Moto Gear advice needed

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
So I bought a TAME dual sport a week ago or so, but I have zero safety gear for it. Even though it's rated for street, I won't be doing that much, and never hwy work. It's also not a full bore desert blaster, and even if it was, I'm too chicken to do that.

Question is, what type of safety gear should I have for casual trail exploration?

Saw this helmet off the ADV forum that looks decent for my uses. https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Solid-Adventure-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B00T57JYGU

I think my ancient helmet was an Arai, but nothing close to what they charge for those things now. Other than meeting the crash ratings, what makes a good helmet?

Is there any point in dedicated moto boots, or would lace up leather boots suffice for me just fine?

Any reason for body armor stuff? I just don't see me going that fast, but maybe dumb not to use that stuff....we just never did as kids, but we didn't wear bike helmets back then either. ;)

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't ride lots but hope to pic up a similar (but dangerously faster) DS bike before too long.

My 2c:

Make sure the helmet is comfortable, washable, and light weight.

Boots for sure, those foot pegs, rocks, logs, chain, frame, roost, and everything else you'll encounter on a bike wants to tear your shins open and break yer ankles.

I'd go for knee and elbow guards on trials, probably forgo the chest protector but wear a good textile type jacket to minimize puncture type wounds, getting whacked with small tree junk, etc. Similar guide lines for gloves.

As you know many more here have great input that is sure to come your way..

Have a blast!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Helmet *has* to be comfortable. I bought a Shoei Hornet because it was the only dual sport that fit and wasn't going to be torture after a couple of hours. Wear it as long as you can in the shop because 30 seconds just isn't enough to really figure out pressure points. It has to be snug to work, so don't be shy about twisting it and feeling your cheeks, crown of your head and stuff moving around. If the helmet shifts around that's probably too loose. So since it has to be tight comfort is going to be the key.

To my dismay the one that I got wasn't the cheapest option, but then again you only get one brain so $200 or $400 is kind of, well, a no-brainer. I used the same logic when buying a welding helmet, I'll forget the difference in price if I get cataracts from the $100 one. Any helmet you buy will (or should) have DOT and Snell ratings, so they should all protect in theory. So don't necessarily be afraid of a low cost one if it fits well and has features you like. I almost always buy Bell bicycle helmets because they fit my melon but the Bell motorcycle helmets feel like my head is in a vise.

One thing that is really nice on a helmet is having a stop on the shield that positively holds it with just a small gap. The vents are never enough to really keep it cool or fog-free. I find that on cold mornings having the face shield cracked a little above the chin guard works like the defroster on your dashboard. I actually prefer for dual sport if you're only doing small lengths of pavement and not a lot of highway to run a dirt bike helmet and goggles instead. I don't really like having the face shield down and I don't trust sunglasses on the highway, so the clear shield is useful for that.

I never bought real moto boots and just wore my steel toe Redwings. Having shin protection would be nice on trails and having skid plates would be good for pavement if you dump it and providing additional lower leg support. Getting your leg under the bike is a real problem and work boots don't help with that. Is this critical? Yes and no. My decision was to spend more on the helmet and fill in jacket, pants and boots until I could afford them. If I dump it on pavement the boots being leather above the ankle will a little help and my pants come down over. But real MX boots would be better since your ankles are nowhere near strong enough to hold up a big dual sport, although they are less comfortable on pavement. There's really no one perfect setup, you figure out what works for you.

I ended up with an Alpinestars jacket and Klim pants. I put all the armor in both, hard plates where they were available. I figure the critical ones are the back, followed by elbow and hip. The back plate is to keep your from bending backwards and breaking your spine and of course impact protection. The hip and elbow are for sliding on pavement. I have shin and chest armor, too. The reason for the chest plates is to prevent a handlebar or tree branch from spearing you. I went with the shin because I haven't got high boots. A flak jacket under a riding jacket is another way to go.

Don't forget about gloves, too.

