• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

master cylinder

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ok, been searching here and on Mud for hours, thought I would post before it drives me nutty. Put the original (I think) dual MC on the 40 today with a booster I grabbed from Shark Bait (THANKS!) Got everything hooked up and filled with fluid. Both pressure switches are leaking fluid, the rear one drained in 30 minutes. I am guessing they are not supposed to leak out the pressure switches. Worth trying to rebuild? I see on SOR I can replaced just the switches, but if the seals are bad there, I would guess they are all bad. After I pumped the brakes a few times there was also fluid sprayed in the engine bay, so I think they are leaking good. Or I am doing something very newbie wrong? Thanks.

T

PS-I have pics, will post tomorrow.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Pressure switch? The cups are empty? They are most likely leaking at the wheel cyl then.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Pressure switch? The cups are empty? They are most likely leaking at the wheel cyl then.

Definitely leaking all over the engine bay at the "oil pressure switch" - what the 71 manual calls them. I guess they are hooked up to electrical leads and will light up the brake warning light if they detect loss of pressure? Regardless of what they do or what they are called, they probably should not be leaking....

Attachments

• mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 163

wesintl

RS Moderator
oh... the brake warning lights.. IIRC those don't have a gasket on them. They are like pipe thread. Just tigheten them down if they are leaking at the thread. Or try some thread tape on them. If they are leaking from internally pull em and plug the holes.

My :twocents:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
oh... the brake warning lights.. IIRC those don't have a gasket on them. They are like pipe thread. Just tigheten them down if they are leaking at the thread. Or try some thread tape on them. If they are leaking from internally pull em and plug the holes.

leaking from the bottom, internally I think, not at the threads. Tried to tighten them and they are very stuck, not sure I could remove them if I tried!!

Thanks!

T

wesintl

RS Moderator
If you can get them off I probably have a set on an old master I have. Lord only knows why I keep bad masters and waterpumps. I sure as heck ain't going to rebuild it.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tim,

You could use almost any LC or mini truck MC. So you might just get a new one or re-man one somewhere.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
If you can get them off I probably have a set on an old master I have. Lord only knows why I keep bad masters and waterpumps. I sure as heck ain't going to rebuild it.

heh...I will PB them tonight and see if I can get them off. At this point I would probably just plug them if the rest of the MC is good. I can always replace it once it is on the road. I just want to see if I can get the brake system checked and ok before the engine goes in...

Thanks all!

T
:beer: :hill: :beer:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
you could always just plug them off and go without brake warning lites.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
you could always just plug them off and go without brake warning lites.

probably what I will do if the MC is good. what would plug them good? :)

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ok, sometime me not sooo smart. I think the brake light switches are ok, I removed them, teflon taped them, and reinstalled them. They seem ok, but I missed a hole on the opposite side of the MC from the rear brake line. It seems to small for a brake fitting, and I don't see any line or anything that would fit. The 71 manual seems to show a bolt going in that hole. Is that hole supposed to be for anything? If it is usually plugged, I wonder what happened? Sorry for being such a newb!

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
fixed...had the brilliant idea of looking through the coffee can of parts the 40 came with and found the missing bolt. They must have removed it to drain the MC. Thanks everyone!

T