lame tech - steering column plastic 80

Beater

Hard Core 4+
ok, so if your somewhat vertically challenged, this may not have happened to you.

My plastic cowl wont stay attached or together due to my knees having "touched" it a few times. Has anyone else dealt with this? Seems the bottom plastic has built in attachment points that have separated. Does this sound familiar?

Am I stuck ordering a new shroud?

j

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
This happened on my 62.. there were two screw bosses that broke off inside. Presuming the 80 is similar, you can take it apart and super glue them back on, and probably get another couple years off of it. Use scotch tape to create a little "form" around the broken area, then fill that area with baking soda. Then fill with super glue and let it dry, then remove your tape. The baking soda creates some extra meat that will help support the plastic, so by building up a gusset around the base of your now repaired screw boss, it's stronger than it would have been otherwise. hth?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
My truck is "older" and has lots of plastic parts that have cracked or turned to dust.

I took the column cover off, then looked at the cracked/broken plastic parts that the screws went into.

I used things like bic pen tubes and epoxy to rebuild the broken stancions. I used epoxy to reinforce the cracked ones. I drilled out the epoxy to about the right size for the screws and put it all back together.

SOLID for like 4 years now.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Use scotch tape to create a little "form" around the broken area, then fill that area with baking soda. Then fill with super glue and let it dry, then remove your tape. The baking soda creates some extra meat that will help support the plastic, ...
BAKING soda and SUPER GLUE? Yer kiddin'...! Really? Why baking soda, what does it do chemically?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
All I know is that in my world of plastics fabrication & repair it's used quite commonly as a filler, with good success. And the preferred super glue is called Zap-a-Gap http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt04.html, including the kicker. Also the 2-part epoxies work good as well, the kind that shoot through the little static mixer tip?

You can also surround a broken part with a piece of styrene, then bond the styrene to the part for added strength. This is more analogous to putting a cast around a broken bone.. just provides more support.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I have used baking soda and super glue for my motorcycle fairings. On the 80, does anyone know if the bottom piece of the shroud is supposed to bolt to the collumn?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
John,

I'd have to look again but IIRC the answer is no. I seem to remember 2 or 3 screws holding the shroud in place. One on both sides at the top and then one at the bottom left (by the hood and gas door release handles). I thought there was also one, maybe two, trim clip deals as well? It has been awhile since I've had mine off though....

EDIT: I think I'm confused on what part is being discussed :hill:

Last edited:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
You need to remove the top piece first(with a couple of screw from under neath), then you can also undo the 2 screws that hold on the bottom piece to the steering colum. I have repaired mine in the past with quick JBweld and made over lap to strengthen the screw holes.

Tim who would of thunk that Baking soda works with plastic and superglue.
later Robbie

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Yeah - the bottom pieces are fragged. the plastic surrounding the screws is gone on both the upper and lower. Looks like I am heading to the yota yard...