Little Help w/CB Install

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I recently purchased a Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio along with a firestik antenna and cable. I completed the install but having issues trying to dial it in with my Astatic meter. This may be a dumb question but do i need to add a ground?And if so any tips on setting this up?I also just purchased a BaoFeng BF-F8HP that i need to get set up as well, anyway here is my antenna install which is a 3' firestik.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 243

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It can be hard to get a good tune when the lower portion of the antenna is overlapping the body but lots of people are successful with that type of set-up. The fire-stick on the back of my 100 has never tuned up real well but does seem to work pretty well at least.

What SWR numbers are you getting on the meter so far?

Adding some grounds can be a big help at CB frequencies so you might consider a nice ground braid from the body to lift gate and body to tail gate since your antenna is back there those could make a difference. I'd also make sure the mount is well grounded to the coax shield and body.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good, I will post my numbers when i get back home.

Thanks for the reply!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What Andy mentions is that your antenna is parallel to the ground plane (the back of your vehicle). That's the reason many people put the antenna above one of the front fenders, so the ground plane is perpendicular to the antenna. The best performance will be in the middle of your roof, but you have to be pretty dedicated to drill a hole in the roof. Mag mounts work pretty well too.

One tip if you aren't getting good numbers: If you move the antenna mount up so that more of the antenna is above the truck, your performance will improve markedly. I have my ham antenna up toward the very top corner of my 80, and it works very well.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I think I'm having grounding issues with my setup as well.
I got my new antenna cable run and connected. Then I did the self diagnostic. Everything checks out except the antenna.
I'm wondering if the plastic insulators are too much maybe... I don't know.
If I need to attache a ground to this (because it's on my swing out), where does it need to attach?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.JPG
    IMG_4391.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The plastic is key because it's keeping the SIGNAL from getting to ground. You can use a meter to make sure the antenna system is not shorted out by checking the at the radio connector between the center pin and the outer braid.

Basically you need that center pin of the connector at the radio to not touch or connect to ground, it needs to get only to the antenna.

The coax outer braid should be well connected electrically to the mount and then the mount to the swing out, then the swing out to the bumper and finally the frame.

That explanation make sense?