• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

More solo wheeling

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Decided to head up to Empire and give Bard Creek a shot. Got about a mile or so in right next to some guys cabin and ran into this mess. IMG_20230429_134122000_HDR.jpg
There were no tracks there at first and I had to make like 6 runs at it to break through. Unfortunately then this happened just a little bit further down the trail...
IMG_20230429_133322967_HDR.jpg
Hit some pretty deep drift and back end was trying to slide off the trail. Luckily this didn't happen 7' further up at that culvert, that could have been bad. So I finally found out the limits of open diffs with my tires and for the first time bailed. After scouting around the corner looked like this was definitely a good call. It would have been a strugglebus for as far as I could see.
IMG_20230429_133311055_HDR.jpg
Here's my tracks after backing out of that spot (thankfully I wasn't fully stuck but it was tricky getting out of that spot without sliding back off the trail).
IMG_20230429_133619248_HDR.jpg

So after that I went to the other side of town to check out Mad Creek. There was another similar snow drift on a slope early in that I had to run at twice to get through the very top. Unfortunately about 2/3s of the way in to that trail I ran into another long stretch of snow drifts that I decided were not going to be possible. Went back and hung out at one of the camp sites and enjoyed a beer and scenery and headed out.
IMG_20230429_144456702_HDR.jpg

Also have some videos on google drive of the mild gatekeepers that both trails had that I videoed on the way out.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Christopher, I would throw some traction boards in the back of your rig for solo wheeling. Eventually you may want a winch, tree saver strap, and maybe even a pull-pal to extract yourself when there are no other vehicles with you.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Christopher, I would throw some traction boards in the back of your rig for solo wheeling. Eventually you may want a winch, tree saver strap, and maybe even a pull-pal to extract yourself when there are no other vehicles with you.
That is the plan, my bank account and other repairs have taken precedence though for now...hopefully I'll have a new job with higher pay soon.