• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Moab October 15-19

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Today is the day! See y'all around 3:30ish.
I know one of my buddies plans to stop for a min and than get a head start headed into the hills.

ddelong6767

Lifted
It's been a crazy week but I'm heading out tomorrow in my Ram with @Beach Boy 's LJ70 in tow. Anybody got an open seat on Saturday for someone to ride shotgun? My 60 has to stay home for this one and I don't really want to wheel the Ram if I can avoid it. :)

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
P1030595.JPG

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Do you folks know the guy in the blue hoody, spotting on Hells Gate? Props to him, as he also spotted the blue Colorado truck waiting at the bottom in the photo, and that guy was in our group. I was going to spot via radio, but all I did was keep saying "Yep... yep...", as that guy directed our driver well. Thanks if he's on here!! BTW, if you saw a black JKUR with two legs sticking out from under it as you approach the lookout/Hells Gate lot, those legs were mine...

On a separate note, I don't live there like Beach Boy does, but I've been wheeling in Moab over 40 times in the last 20 years, and I have never seen the trails so crowded, or the traffic so bad. The latter was largely due to the mess on 191, and I doubt I'll go back 'till that project is finished. Even if you get to town via 128, trails north of town may as well not exist, as the return trip is an hour or two longer than it otherwise would be.

Mark

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm guessing it's Jimmy, though it's hard to tell from the back. @J1000 here on the forum.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
That was Ryan spitting jimmy and for that Chevy. With 30 people watching he just slid down there on his flip flops and nailed the spotting. Jimmy did a great job driving with no lockers on his 100

ddelong6767

Lifted
Here's a few photos I shot on Hell's Gate Saturday, if anyone wants full res versions let me know.

@Beach Boy flexing the LJ...
IMG_20201017_142110.jpg

@J1000 on one of the exit obstacles...
IMG_20201017_140150.jpg

Ryan coming up in the panorama. Not pictured - two piece rear coil spring. :)
IMG_20201017_120452.jpg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
"two piece rear coil spring" :ROFLMAO: really wonder how those u bolts woulda held up
Hahaha! That would've been a heck of a "trail fix" . . . or should I say "trial fix" testing the quality of our MacGyver-neering :wrench::wrench::wrench:

It just occurred to me it would've also been interesting if someone had some stick electrodes (some 6010s or 7018s???) and jumper cables. It's not at all recommended to weld spring steel, but if we had to make due with u-bolts then why not also do some welding-101? :weld:

Allen

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Do you folks know the guy in the blue hoody, spotting on Hells Gate? Props to him, as he also spotted the blue Colorado truck waiting at the bottom in the photo, and that guy was in our group. I was going to spot via radio, but all I did was keep saying "Yep... yep...", as that guy directed our driver well. Thanks if he's on here!! BTW, if you saw a black JKUR with two legs sticking out from under it as you approach the lookout/Hells Gate lot, those legs were mine...

On a separate note, I don't live there like Beach Boy does, but I've been wheeling in Moab over 40 times in the last 20 years, and I have never seen the trails so crowded, or the traffic so bad. The latter was largely due to the mess on 191, and I doubt I'll go back 'till that project is finished. Even if you get to town via 128, trails north of town may as well not exist, as the return trip is an hour or two longer than it otherwise would be.

Mark
I was there this weekend mountain biking. I agree unfortunately im
Not going back until the construction is done. It was awful.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
I was there this weekend mountain biking. I agree unfortunately im
Not going back until the construction is done. It was awful.

Oh, man, sorry I missed you! We took our bikes, but didn't ride, at all. The plan was to ride the Intrepid system at Dead Horse Saturday afternoon, but I wasn't about to sit in that traffic coming back.

This was a different trip for us, organized by one of my old work mates at HPE. For the first time since 2002, I drove the rig I was wheeling over and back, though it was the jeep this time, not the 4Runner. It reminded me how much I *love* our Excursion.

I hope you're well!!

Mark

drpow

I was over there just before this run for a little over a week and had to leave on the 9th, or I would have got with you all. But I did get to meet Beach Boy though and have lunch at his awesome place. Great guy. Agree with you guys about trails and traffic and that construction that seems to never end. Totally absurd now with yet more hotels going up. My friend who works at Gearheads said owner had far and away his biggest September and October $$$ ever, evening out his loss from shutdown time. Lot of pent up demand obviously this fall, but crowds likely to continue to just get bigger there in coming years.