• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Moving back to Denver

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
After a 4yr detour in Portland, I will be relocating back to Denver for work in the next few months. I am so stoked to get back to Colorado, get plugged back into Rising Sun, and get my Land Cruiser back on some proper trails!

A lot can change in 4yrs and I was hoping to take advantage of the club's collective knowledge to help me figure out where we should look to buy a house. We used to live on the Northside (Lafayette) and loved it, but at the time my job was in Lousiville. Now my office is Downtown, and most of our clients are either downtown or in the tech center. I'm assuming at some point in the future I will be going into the office or a clients' office 1-3 days a week, so I need to be mindful about my future commute. We have kids in elementary and middle school and want more space than we can afford close to downtown so it feels like we will end up in the burbs on the northside or southside.

Would I be crazy moving back to the Northside and dealing with a semi-regular commute downtown or to the tech center? I never spent any time on the southside when we last lived in CO, any recommendations on areas we should look at? Are there areas in rapid decline we should know about and avoid? Over by Evergreen is also on our radar and I would love to get some first-hand knowledge with living out that direction.

One last question, we need an awesome realtor & broker to help us on our journey back to Colorado, so if you have someone you would recommend, I would love to get their details. Thanks!

Obligatory Cruiser pic...

74A0E606-153E-4C00-84CB-D87C453226E4_1_105_c
by Matt Ewalt, on Flickr

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Knowing how jammed up things feeding into the DTC from up north, I'd highly recommend looking at Parker. 5-10 minutes on surface streets gives you a straight shot into the DTC or downtown. The demand for housing after more businesses going remote on the coasts has put a massive pressure on the housing market here and sky rocketed what seemed like already insatiable demand.

Not sure what your timeline looks like, but especially if you haven't been out to visit in a few years I'd plan on spending a week or two just driving around and checking stuff out. Had a buddy swing up this way after 6 years out of state. He said until he pulled onto the street of his childhood home he was struggling to find anything that felt truly familiar.

I'd throw Parker on the list because of great schools, an established community, proximity to where you need to be, pretty solid open space access, bike paths/parks for the kids, and the new construction going in seems well laid out. Because they have a variety of builders in the area, it may make it easier for you guys to get your foot in the door on a home you really want vs something that needs a lot of work.

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
Knowing how jammed up things feeding into the DTC from up north, I'd highly recommend looking at Parker. 5-10 minutes on surface streets gives you a straight shot into the DTC or downtown. The demand for housing after more businesses going remote on the coasts has put a massive pressure on the housing market here and sky rocketed what seemed like already insatiable demand.

Not sure what your timeline looks like, but especially if you haven't been out to visit in a few years I'd plan on spending a week or two just driving around and checking stuff out. Had a buddy swing up this way after 6 years out of state. He said until he pulled onto the street of his childhood home he was struggling to find anything that felt truly familiar.

I'd throw Parker on the list because of great schools, an established community, proximity to where you need to be, pretty solid open space access, bike paths/parks for the kids, and the new construction going in seems well laid out. Because they have a variety of builders in the area, it may make it easier for you guys to get your foot in the door on a home you really want vs something that needs a lot of work.
In the before times, I made it out to Denver fairly regularly for work, the burbs, not so much, so we are planning on spending at least a week on our house hunting adventure. Part of the reason why we are looking to move sooner than later is that the housing demand in Portland is the highest it has ever been, so we want to sell soon, then fight for the right place in CO. Thankfully housing in Denver is noticeably cheaper than in Portland, sorry in advance for driving up housing prices in Denver. We have had a couple of friends recommend Parker, and it's insane how many homes are being built down there. I would love to live as close to the front range as possible, that view is one of the things I have missed most.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
In the before times, I made it out to Denver fairly regularly for work, the burbs, not so much, so we are planning on spending at least a week on our house hunting adventure. Part of the reason why we are looking to move sooner than later is that the housing demand in Portland is the highest it has ever been, so we want to sell soon, then fight for the right place in CO. Thankfully housing in Denver is noticeably cheaper than in Portland, sorry in advance for driving up housing prices in Denver. We have had a couple of friends recommend Parker, and it's insane how many homes are being built down there. I would love to live as close to the front range as possible, that view is one of the things I have missed most.

Definitely. Arguably, Parker has one of the best views of the mountains. It has enough stand off to actually get the views and also depending on your vantage point gets Pikes Peak in the shot. One additional thing about the area is being able to hook 470 and get around much of the traffic while getting to 70, or hop on 285 without fighting your way across town. Depending on time and day.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So being a 5th generation Native who has always lived on the south side I would ask what you are looking for? Best schools are Cherry Creek Followed by Douglas on the south side

Prices are less east of Cherry Creek Res.

I live 1 mile south of Cherry Creek res and walk on days off to there and the best Dog park in the state. Great bike riding and walking area if that is something that interests you. If it does, then around the Resv is a great place, east west or south

The area between Peoria and I-25 and Arapahoe and Belleview is a bit more expensive, but great schools and neighborhoods. I lived there for 10 years and was happy. Found my house on an Acre with a 4 car garage is why I moved. That location is also close to I-25, I-225 and 470 so lots of highway options in bad traffic. Its 10 mi9les south of downtown

A little area called fox field on SE corner of Arapahoe and Parker rd has large lots on rolling hills

My daughter loves Highlands Ranch on the south part of the metro area

Let me know if you have questions

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Highlands Ranch still seems like a good place to be for families. Drive can suck but probably no worse than driving from up north.

