IoN6

Rising Sun Member
1643396023453.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Neil-Young-Joni-Mitchell.jpeg

Neil Young contracted polio as a child in the '50s, years before a vaccine was available. After being released from hospital, he had to relearn how to walk. Polio left him permanently disabled, contributed to a serious anxiety disorder and affects his life to this day.

Neil also has epilepsy, as does his daughter. His two sons have cerebral palsy. He wrote a whole album, Trans, as a way to communicate with one of them. He & his wife also founded a nonprofit, The Bridge School, for kids with severe disabilities. Every year Neil organizes a benefit concert for The Bridge School. He has done this since 1986.

Neil Young has charted his own life. He has character, morals, and an actual spine. In 2022, it's so unusual to see someone take a stand based on actual principles that our go-to response is to make fun of him as if he is a "Karen" complaining about the way her groceries were loaded in the bag. This couldn't be further from the truth — he has dedicated a significant portion of his life to helping take care of people with disabilities, and he considers this enough of a serious matter that he is willing to stand up for what he believes in. He doesn't give a f**k what people think.

I don't think Joe Rogan needs to be shut down, but he has a big audience. Neil Young may be past his heyday, but he still has a few arrows left in his quiver. He has contributed a powerful message to the public conversation. I couldn't respect him more for this.

Last edited:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
You will relate to this if you ever paid CSU tuition fees.
CSU MEME.jpg

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Big Tuesday Energy.

LETMEIN.jpg

J1000

Rising Sun Member
View attachment 101557

Neil Young contracted polio as a child in the '50s, years before a vaccine was available. After being released from hospital, he had to relearn how to walk. Polio left him permanently disabled, contributed to a serious anxiety disorder and affects his life to this day.

Neil also has epilepsy, as does his daughter. His two sons have cerebral palsy. He wrote a whole album, Trans, as a way to communicate with one of them. He & his wife also founded a nonprofit, The Bridge School, for kids with severe disabilities. Every year Neil organizes a benefit concert for The Bridge School. He has done this since 1986.

Neil Young has charted his own life. He has character, morals, and an actual spine. In 2022, it's so unusual to see someone take a stand based on actual principles that our go-to response is to make fun of him as if he is a "Karen" complaining about the way her groceries were loaded in the bag. This couldn't be further from the truth — he has dedicated a significant portion of his life to helping take care of people with disabilities, and he considers this enough of a serious matter that he is willing to stand up for what he believes in. He doesn't give a f**k what people think.

I don't think Joe Rogan needs to be shut down, but he has a big audience. Neil Young may be past his heyday, but he still has a few arrows left in his quiver. He has contributed a powerful message to the public conversation. I couldn't respect him more for this.
Not to take this off-track too far but let's remember polio and the polio vaccines correctly:

"Created by Jonas Salk, the vaccine was hailed as the miracle drug that would conquer the dreaded illness that killed and paralyzed children. ...
As she checked a sample from Cutter Laboratories in Berkeley, Calif., she noticed that the vaccine designed to protect against the disease had instead given polio to a test monkey. ...
Despite Eddy’s warnings, an estimated 120,000 children that year were injected with the Cutter vaccine, according to Paul A. Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Roughly 40,000 got “abortive” polio, with fever, sore throat, headache, vomiting and muscle pain. Fifty-one were paralyzed, and five died.
It was “one of the worst biological disasters in American history: a man-made polio epidemic,” Offit wrote.
“This was a product that had never been made before, and they were going to use it right away,” Eddy had said.

She began testing Cutter’s samples in August 1954 and continued through November, according to a later report in the Congressional Record. She found that three of the six samples paralyzed test monkeys.
Starting on the evening of April 12, 1955, batches of the Salk vaccine made by five drug firms were shipped out in boxes marked “POLIO VACCINE: RUSH.”

About 165,000 doses of Cutter’s went out.

Within weeks, reports of mysterious polio infections started coming in.
Not only did some people injected with the tainted vaccine get sick, but some who got the vaccine went on to infect family members and neighbors.
The jury foreman said: “Cutter Laboratories [brought] to market a … vaccine which when given to plaintiffs caused them to come down with polio.”"

riderjgs

Lifted
You will relate to this if you ever paid CSU tuition fees.View attachment 101562
I have a friend who calls today's tuition rates at state colleges and universities "the biggest middle class tax increase in my lifetime" since the escalation started with the state was forced to trim back higher ed spending and focus on K-12. I used to tell folks I knew who had kids early (we waited 13 years) that when they paid off condo on Maui I'd be cashing Social Security checks for college tuition. I'm now doing that to pay off my son's last student loan.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Not to take this off-track too far but let's remember polio and the polio vaccines correctly:

I feel like that's like remembering the person who died from a seatbelt injury during a car wreck and forgetting that it saved the life of everyone else in the car. Yes, 51 people were paralyzed, and 5 died from the vaccine, but... at its peak in the 1940s and 1950s, polio would paralyze or kill over half a million people worldwide every year.

Anyways, I like Land Cruisers...

1643752917287.png

1643752985804.png

1643753050554.png

FZJ Dave

View attachment 101557

You can be an awesome person and live an awesome life, but still be the butt of jokes and disrespected for trying to cancel or silence someone that opposes your point of view. It is one thing to say "I am leaving Spotify because they support Joe Rogan." It is another thing to say "I am leaving if you don't silence Joe Rogan." I respect the first, despise the 2nd. Standing for your beliefs doesn't imply imposing those beliefs on others in my opinion.