attachment.php

Any thoughts? I still need to be able to tow up the mtns my PU camper

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Looks straightforward. Easier with a welder of course...:lmao:
You doing it yourself?

Oh, you mean thoughts like, "Don't do it Romer, your butt will fall off!!!!!!"

Meaning the truck.

Nope, popups are light, even yours. But that arrangement should be more than strong enough. I'll defer to GreenMachine for the final analysis.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
where is the bottom of the bumper in relation to the bottom of the receiver? Flush?

That' a lot of tube to just provide lateral stabilization.. If it's even close to flush, just cut some triangles and weld to the receiver, then to the bumper. 1 hour tops, and a 12 pack of new belgium tripple, and a dominican cohiba:smokin:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
John, do you have all the metal or would I need to pick that up?

One of the main reasons for this is so I don't have to listen to Nakman bitch anymore. All the way to Flat Nasty and back "we have to stop for gas AGAIN"

This would double my range. Towing I get about 9MPG and that give me a range of about 220-230 miles max on fumes. I would feel better with a range of 400+ miles. Not towing I can do better at 13-15 MPG.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
A while back there was Trails article by Royal Rose about constructing a long-range fuel tank for his 80. If you can go back and find it, maybe you could make one, John. :confused: I wonder if Royal would sell the plans?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Ken - I have everything, but I don't have a warm place to do the job. a vehicle won't fit in my space, as it's set up as a fab/studio space, and my welding table is the size of a vehicle. So, it needs to be daylight and above 30 deg :)

Chris - I would think it would be easier to get a pre-made one from a race car mfg and retrofit with brackets. I have all but shut down my side bus. due to family issues (no time, something had to go) and it would be tough for me to justify the time to R&D this..

besides, the wife has mentioned a copper counter top fab that sounds like I am busy for the next few years....

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I have a garage big enough, and a 230V Miller. Little time, but something like this Sunday afternoon might work. John, if you want to come over and do the deed I'll help you drink that New Belgium.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ken - I can do this this weekend if you want..

three o three 9068693

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks John. Not sure that I will need it done yet. I am pursuing other options.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am looking at the OEM 13 gallon sub tank. That would fit right over the slee receiver as it is.

http://george4wd.taskled.com/auxtank.html

That would extend my range to about 340 towing and 550 not towing.

All Aussie 80's came with a 13 gallon sub tank installed. Lots are pulling them out to either go with a larger tank or convert to LPV (?) propane.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I am looking at the OEM 13 gallon sub tank. That would fit right over the slee receiver as it is.

http://george4wd.taskled.com/auxtank.html

That would extend my range to about 340 towing and 550 not towing.

All Aussie 80's came with a 13 gallon sub tank installed. Lots are pulling them out to either go with a larger tank or convert to LPV (?) propane.

Expensive option for only a little over 2 Jerry cans worth of extra fuel! I can't find any info on the 25 gallon tanks you referanced earlier....I wanna know more! ;)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Here is an install on the 24 gallon. It's current price is $895 and about $250 to ship here because of the size of the boxes. If what I am currently evaluating falls through, I may go with this option. Question is that these pics are with a 4x4 labs bumper that had the crossmember removed. So comparing it to the Slee setup is not apples to apples.

I know someone with a Slee bumper who bought one and has had issues with the brackets and hasn't installed it yet. He xpected to do that soon and was going to send me some pics.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104791

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I don't want the 44 gallon because it hangs down too much and I really don't want to carry that extra weight. The 24 would be a good option. Frankly, the 13 gallon would meet my needs. We had to pull over all the way to Flat Nasty every 175 miles or so because we didn't know where the next gas station would be.

When I am towing my camper, I have a 5 Gallon Jerry can anyways. Not towing, can't see needing more than a 550 mile range

I don't want to have to change my springs again (extra weight) and not having to modify the Slee reciver is a plus.

The 13 Gallon tank from Spector used is $800 plus shipping. For that price I would go with the 24 gallon. BUT if I can do the 13 Gallon setup for about $400 total, then that would be worth it.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the info and links! I am persuing the 24gallon and will let you know what happens. Modifying the receiver is not a big deal at all!

I don't want the 44 gallon because it hangs down too much and I really don't want to carry that extra weight. The 24 would be a good option. Frankly, the 13 gallon would meet my needs. We had to pull over all the way to Flat Nasty every 175 miles or so because we didn't know where the next gas station would be.

When I am towing my camper, I have a 5 Gallon Jerry can anyways. Not towing, can't see needing more than a 550 mile range

I don't want to have to change my springs again (extra weight) and not having to modify the Slee reciver is a plus.

The 13 Gallon tank from Spector used is $800 plus shipping. For that price I would go with the 24 gallon. BUT if I can do the 13 Gallon setup for about $400 total, then that would be worth it.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I won't be needing this modification now. I bought a 13 gallon OEN sub tank for $60 on Australian ebay and it will be shipped for $149. For $210 I have the tank, brackets and pump.

Now I need to find the dual filler neck, anyone have any ideas? About $340 new from the aussie Toyota dealre and a friend is checking into junkyards there.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I won't be needing this modification now. I bought a 13 gallon OEN sub tank for $60 on Australian ebay and it will be shipped for $149. For $210 I have the tank, brackets and pump.

Now I need to find the dual filler neck, anyone have any ideas? About $340 new from the aussie Toyota dealre and a friend is checking into junkyards there.

Congradulations! Nice score!!!! :thumb:

Beater

Hard Core 4+

why not tee in on the rubber part? I don't know much about these dual tanks..

can you post a pick of what you bought?

j

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
why not tee in on the rubber part? I don't know much about these dual tanks..

can you post a pick of what you bought?

j

Because the factory fill neck is a direct bolt in and very cool! It has a lever to pull to divert fuel to the tank of choice.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
340.00 cool?

you know me kev.. I am a cheap bastard