Loaded 26r or 27.5

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
OK
So I have a question I need help with
Coming off of a 2011 Yeti 575 with XT build
Sold it last August and bought a Intense Tracer Foundation Build couldn't ride it as the frame was damaged before I got it
I just got that issue sorted out and the shop finally refunded me the money for the bike
Thought the components were definitely weak compared to my YETI
Now my question is I can get a loaded Carbon Ibis Mojo or a Yeti SB6c with 26 inch wheels and a great build XTR or do I get a mediocer 27.5
I m not racing but have riden a lot and will ride a lot
I'm used to dirt bikes which are extremely precise and tight so I like one finger brakes precise shift etc....

Thanks for your help
I live in Golden so most will be trails around here and some Moab
Lots of riding with my kids 10 and 8 but they are pretty good and like single track
Thanks

wesintl

RS Moderator
a mojo or sb6 in 26, is it nos? or a 27.5? I'm not following

The deore line works well. I've had xt and xtr and there isn't much difference save a few gr

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Sorry
I could get something similar to a XT build in a Mojo or a SB66 with 26" or a 27.5 with basic build
The money goes ALOT farther with a 26 than a 27.5 ????

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Buying used, definitely. It's pretty incredible the prices that really nice 26" bikes are going for used.

If you are happy with 26" or perhaps even prefer the size you can really do well on Craigslist. There's nothing wrong with 26" wheels, I personally don't see myself ever riding them again but I also don't have much interest in 27.5" either. But realize that the market has embraced the 27.5" size, so there may come a day when finding rims and tires becomes harder. I don't think Yeti even makes any 26" bikes anymore. You'll always be able to get stuff but the selection of tires you like gets smaller or you are forced online.

It's true of lots of things. Technology evolves, the high end changes. It's unfortunate since I have a box full of nice Thomson 25.4mm stems, XTR V-brakes, Octalink BBs, 9-speed drivetrains and what-not that are all but useless now. And I'm not even riding what could charitably be called a cutting edge bike.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'd probably get a 27.5 with deore over a 26 with xtr but that's just me.

While i have a 29 i don't like the way it corners. Most likely with the older 26 you'll get triple rings and a bunch of stuff that's a pain now. There are more tire and rim choices in 27.5, etc.The 1x are so simple now too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The current Deore parts are really good and a high value, but XTR is always XTR. Super sweet flawless (mostly) operation and finish. But even XTR eventually wears out and technology eclipses older stuff, so I agree that a brand new Deore disc 1x11 is probably better than a few year old XTR 3x9 or even 2x10.

I also disagree about 29'ers, but I'm also not into full suspension and gears and have started to actually rather like (instead of tolerate) the belt drive. So my $0.02 is more like a halfpenny.

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Awesome info
Thank you !

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Go with 27.5

The used market is already flooded with them. The Sram GX drivetrain is actually really nice. Shifts and performs very similar to my xx1 stuff. The only people I know running Shimano have to because of their team.

26 is washed up. No new fancy tires coming out for 26". The SB66 will break and they dont have any rear triangles left. My girlfriend has gone through 2 ASR5c's, a SB66c and one SB5C frame. She's on her 5th Yeti in 2.5 years. All have been manufacturer defects. (vertical cracks in headtube, seatube broken above BB and split in downtube/bb junction.) The older 26 Mojo's arent great... Their newer stuff improved a ton.

PS if you ever need carbon frame repair... Ive been doing it for about 8 years now. ~50 frames repaired, about 30 of them have been Yeti's :lmao:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not everyone runs SRAM. Wes is running M786 & M985 (I think) on his new Fat Chance. Slowly converting my wife's Intense to M8000 as funds allow and needs arise. I'm at commitment point, the next change is a shifter or/and cassette when one of those current parts gives up. Terry is putting some fancy SRAM drivetrain on his new bike, though. My last encounter with shifting was M785 2x10 and I thought it was fine, I dunno. I still run those brakes and they have been excellent IMO. But I'm such a weenie I barely use a fraction of their capability with the fins and IceIceBabyTech.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member

I agree on the 29....less responsive in cornering. I think the 650 (27.5) might be the sweet spot.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Wes is running M786 & M985

I bought 180mm xtr cranks. I have a xtr rear drail and shifter in the box in the office so i'll be all xtr since i have xtr race brakes.

I'm scheming on how to get the new 27.5+ yo eddy past the wife..... :beer:

let me know next time you ride heil pic rock.

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Lots of good information
Thank you
Leaning towards 27.5 for sure

to throw another monkey wrench into the plans.... forget 26 and 27.5 and go straight to a 29er. After years of running a 29" XC bike, 26" on my 150mm AM/MiniDH rig and 26" on my 200mm dual crown DH rig i've replaced all of those bikes with a 150mm 29er.

With the new geometry on these things, it just does everything better. I've hit up all of the local trails, spent a week in Sedona, will have it out to Moab in a couple of weeks, plan to rack up 30+ days at winter park and keystone and make another trip to the PacNW for Whistler, Squamish and Pemby.

15di0z.jpg

they still got these on great clearance pricing:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-mega-290-pro-bike-2017/rp-prod145997

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It also probably depends on your frame size. 27.5 is a good wheel size for smaller frames where there is t much space for a 29" wheel