Mini Truck Rear Bumpers

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thinking about the last major piece of the armor pie for the truck. I have a Smittybilt rear tube bumper, nothing wrong with that really. But I think I'd like to beef up the quarter panel protection. Nothing super fancy but just a bit a couple of extra tubes.

So do you think making this:
S53-21.JPG

Closer to this is worth the time?
rearbumper_hilux_profile_550.jpg

Marlin get about $250 for a rear bumper. Besides the quarter panel tubing it does have a bit more clearance (mostly the 2.25" of the receiver, which is tucked up much better on the Marlin). It's not a huge deal, probably a couple of inches. Thinking of welding plates to the sides of the Smitty and a couple of properly places tubes. Should be a lot less in material and beer for Art Hog than sending $250 to Marlin.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Tramontana runs a bumper from AllPro (same as MC for the most part) and likes it.
I would avoid the Smitty. Just not enough to work with.
I built a decent one for Justin, he removed it to fiddle with his bed and has not gotten around to putting it back on.
I'd build you something, but to be worth my while by the time we got it done it would cost you about what Marlin gets. Marlin's looks to be what you need.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thinking about the last major piece of the armor pie for the truck. I have a Smittybilt rear tube bumper, nothing wrong with that really. But I think I'd like to beef up the quarter panel protection. Nothing super fancy but just a bit a couple of extra tubes.

So do you think making this:
S53-21.JPG

Closer to this is worth the time?
rearbumper_hilux_profile_550.jpg

Marlin get about $250 for a rear bumper. Besides the quarter panel tubing it does have a bit more clearance (mostly the 2.25" of the receiver, which is tucked up much better on the Marlin). It's not a huge deal, probably a couple of inches. Thinking of welding plates to the sides of the Smitty and a couple of properly places tubes. Should be a lot less in material and beer for Art Hog than sending $250 to Marlin.

If Arthog had the time then by all means support him! I have to agree with Bill! I wouldn't built a bumper for someone for less than what Marlin is charging! Not worth my time!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The Smitty is built with 0.109" wall 3" dia. tubing, Marlin uses 0.120" wall 1.75" dia. tubing, All Pro is using 1.5" dia. 0.120" wall tubing. Like you say Bill, the AP and MC are pretty similar (I'd go with Marlin, I like the way his 2" receiver works since it can retain the stock spare location). Cost wise. A plate to cap the ends of the Smittybilt and tubing for the quarter panel protection, how much do you think? It'll be $300 by the time the bumper is shipped.

arthog

Hard Core 4+
Should be a lot less in material and beer for Art Hog than sending $250 to Marlin.[/QUOTE]

It just got cheeper, I drink about 12 beers a year. and I like beer. my offer still stands.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Should be a lot less in material and beer for Art Hog than sending $250 to Marlin.

It just got cheeper, I drink about 12 beers a year. and I like beer. my offer still stands.
Perfect. I'd really like a swing out bumper, like the old Stout bumpers. So beefing this sucker up for Rubithon in the mean time is probably the way to go.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Get the AP kit if Arthog will weld it up for you.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Besides....any day that you can support Marlin is a great day! :thumb:
I'm not too worried about that, he'll be getting plenty more from me next month (transfer case) as well. I think Terry and I could have jerry rigged some quarter protection, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as clean as just going with what works.

arthog

Hard Core 4+
I think Terry and I could have jerry rigged some quarter protection, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as clean as just going with what works.

Sorry, I DON'T jerry rig. Its best you went some where else. Im an artist with many skills. If I helped you with this everyone would want one. I don't want too be a BUMPER BUILDER.:blah::blah::lmao:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sorry, I DON'T jerry rig. Its best you went some where else. Im an artist with many skills. If I helped you with this everyone would want one. I don't want too be a BUMPER BUILDER.:blah::blah::lmao:
Yeah, I'd hate to have offended you. ;-) I stuck my head under there and I think the way to mod the Smitty would have been to cut the bottom tube off, re-make the mount, weld the receiver higher and then wrap the quarters. Basically convert the top half of the Smitty into a Marlin... Otherwise we'd have this huge, heavy, awkward contraption. This way I still get to come up (I need to run a couple of reinforcing welds after the bumper is installed), bring the bike and drink beer without all that crazy work getting in the way of recreational time.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Changed my mind and bought a Marlin bumper.

Thought about it, did some chin scratching and looking. I will be gaining significant clearance under the bumper. The Smitty drops down more to avoid the rear apron (Marlin expects it to be notched) and that combined with the hanging receiver means it's at least 6" lower. I have a long overhang and am not all that tall, so adding the quarter protection would have made the Smitty a major departure hang up, more so than it already is (it scrapes all the time). Having the bumper sent here to work and that saved me $50 in shipping and that sold it for me.

rearbumper_11_500.jpg

rearbumper12_500.jpg

rearbumper6_500.jpg

Then I saw what this guy (HNTZ4X4 over at Pirate) did to his Marlin 4Runner bumper. I really liked what he did for his swing out, that is slick. At some point I'll probably copy that. Like when I learn to weld and get a welder. Which will only happen when I build a new garage. Which will happen whenever Kirsten is done with school. So like 3 years minimum. In the mean time I will have a super duper, ultra awesome bumper like the cool kids.
That is a cool 4Runner. His spare is mounted too low though. DAMHIK.:lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
New license plate: 2TL4UB

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That is a cool 4Runner. His spare is mounted too low though. DAMHIK.:lmao:

Wait, I wanted to ask you:
How do you know?
Huh huhn?
"Inquiring minds want to know."
FYI: I'm going to post this every time you use this abbreviation.
:D