You can see what this stuff looks like here (I happen to be selling my bike and gear FWIW):

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=25300

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I have a KTM 450-XCW and a BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Don't skimp on the safety gear. People often think that trail riding or single track is much less prone to accidents than the street or highway. Both have different risks and both are risky. On the Enduro I wear an Arai helmet, goggles, armor, Klim pants, knee braces and Sidi moto boots. I also have a neck brace and as Dave mentioned good gloves.

I also have good safety gear for the Adventure bike. Don't skimp on your safety equipment. :cheers:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Honestly it doesn't matter how fast, how slow, how careful, how experienced, etc. etc. people are, you always need to be prepared to crash. Always. I have never crashed on the street (yet...fingers crossed), but I'm always in full gear head to toe every ride. I have crashed quite a bit off road, and I'll tell you nearly every time I would have had major lower leg injuries without proper off road boots.

One guy I bought a dirt bike from was selling it because he was on a weekend riding trip and had been wearing full gear for the day's ride, but decided to just wear hiking boots around camp and to run a quick errand. He dropped the bike going less than 5mph, and 2 years and 3 surgeries later he was walking with a limp and a cane and was selling all of his motorcycles. Real boots would have meant his buddies laughing at him and helping him pick up the bike instead of a life altering incident that took away a lot of mobility. So yes there is definitely a point in moto specific boots, and I'd argue if you don't go all out you may as well wear tennis shoes or flip flops.

For a protective decent jacket/protector, I'd suggest the Fox Titan: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket. It's comfy and protects your spine, chest, shoulders, elbows and forearms, and you can wear it on top of a light shirt when it's warm or under a jacket when it's cold. I also have one of these for the street under a riding suit, but it would work well off road too for max mobility while still protecting the spine and heart: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-pro-vest-x-v. Ultimately it's up to you what level you want to protect your body, but at a minimum I'd suggest a good helmet/goggles, spine protector, gloves and boots. I personally like to add on the chest/arm guards plus boxers with armor over the tail bone and hips and knee guards, but when fully padded up you do lose a little bit of mobility. I crashed once on a boulder field where the rocks under the bike shifted out from under me, and I fell, the bike fell on me, and I was lying on a bunch of large sharp rocks/boulders. I wasn't injured and merely had a couple bruises from the weight, so I'll take a little less mobility for that kind of protection...and I'll stay away from boulder fields too :)

wesintl

RS Moderator
pair of converse high tops, yellow oakley thermonuclear protection t shirt, and a bike helmet if you feel like you need lid protection. kids these days...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Real boots are mandatory. there are better ones, but I have good luck with the Comp5's and they are relatively cheap. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1546/56798/Fox-Racing-Comp-5-Boots?c=13

I like the "batman jackets" over separate elbow and chest protectors. this may be the same one Matt posted: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/2322/25776/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Jacket-Body-Armor?c=13

And then knee pads under your pants. I am a fan of the "over the boot" style https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1720/56594/Moose-Racing-Qualifier-OTB-Pants-2016?c=329 that way you can forget to put on the knee pads before the pants, and then still put them on without having to take your boots off again. AMHIK...

Then get a cheap ugly jersey on closeout. Wear a thin shirt first, like running or workout shirt, then the batman jacket, then a jersey. If it's cold out, a big sweatshirt over the whole mess...

