LX450/FXJ80 Mods for CM07 - Need advice from those that have BTDT

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok...

So assuming all goes well we will be in CM07 with the LX450...

That leaves me just a few short months (less if it doesn't warm up a little :hill: for this whimp) to get done what I need to get done to make the LX trail ready. The trails I requested for our first time to CM were: Elephant Hill, Fins & Things, Poison Spider Mesa, and Wipe-Out Hill.

Right now the LX is bone stock except for the 285 Toyo MTs and the low hanging draw-tite hitch. I do have the majic dial.

So, aside from all of the PM stuff what would you folks suggest as the most important things to do? $$ is an issue, unless I win the lottery, so I need to start with the most important and work my way down the list.

Here is what I am thinking:
  1. Sliders - leaning toward the Metal Tech sliders...suggestions appreciated on others though
  2. Lift - no clue here...Drove that 80 that was on CL and eBay with the 6" Slee lift and honestly I felt it was too much for my planned use. Maybe the 4" lift or OME 2.5" lift? The 285s are brand new so I won't be going up in tire size, if ever, for quite awhile. Doubt I would ever go larger than 315s/35"
  3. Front Bumper - Seems ARB tends to get the vote by many...And I have a winch that I think will work with it
  4. Rear Bumper - I like the Slee with the tire carrier & hi-lift holder but cost will probably preclude that purchase for some time...I can pull the spare and carry it inside on the trails and I guess the trailer hitch will offer some protection on the trails right :hill:
  5. Other items? - CDL switch, headlight upgrade, a dang cup holder?
I will get the sliders done and maybe the lift depending on cost and justification (i.e. I can't run the trails without it). After that I may not be able to get much done until I have more $$ or start selling stuff off (maybe the 40 needs to go....:()

So, what say you folks to make sure my first CM experience is a good one and so I don't become a hindrance on the trail for the other folks attending.

Again thanks to everyone for all your help, suggestions, and advice over the last many months!!

isotel

id think the CDL Switch is the first thing.. Then Sliders..

Bumpers would be great too, but you could go with out, if you Smash up the stock bumpers you can always take them off and add Beef Bumpers later..

Im a Fan of the way the Slee Front Bumper looks Vs. the ARB but both are sweet! See you in May!

Trevor

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sliders #1.. even ahead of CDL but not really a comparison cost-wise, just do them both. All the other stuff is great to have, but not a requirement.. you will hit your back bumper a few times and use that receiver hitch again and again, but nothing to worry about. You probably won't hit your front bumper on anything.

Also make sure you have those recovery "loops" that attach to the frame, you may already have them but check- get 2 in front, 2 in back. Not only are they great attachment points for straps, but they also work as sliders to some degree: the one in the right rear protects the exhaust, the one on the left in front protects the ac dryer, etc. :rolleyes:

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Lift and sliders would be first on my list. I have the 2.5" heavy OME lift and am running 33's and could run 35's with some adjustments.:thumb:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sliders and lift then front bumper. The CDL is a given.

First year I went I did not have a rear bumper. A few scrapes, but I did not care as I was going to replace it anyways.

Lots of folks come with the stock bumper.

Sliders will save $$$$$ in damage and should be number 1.

Lift to allow you the clerance and flexibility to do more.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ken,

I looked for the "Romer package" on Slee's site but I didn't see it anywhere :)

Not than I could afford the package. :bowdown:

Ok, so thanks to all so far for their input. Need to get some sliders on order and get the CDL mod done...Then start researching lifts to see what I can afford. Need the hitch to pull the pop-up so I'll use it for bumper protection as well for the time being. Then start checking the couch for spare change for the front bumper :D

Oh, and check for attachment points. Pretty sure they are there but better check. Thanks for the tip on that!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Just suck it up and drive your 74 out there ;)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Just dive it as is. For those trails you'll come out fine. Take off the running boards if there still there. You might loose a rear mud flap. Reaserch the spare lift mod on MUD. Collect a few spare parts, Birf, hoses, belts, fuses,ect.
Sure get sliders if it's in the budget. I'd have Irbis off road weld up something sweet. You got lockers right? what more do you really need..... Leather and A/C...

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Don't forget the cup holder. :D :lmao:

Did anyone invest in the t-case skid plate?

Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Just suck it up and drive your 74 out there ;)

Wife had a look of horror when I first mentioned CM07 to her and she thought we were taking the FJ40 :eek:

It would be fun on the trail but that long of a drive with her and the two littles ones would be a killer...on all of us

Contemplated pulling it to Moab but then I'd have to figure out how to get the pop-up out there as well...I just can't see the :Princess:s surviving the ride in the 40 plus multiple days of tent living...Well they might survive but I doubt I would :hill:. Maybe I could mount the RTT on my little utility trailer and drag that out :lmao:

Now that I've got her and the little ones excited about the trip I using it as the justification to start the "build up"...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Reaserch the spare lift mod on MUD. Collect a few spare parts, Birf, hoses, belts, fuses,ect.

Thanks for the reminder! I remember reading about that now but plum forgot about it. Think that would tuck the 285 far enough up to not be a concern on the trail? $1800+ for a rear bumper setup made me dizzy...Maybe I shouldn't have sold that much blood at one time though for the mod fund :eek:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Center Diff Lock. The CDL switch allows you to lock the center diff independently in high range and, (if I understand it properly) also in low range if you've done the "pin-7" mod. Normally, the FZJ80 locks the center diff automatically in low range. The "pin-7" mod overrides that and allows manual locking of the center diff in low range.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have the skid plate and would recommend that as well. It's in-expensive ($140) and easy to install yourself

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You mean LEXUS OWNERS work or their own stuff TOO????

:lmao:

Next thing you know they'll be buying MIGs and SawzAlls.

Really sliders are about all you would need for those trails. I'd probably go sliders and then the lift. As has been stated before bumpers aren't mandatory. You might scuff them up but suffering more body damage from dinging them is not as likely. I have seen people pull the end caps of the bumpers off to do Moab. That might not be a bad idea. One thing I didn't see anyone mention is to ditch the spare tire underneath. Even if this just means strapping it down in the back. I've done this and then I zip tie the chain hoist up so it doesn't bang around and catch on things.

Sliders: There are getting to be a lot of choices. I'd look through Ih8mud.com in the 80 section for the pluses and minuses of each kind.

Bumpers: I'd do the same thing. Lots of good stuff in the 80s section on Ih8mud.com

Other than Wipe-Out Hill I'd be willing to drive a stock 80 minus running boards on any of the trails you've suggested. My big concern would be tires which you've already addressed. I'm not familiar with Wipe-Out Hill. However, I've been driving 80s for a long time and I have quite a few trips to Moab under my belt. The best recommendation I could give to you is to find another wagon to hang with on the trail. I've seen some pretty crappy drivers do some incredible things in Moab. Mostly because they can Monkey see Monkey do the obstacle. I'm not saying you are inept in driving your rig but there is safety in numbers.

sno bored

Trail Ready
CDL is cheap and easy, it took me about 20 minutes. For sliders and bumpers i went to Oleg at Irbis offroad. He is a Rising Sun member and a great guy. He can build them however you want them, and is cheaper than most of the other places out there. He has made sliders and bumpers for some of the other R.S. members if you want to see what kind of work he does.

FJBen

again sliders....unless you are going to lift it 5" + and run 37's...:D

Even with my 5" lift and 35's I was always nervous about the rockers...get them first!!! You could always go with a cheapie spacer lift to gain another 1~1.5" and they are stupid easy and fast to put in.

I'm HOPING to make it there this year...it will be pretty tough and dependant on our house/selling/living situation...

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I would get your lift from Slee along with the skid plate. I would recommend an OME medium lift to start with. You can do it yourself except the OME bushings are a pain or you can have Slee do it. I didn't want to deal with the bushings, so I had Slee install mine.

Oleg has done all the body work to fix my tee experiance at Moab, could recommend anyone more. He also installed my supercharger and built the set of rear storage drawers for Rachel's truck.

Both Slee and Oleg have nice Sliders. I have Slee sliders on my LX450 and 4runner and Olegs and Sarah's 4runner.

We are very lucky to have guys like Slee and Oleg in our club, I do my best to support both of them. Just look at my checking account :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ANYTHING that protects ... I would do sliders and skids, then everything else, and DON'T remove the factory hitch, you will need that to slide you down the ledges and protect the frame back there.

tires, lift and gadgets are not nescessarily needed to have a good time in moab.