Moto ride, Saturday May 26

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Who can get out this Saturday? Here's my plan for 4-5 hours of riding fun...

meet in Idaho Springs at 10:00, big parking lot behind Beau Joe's, Tommyknocker's, etc. Then saddle up for 2 miles of I-70, up Fall River Road, then Yankee Hill. Cut over to the Apex/Mammoth side, then head back over Kingston Peak, back down Fall River to York Gulch, up York to OMG road, then back down to town. Hoping to be able to do all of that on one tank of gas, but can always bail on York if someone's on fumes or if time gets tight. And of course, it could be snowy up there too which means we find something else to play on.

All makes/models/displacements/abilities welcome, but you gotta be street legal.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like fun but I can't make it :(
From the chat a the BRD meeting, I don't think Kingston Peak road is clear of snow yet. You might have to have an alt plan for snow drifts.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool, thanks Bruce. Yankee is SW facing so should be clear, and once up there it's all a big network so I'm sure we'll find something to do even if we get turned around on Kingston. Half the fun is exploring though and finding out!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't look good at the moment - Becky already has a ride for herself on the calendar for Saturday morning, which means I'm on kid duty...

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I should be a go for riding tomorrow. :) Finalizing some logistics....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool guys- Matt did you get a receiver carrier? I may have just loaned my trailer to Dave thinking you weren't able to do this, but I'm not sure his plan at this point. I'm guessing we could most likely use it if needed.. I'll be at the Big Choice again tonight if we need further strategizing. :drink:

edit: Dave doesn't need my trailer until midweek, so it's available if anyone wants to carpool... come to my place in the morning?

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have to bring the kids with me in the morning and drive them to my sister's house in Golden, so I don't think we'll do the trailer/carpool thing this round - too many logistics for me to manage. I happen to know another guy with a hauler that can loan it to me for tomorrow.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I'm in, will be driving in from breck on the 460.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that was awesome, thanks guys for coming out.

trip report: we made it up yankee, successfully connected to Mammoth, but Kingston still a no go, there is a big drift right at timberline. was amazing how quickly you can rock through those trails- idaho springs to the big puddle on Kingston in under an hour, even with stops and a few spur explorations.

did you guys run Barbour?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Barbour was closed (gate). We ran Spring Creek instead. :eek:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
First half of the day. Bottom is I70 @ Fall River Road, and the top is the Kingston Peak parts. Left is where we we found the snow, and right was where we went back toward Mammoth Gulch but stopped and turned around.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 May. 26 21.11.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 May. 26 21.11.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 215

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Barbour was closed. Elk calving??? Gate locked at the parking lot to motor vehicles. So, we decided to do Spring Creek to 721 to Idaho Springs. Lets just say Matt rode like a champion and popped that bikes cherry. No damage to bodies or bikes. However, difficult you think it is in a truck, it is much harder on a bike. Think, rolling baby heads and wheel sized boulders. I dismounted a few times more than Marco. 70 miles in total.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Second half of the day. Failed attempt at Barbour on the far right. Spring Creek loop on the left.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 May. 26 21.15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 May. 26 21.15.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 217

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Barbour was closed. Elk calving??? Gate locked at the parking lot to motor vehicles. So, we decided to do Spring Creek to 721 to Idaho Springs. Lets just say Matt rode like a champion and popped that bikes cherry. No damage to bodies or bikes. However, difficult you think it is in a truck, it is much harder on a bike. Think, rolling baby heads and wheel sized boulders. I dismounted a few times more than Marco. 70 miles in total.

funny I was just wondering how that would be on the bike...its been a few years since I've been up there so I couldn't remember. I'm ready for some singletrack :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
SUPER FUN BOYS!!!

I had a blast!! Spring Creek was challenging but super fun!

:D

Here are some pictures.

1. heading up to where the snow started on Kingston Peak. Didn't get a shot of where we turned around.. it was busy with lots-a broncos getting turned around. we didn't spend much time there..

2. Taking a break after running around a bit on the mammoth gulch side.

3. Twinkies.

4. Matt on his new Bike.

5. Top of Spring Creek. We were busy on the way up so no pics.

6. Farnham at the top of Spring Creek

Attachments

• IMG_0604 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0604 (Medium).jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0606 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0606 (Medium).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0607 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0607 (Medium).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0610 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0610 (Medium).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0614 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0614 (Medium).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 200

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sorry I missed it. My weekend has been consumed by the Collegiate Ultimate tournament here in Boulder. A good friend of my is in town to support his daughter who plays for the University of Washington. They won their semifinal game yesteday to advance to the finals today.