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Helmet needs to fit and be comfortable
Great deals can be found with Troy Lee Designs as they are to the same standards as Arai and Shoei and fit thin heads like Shoei
My favorite is Arioh but they are pricey and light
Many injuries are whip lash related so the more weight you have tumbling around before you hit the worse the injury
Don't skimp on helmets
Moto cross boots are a must have all the time as Tim and others suggested Alpenstar Tech 5 or better
I have had about 10 enduro jackets over the years and the best would be the old MSR full gore tex if you can find one used
Novak makes the best gloves period
I could blow through one pair of Thor,moose,klim,fox in about three rides or one enduro
Novak last at least a season
Bottom line get as much protective gear as possible
Knee pads for sure with shin pads
In the boot pants as over the boot gets caught on the kick starter often and your down
Elbow pads
Neck brace
Hip pads or shorts with built in hip protection
I ride with some of the fastest and best enduro racers in the state (ISDE team USA, 2014 Baja 1000 3rd place winners , ) (not me)
They are all sponsored and they won't ride without every little piece of gear possible and they ride almost daily if that means anything

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Found myself waiting out traffic today, so went to G force in boulder. That chest/vest thingy seems pretty high up in front. Aren't these supposed to protect my beer gut some too? ;)
Boot wise, those fox 5 boots seem more flexy than the ones with inner ankle brace, but the guy said both were dirt style. For no jumping, the flexy kind is ok?
Helmet- sadly for me, the Shoei hornet seems to work best. Spendy but it can double for driving events too, so nice to be a multi function gear.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I like my Shoei dirtbike helmet. I have the more dirtbikey one. Not all car type sanctioning bodies allow moto helmets, they want to see a Snell rating. Moto helmets don't always have that. If it says Snell whatever (current) you're good to go.

I like nice stiff boots and in particular my alpinestars. If I were to do it again though I'd spring for a model up that has easier to use buckles. Maybe they're better now on the Tech 5's I dunno. Try them and see. Mine are a pain, I think I have the tech 5's. Also, buckle them properly. I used to wear my boots too loose until I hit a rock and kicked the front of my boot breaking something like 9 bones in it.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
That's right, many helmets did not have the snell and dot rating. The Arai and Shoei do, but fox does not. I think the fly helmets did, but they didn't fit very well.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
OK sweet, nice you researched that.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
OK sweet, nice you researched that.

I actually didn't, but you just confirmed my very foggy memory of it being an issue the last time my Dad tried to use our bike helmet for an autocross. :beer:
I was going to look that up before I throw down the cash for one, but was planning on hitting another bike shop in a lower tax area than Boulder first!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a moto but shopped helmets recently for BMX racing. Most race in moto helmets. I ended up with a Leatt. They make a bike specific helmet but other than venting it's the same as the moto. In order to pass the spike test of the DOT cert the moto's vents are different.

Anyway the Leatt was one of the lightest and smallest I could find. A big plus for Bridger at 7 years old. Their theory is that the smaller and lighter the helmet the less leverage it has to add to the forces during a crash. They have the dual density foam and these little disc things inside. Can't remember there tradmark name. But it fits me well and I'm really happy with it.

The other helmet I was looking at was the 6D. But those are in the $750 range. The Leatt MSRP $400. Close outs on last year's models are out here for around $250. (Bicycle pricing, moto is $50 more?)

Then you need goggles of course with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 253

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Got my first ride off road over the weekend, and the need for boots became apparent very quickly. I had a very sturdy set of shin high leather work boots on and I bet I hit the toe box 10 times. I got smarter and started moving my feet when I felt a hit might be coming, but that doesn't help with what the front tire kicks up. I also got to watch everybody else have a. Ike fall on them, so....probably the very next purchase! My pegs are also about 3" lower than most and 6" lower than others so a different riding style comes into play too.

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
What size boot do you wear?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Got my first ride off road over the weekend, and the need for boots became apparent very quickly. I had a very sturdy set of shin high leather work boots on and I bet I hit the toe box 10 times. I got smarter and started moving my feet when I felt a hit might be coming, but that doesn't help with what the front tire kicks up. I also got to watch everybody else have a. Ike fall on them, so....probably the very next purchase! My pegs are also about 3" lower than most and 6" lower than others so a different riding style comes into play too.

It's great you made that realization before it's too late. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated with friends who don't think they need gear because they're not riding aggressively or whatever, but it doesn't matter what kind of riding you're doing you gotta protect your body! :cheers: