Locker thoughts...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
And there you go.

One thing to keep in mind, Wes is SWB but the power characteristics are... steady. Yeah, that's it, steady. :D

FWIW, my son's peachpitectomies were OFFroad. On the street it was merely annoying. He has a light rear though. The truck does I mean.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I agree Ben, my 40 is my DD and I am saving coin for a set of the ARB's... man it takes a lot of coin! $$$$$$$$

But in the end, I think it is worth it. My rig is not hard core by any means, but it is a great daily driver!

Drew

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...:D

This rig is my daily driver :thumb: year in/out :D

I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a :Princess: but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points :D I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.

Sounds like a good choice!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a :Princess: but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money till I can put one in the front.

I actually have only ever had Lock Rights/Aussie Lockers ever. They're not that bad. Like Wes says, you adjust your driving habits a little. It doesn't always push the rear end out on a start, just sometimes.

If anyone's interested in my Aussie Locker I'd sell it. NIB. Send me a PM. I'm starting a fund for a rear ARB. :grinpimp:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a Lockright in the rear of my 40. I bought it used from Dan Dilley. He hammered on it and so have I. When I broke my rear axle a couple of years ago, the lockright still looked perfect.

Never had much issue with snow and ice. I do get the usual banging going around a sharp corner slowly, but you can avoid it by giving it a little gas to disengage just as you start the turn.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!
Forgot about you c-clip types...

Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...:D

This rig is my daily driver :thumb: year in/out :D

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points :D I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.

Ben,
I think you are on the right path with this statement.
SM420, 350 V8 And locked rear on a daily driver short wheel base dont sound like a whole lota fun, especially with our Colorado snow.
Dual ARB's actually can increase value on your rig like none of the others should you decide to sell in the future.
Just My opinion.

Back in my first cruiser i had a rear locker on a hunting trip to Walden, parked it on a slight slope and after raining and snowing all day jumped in the cruiser to go back to camp at the end of a sloppy day, i almost ended up at the bottom of the mountain, had to strap out of a little mud snow mix because the back end just wanted to slid down the hill.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!

only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear :D

Spools and welded rears actually are smoother than you would think! I ran a welded in WR for a little while and most of the time I really liked it! The times I didn't like it I totally hated it! My favorite hate story was at a Wendy's in Boulder one hot summer day. I went through the drive through and all was well until I had to make the sharp u bend at the order kiosk. The grooved Swampers did their job too well and the inside rear would not spin. I was quite a site sliding my front tires sideways trying to turn over and over and over! Finally, I just got aggressive enough to start the rear tires spinning and made the turn....now that sucked! :lmao: :rolleyes:

FJBen

lol...parking lot fun...

I'd like to keep my tires for awhile...:eek:

The plan is to go ARB/ARB....with ARB in rear to start off.

Questions:

Pablocruise gave a 3rd from a '69 to stick my ARB in/build. I thought there were some differences in bolt sizes on 3rds? :confused: Will this 69 fit in my 67' housing without issue?

Ben

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
lol...parking lot fun...

I'd like to keep my tires for awhile...:eek:

The plan is to go ARB/ARB....with ARB in rear to start off.

Questions:

Pablocruise gave a 3rd from a '69 to stick my ARB in/build. I thought there were some differences in bolt sizes on 3rds? :confused: Will this 69 fit in my 67' housing without issue?

Ben

You'll love the locker choice!

As for the Carriers...Internally no differance. I'm not positive when the housings changed stud size but thats something you can do a quick visual on. Older had the small 10mm hstuds and later models went to 12mm studs.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
yes, you will love that.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Especially with the new floating seals and awesomely strong case!
(and not that the old one wasn't strong, eh!)

FJBen

Well, this isn't my first dance with ARB's :D the piggy was fully locked with them so I'm just spoiled I guess. I would buy the second one for the front, but that moneys going to 30 spline longs :thumb:

I have a NIB one that I think is a year or two old. Anyway to verify the year or if It has the new seals???

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The new floating seal setup is retained by a ring, whereas the old one was retained by three allen head screws that screwed into a retaining ring that went behind the carrier bearing lockring.

You likely have the older style, which ain't bad at all really. You can retrofit the new style but this would require changing the end cap of the locker, making it a bit 'spensive.

FJBen

The new floating seal setup is retained by a ring, whereas the old one was retained by three allen head screws that screwed into a retaining ring that went behind the carrier bearing lockring.

You likely have the older style, which ain't bad at all really. You can retrofit the new style but this would require changing the end cap of the locker, making it a bit 'spensive.

Good to know :) :beer: I never had any issues with my old ARB's...so I won't mess with it.

FJBen

nuther question regarding install kits: using the same gears.

New bearings carrier, pinion, crush sleeve?

New bearings crush sleeve, shims, ring gear bolts?

Just use old setup if the bearings are good?

I noticed most of the kits are just bearings/crush sleeve. Is there a reason for that, that I'm unaware? I'm assuming the smartest path would be the full master kit, bearings, sleeve, ring bolts, shims for pinion, seal etc.

FJBen

nuther question regarding install kits: using the same gears.

New bearings carrier, pinion, crush sleeve?

New bearings crush sleeve, shims, ring gear bolts?

Just use old setup if the bearings are good?

I noticed most of the kits are just bearings/crush sleeve. Is there a reason for that, that I'm unaware? I'm assuming the smartest path would be the full master kit, bearings, sleeve, ring bolts, shims for pinion, seal etc.

anyone???

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I personally would replace everything while i was in there.

You are spending a bunch of money on the locker, having it ruined due to old bearings giving out would be a real kicker.

Replace it now while the truck is down, and then you don't have to worry about it.