Lift Suggestions?

Big-J

I would like to do a 2'' lift, but not exactly sure what I should go with for my 99Runner. Not trying to get into anything too spendy, but I do want quality.
Anyone know anything about the Rancho Quick Lift?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Rancho doesn't have a great rep on many products. Check with www.offroadsolutions.com, talk to Mike - he may take a while to get back to you but should return the call today or tomorrow and he is a great source of proven info. Tell him I sent you. He has done me a world of good through the years.

One quick and dirty option is All-Pro Tacoma spacers up front, and FZJ80 front coils in the rear. It puts the rear a *bit* too high but works very well. You will probably want swaybar extenders in the rear, or dispense with the rear swaybar entirely (leads to barely noticeable oversteer, no worries though).

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I think you may have just said "quality" and "Rancho Quick Lift" in the same sentence :eek:

For a simple reasonable quality 2" lift why not OME? That's their market and they do it well.

Big-J

:lol:...I didn't know Rancho was that bad, they make a pretty decent shock from what I remember(maybe not), but i didn't know anything about the lifts.

Thanks for the info Red Chili, I'll give that dude a call and see what he has to say.

Nay, thanks....I'll read up on OME!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Big J, have you been to yotatech? You won't find the same combination of intelligence & good looks that you'll find here with the Rising Sun croud :D, but there's gotta be a zillion 3rd Gen runner owners over there, all with opinions on lifts. It's at least worth a search to see what your options are. :) hth..

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think you may have just said "quality" and "Rancho Quick Lift" in the same sentence :eek:

For a simple reasonable quality 2" lift why not OME? That's their market and they do it well.
Actually, as the proud owner of an OME lift on the Taco, I would have to say their quality is top notch, but the result is a little disappointing. Rides like a board. YMMV, especially since the Taco has a four banger and no winch, but OME achieves lift by simply using longer springs (good idea so far) and preloading them more (that's where the idea goes south) on the same shock body. Harsh.

My wife's 4Runner on 2" spacers in the front, essentially lowering the top shock mount, rides just like stock. It is harder on the CV boots though, because the angle is greater. Trade-offs.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
My Dad's 97 has the OME 2" lift, and it rides great. Better than stock, but has an ARB with a winch up front, 3.4, and its a 4runner, so its heavy out back too.

Check out Sonoran Sonoran Steel Fabrication out of Tempe, AZ. Steve is a great guy to deal with, and basically wrote the book on 3rd gen aftermarket suspensions. He's got lots of info on his build process as well, from various IFS lifts up to his swap. He's tested just about every type of IFS lift for those trucks, and sells what he considers the best. He has a number of kits, depending on your budget.