plugged up air filter causing a rich condition would definitely be a contributor.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Drive it like you stole it and pull in on a non-busy day....that is KEY!!!

Glad you got a two year extension! Now, go fix it right :)