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
@Romer - Thanks Ken, the Cherry Creek area wasn't even on my radar.

My preference would be for a small town, with great schools, big yards, big garages, and lots of access to trails for the kids to explore. I'm made a similar choice when we moved to portland, by buying in Camas, WA which is roughly 20miles outside of downtown PDX. My commute was often 45-90min long to get home, but in the end, it was worth it for the quality of life for the family.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
you may look around Elizabeth, Franktown or even Kiowa then which is rural

Outskirts of Parker can also feel small town and is more city like

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
You're moving back to a dramatically different market than the one you left. The flight from Denver, and from elsewhere, has chewed up the available inventory in the suburbs and beyond, so be prepared to be both patient, and to move quickly when something good comes up.

We are south side folks, having lived in Littleton for almost 30 years, and now Sedalia. I much prefer it to the north side, and like being as far west as I can get, but that's just a personal preference.

If you are looking for a Realtor, I suggest you call Scott Matthias (https://www.remax.com/real-estate-agents/scott-matthias-highlands-ranch-co/100044594). He's done 5 transactions for us over the last 17 years, and is as good a professional, in any field, as I've ever worked with.

Mark

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I live in Superior and have been driving to a job site in Centennial (south of the tech center). It is a 40 min to 1.5 hr commute depending on traffic and time of day. I like this area and we are starting to look around Lafayette and Erie to buy. The only issue I have with the drive down south in the am and back north in the pm is the sun is constantly on you. Could be fixed with some tint but... company truck. On the north side of Denver, prices west of 25 are substantially higher than east of 25.

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
We loved Perry Park. True rural feel within 20 minutes of Castle Rock, plus Douglas County schools.

However, as I like being around people less and less with age, we love the mountains even more. In Divide now and it’s fantastic, but probably too far to commute to DTC.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey Matt, good to hear that you are moving back man! We live in Evergreen (south end closer to Aspen Park than downtown Evergreen). I commute to Capitol Hill one day a week. If I leave the house by 6 and leave downtown by 3:30 pm it is only a 35 minute commute. If you have to drive in rush hour you can double that. The schools are good and there are plenty of trails up here. Housing isn't cheap though, but I guess that is relative. I will say that it has gotten pretty crazy since you left. We love living in the mountains and access to west side shopping and what not is pretty easy.

Let us know when you come house hunting and you can check out the hood up here. We could even put you up for a night if you don't mind energetic dogs. :)

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
Thanks everyone for this great feedback! @MountainGoat & @cbmontgo the mountains are definitely calling us. @ScaldedDog how did you like Littleton? Seems like Littleton is actively sprawling to the south of 470. @On the RX, I loved having "downtown" Louisville and Lafayette within walking and biking distance, and if we can find another home in that area it will be really hard for me to turn it down.

Anyone on the northside use a motorcycle or carpool to take advantage of the free hot lanes or whatever the HOV lanes are called in and out of downtown? In general, does the traffic keep flowing during rush hour in the HOV lanes?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Wahoo! Happy trails.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Anyone on the northside use a motorcycle or carpool to take advantage of the free hot lanes or whatever the HOV lanes are called in and out of downtown? In general, does the traffic keep flowing during rush hour in the HOV lanes?
If I didn't have to have a truck for work I would ride a motorcycle to use the toll roads for free. They can get pricey (from my perspective) if you don't have the EZ pass and even with the pass it rarely seems worth it. Traffic flows on the toll lanes pretty well until it ends. The left two lanes get pretty stuffed up where the toll merges with 25 when heading south. Going north, its pretty seamless getting on 36 heading back into Boulder County and it runs almost the entire way into Boulder. Traffic is usually slow around the 25 & 70 interchange as well as aroimd the Broncos stadium in the am and from Alameda to the aquarium in the pm. I take side streets from my office (Alameda) and jump on 25 at spear in the pm and it gets me past the major conjestion.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I live in Littleton near SW plaza and with two little kids 8 and 4 Highlands Ranch and Parker are very appealing from a families and activities standpoint. I just struggle with a big house and no backyard. I just want a little more backyard. A friend just moved to castle pines with two small kids and is super happy, more house for your money there.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Thanks everyone for this great feedback! @MountainGoat & @cbmontgo the mountains are definitely calling us. @ScaldedDog how did you like Littleton? Seems like Littleton is actively sprawling to the south of 470. @On the RX, I loved having "downtown" Louisville and Lafayette within walking and biking distance, and if we can find another home in that area it will be really hard for me to turn it down.

I liked Littleton, though I was always, and deliberately, outside the city limits. I was around the intersection of Bowles and Simms for 16 years, and it was nice, and I really liked being off Platte Canyon Road for a dozen years. It was a great neighborhood if you like older homes with no real restrictions on what sort of garage you could build.

You my want to take my neighborhood views with a grain of salt, though, as I never wanted to be within walking distance of anything resembling a town, and none of the places I lived were.

Mark

Firetacoma

I live just east of Boulder in the county and worked in downtown Denver for 10 years before I got a new job. I took the bus from Louisville direct to Union Station. If public transportation is at all an option I highly recommend it, no matter where you end up!