• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Moab Trail learning weekend

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I hear you load and clear, I just want to find that seat of the pants feel point so I don't back of to soon or ...............well you know.

I don't think anyone likes that feeling! That and dropping straight off something that I know will result in a freefall often give me quite a goosebump thrill! It's such a hrad choice to drive through when your freaked or stop which tends to unload you causing more of a problem than if you just drove. :eek: :eek:

Jethro

Jethro,
Dude your 80 looks sweet! I haven't seen it since you made it bigger. I'm liking the look of the Short Bus bumper more and more!

And I like driving sumping that doesn't leave a trail of parts behind! If things go according to plan, we may see that old 40 again at CM08.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
It's such a hard choice to drive through when your freaked or stop which tends to unload you causing more of a problem than if you just drove. :eek: :eek:

Stopping is what was a costly mistake for me this weekend. We were on Cliffhanger and heading back when we came onto the section that is off camber, to the drivers side now. I did not look ahead enough to see the whole trail so when I felt to tippy I decided to back up..........costly mistake.:(

I backed up about two to three feet and all of a sudden I could not go any further. Seems I backed up into Jethro's 80:eek: I had the spare tire on my 4Runner and it only dented my tailgate some and knocked the window of the track. Jethro on the other hand got the worst of it. Broke his (borrowed) Ham antenna and dented his hood pretty good :( I had no clue he was behind me and all I wanted to do is get from rolling, I am sure I wasn't even close but that pants feeling was there and it told me back the heck up now!!

If I would have had more seat time in the truck at angles I would have known that I was OK and could have pushed on. I drove it before what was different now?? No spotter and me not looking ahead on the trail memorizing what I was about to drive over. An expensive lesson to learn but .............:eek:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Stopping is what was a costly mistake for me this weekend. We were on Cliffhanger and heading back when we came onto the section that is off camber, to the drivers side now. I did not look ahead enough to see the whole trail so when I felt to tippy I decided to back up..........costly mistake.:(

I backed up about two to three feet and all of a sudden I could not go any further. Seems I backed up into Jethro's 80:eek: I had the spare tire on my 4Runner and it only dented my tailgate some and knocked the window of the track. Jethro on the other hand got the worst of it. Broke his (borrowed) Ham antenna and dented his hood pretty good :( I had no clue he was behind me and all I wanted to do is get from rolling, I am sure I wasn't even close but that pants feeling was there and it told me back the heck up now!!

If I would have had more seat time in the truck at angles I would have known that I was OK and could have pushed on. I drove it before what was different now?? No spotter and me not looking ahead on the trail memorizing what I was about to drive over. An expensive lesson to learn but .............:eek:

but it sure was fun to get on the cb and yell "beep beep beep" whenever you went into reverse the rest of the weekend!!! :)

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I didn't even know this happened! That explains the "BEEP BEEP BEEP" thing, the "I'm backing up" announcements on the radio, the weird dent in Bruce's hood, and the dangling spare on Tom's truck. HUH!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Looked like a fun weekend. We were busy skiing in the snow that fell during your drive home. Bummer about the crash. But what kind of wheeling trip would it be if nothing broke?

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I didn't even know this happened! That explains the "BEEP BEEP BEEP" thing, the "I'm backing up" announcements on the radio, the weird dent in Bruce's hood, and the dangling spare on Tom's truck. HUH!

And then a light went on in Steve's head..........................:lmao:

JK Steve, it was an accident that turned into a fun thing............sort of.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
OUCH! What a bummer! How bad is the damage? Obviously it happened after the picture I pulled and posted.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
OUCH! What a bummer! How bad is the damage? Obviously it happened after the picture I pulled and posted.

Happened about an hour or so after that pic. I was sleeping on a rock at the time about 10 feet from a several hundred foot dropoff. :eek: Never said I was the smartest guy out there.....

T

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

Hood has a nice bump in it and the Ham antenna was broken. On my part I dented the tailgate again, knocked the window of the track and may have broken a mount on the tire holder.:eek:

I was going to post my pictures last night but Comcast was so nice and decided to work on the cable box outside our yard. No Internet access till later today at home.:mad:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hood has a nice bump in it and the Ham antenna was broken. On my part I dented the tailgate again, knocked the window of the track and may have broken a mount on the tire holder.:eek:

I was going to post my pictures last night but Comcast was so nice and decided to work on the cable box outside our yard. No Internet access till later today at home.:mad:

Owie! Unfortunely, there is no such thing as a "nice" bump on 80 sheet metal! That will prolly cost more than everything else combined! Sorry to hear that man! Wouldn't it be so handy to get a time rewind button that you could use maybe one or twice a year that would just back up time say maybe 10 minutes? :rolleyes:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
UB If you ever come across one of those let me know I will buy it. It was an expensive trip for me with the "little" bump and my own little bump in our cul de sac.

All in all I would go again in a minute, I just wouldn't back up...........Beeeeeep Beeeeeep Beeeeeep Tom Over and out!

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all for posting these pics - I am jonesing for Moab bad!!!

A question for you all who were just out there:

I will be wheeling Pig this year, no lift, on 31's. The body is very nice as Pigs go, and I want to keep rockers and quarters intact.

Are Wipe Out Hill and Porcopine Rim wise choices for this rig? DOes Wipe Out have a bypass for the actual obstacle?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wipeout Hill does not have a bypass.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Are Wipe Out Hill and Porcopine Rim wise choices for this rig? DOes Wipe Out have a bypass for the actual obstacle?

Wipeout Hill does not have a bypass.

Also as I posted in the other thread, you'll have no problem running Wipeout in a stockish wagon. It's steeeeeep, but the direct line would be hard to damage your rig on. It's the short wheelbase rigs that you would risk going over the handlebars on. :thumb:

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Also as I posted in the other thread, you'll have no problem running Wipeout in a stockish wagon. It's steeeeeep, but the direct line would be hard to damage your rig on. It's the short wheelbase rigs that you would risk going over the handlebars on. :thumb:

I'm just worried about dragging quarter panels on the direct line. I am wondering about the line off to the left (when looking down hill) as I think it less drop-off.

Is Wipe Out Hill part of another trail? I was trying to look it up in the Wells book and it is not listed as a stand alone trail...